combined commerce and economics (1 Viewer)

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
how useful is a combined degree of commerce and economics in terms of employment prospects? would the double degree be useless, since both courses are sort of similar? would it be better to do Bcomm instead?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
how useful is a combined degree of commerce and economics in terms of employment prospects? would the double degree be useless, since both courses are sort of similar? would it be better to do Bcomm instead?
Not similar at all. Basically it just allows you to take three majors from the School of Business, rather than two. It's good if you can't make up your mind for what Comm majors you want, or if your primary interest is in Economics, but you want something else business-related to back this up.
Oh, and at UNSW it's only one extra year for Comm/Econ rather than just doing either, so it's pretty worth it, timewise.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
You also still get gen-eds and electives as well, since some commerce and economics subjects overlap. It's a really good choice because you graduate with 3 majors, and if you pick 2 majors in commerce that supplement economics well, you'll be on track for some good employment prospects and more options

akqjt

HSC
I know people that do comm/eco to space out their actuarial subjects (and because econometrics is easy to them).

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I know people that do comm/eco to space out their actuarial subjects (and because econometrics is easy to them).
A lot of actuarial kids do finance because its an even easier version of what they are doing already.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Its a great course:

BComm (Accounting + Finance)/BEcon

+ good marks

= Employment.

akqjt

HSC
A lot of actuarial kids do finance because its an even easier version of what they are doing already.
I meant they space their actuarial subjects out even more by doing both a finance and economics major as opposed to the 'hard core kids' that only do finance :p

Monsterman

HSC
Its a great course:

BComm (Accounting + Finance)/BEcon

+ good marks

= Employment.
how do employers know about marks? I always believed that it was a cert of participation with your degrees and thats it.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
how do employers know about marks? I always believed that it was a cert of participation with your degrees and thats it.
Nah mate lol

They get a copy of university transcript (generally) when you apply for a job.

Monstar

HSC
oh shitttt... knowing that just made me work harder this year..
Heres some tips i wish someone told me when uni started:

1. Dont think its just some mad bludge. Try hard and youll be rewarded. Great marks and a distinguished GPA likely puts you ahead of most others when applying for jobs.
2. Uni is indicative of effort. effort= better marks
3. Get involved and shit.. join some clubs and find what it takes to become an 'active member' or join a sports team.. looks great on your cv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)