College Questions (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shes_jinxed

HSC
Hi,
im currently a first year a Sydney, and want to apply for college next year but had a few questions
1. I want to go to Weasly or John's, but from what I've read here ppl hate John's, why? I've spent heaps of time at Drew's and Weasly with friends and they seem awersome, why is John's any different? I would love any info at all about Johns
2. I honestly dont think ill get into Weasly, my uai was only 91.65 and i bluged all last semester so my results aint that great but if i preference Weasly over Johns in my application will johns look at it?
3. finally just any info/tips about applications, how do i give myself the best chance of getting in

thanks

shes_jinxed

HSC
ok but if it was a choice between Johns and no college at all..... wouldnt even Johns be a better option?
Because even if I talk myself up heaps i really think Wesley aint going to take me
Didnt John's turn co-ed before Drews - How do you mean it hasnt worked? A bad attitude how?
Im sorry to be such a pain, its just kind of hard to find out about these places
my friend from drew's said that she thinks its just the same: nice ppl, parties, good grounds....... she also told me that Wesely guys HATE johns lol
anway
thaks heaps

boomalaka

HSC
I would strongly suggest against Johns unless you absoloutly can't get in anywhere else. To a simliar extent that applies to Wesley.
If you're committed to going co-ed then try your hardest to get into Drew's, it is by far the best co-ed college.

shes_jinxed

HSC
boomalaka said:
I would strongly suggest against Johns unless you absoloutly can't get in anywhere else. To a simliar extent that applies to Wesley.
If you're committed to going co-ed then try your hardest to get into Drew's, it is by far the best co-ed college.
Thanks for responding, but why, why is it so bad? I really dont mean to be a pain I just want to know
Drews is never going to take me my UAI is too low,
If i could pick any college it would be Wesley, but im sure I wont get accepted so I dont think that i should ruin my chances at college all together, and just apply to Johns

What do the colleges actually look at b/c - I went to boarding school, play sport, do music, and charity etc etc the only thing is my UAI and last marks semesters only high passes and credits

ah this is stressful but thanks

shes_jinxed

HSC
i thought that Jonhs would dely my application if i didnt preference them first?
wow you got offers from all three, are you amazingly good at sport or something like that? Or just fantastic in the interviews? which one did you choose if you dont mind me asking lol" Any hints for the interviews
Also im from sydney so the only reason i "need" to go to college is so i dont implode from the stress of living with my mother
anyway i guess im just going to think about it a little more, and decided if i waste my time applying to wesley
i really cant see whats so bad about Johns (their informal was going to be awersome before they got shut down) - cept they talk ALOT about church on their sight and although im catholic im not that catholic if that makes any sense lol

anyway thanks again for all your help

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Hey hey,

In terms of College locations, John's is closest to Hungry Wolf's Kebabs at Parramatta Rd, Haberfield. Which, I think, is it's biggest + (That and proximity to Sancta, for good, old fashioned Catholic marriages.)

I just thought I'd chip in with those plusses, given there is so much anti-Johns stuff out there :)

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
melbournian said:
How about proximity to the grose? that has to be its biggest plus
I am not convinced that the grose trumps hungry wolf's kebabs, but i am willing to defer to your position of superior authority on this point.

I could go a hungry wolf kebab right now, actually. But, the AFL footy show has started ... I'm so conflicted ...

shes_jinxed

HSC
ManlyChief said:
Hey hey,

In terms of College locations, John's is closest to Hungry Wolf's Kebabs at Parramatta Rd, Haberfield. Which, I think, is it's biggest + (That and proximity to Sancta, for good, old fashioned Catholic marriages.)

I just thought I'd chip in with those plusses, given there is so much anti-Johns stuff out there :)
Well there you go thats settled, kebabs it is lol :)

i dont think im going to marry any sancta girls.......... being a girl and all

so ive decieded - preference Johns first tehn Wesley - if Wesley wants an interview with me fine ill try and charm them then, or just harass them till they give me a spot lol - thanks melbournian

boomalaka

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
Thanks for responding, but why, why is it so bad? I really dont mean to be a pain I just want to know
Drews is never going to take me my UAI is too low,
If i could pick any college it would be Wesley, but im sure I wont get accepted so I dont think that i should ruin my chances at college all together, and just apply to Johns

What do the colleges actually look at b/c - I went to boarding school, play sport, do music, and charity etc etc the only thing is my UAI and last marks semesters only high passes and credits

ah this is stressful but thanks
Johns is bad for a few of the reasons described by Melbournian.
VD's are the best parties of the year and they get one only ever for bball, late in the year if ever.
The people are really rough. The girls are not treated very well at all. That's what Melb means when he says going co-ed hasn't worked.
The place may look impressive outside but inside it is a dirty filthy shithole and falling apart (anyone remember the beach party for o-week there).

One thing about Drew's. Without knowing the ins and outs of the application process, if you fancy yourself as a bit of a looker then your chances will skyrocket.

Oh and Melb I don't want to get in a shit fight over which colege is best....

You really know it's Pauls

shes_jinxed

HSC
they dont treat the girls well? :(
and they are rough? as in not private school lol

and not that i want to way in on the debate about the best college
but everyone of my friends says that Paul's has the hottest guys hands down lol

Sanchez__

HSC
I didnt bother to read the whole thing but I go to Wesley. UAI isnt that important its just one factor if your good at sports and have lots of extra stuff its probably more likely to get you in anyway (especially if your really good at a sport). I dont think drews would be that much harder to get into really so just apply everywhere. It seemed obvious to me that even if college x its not your first choice tell college x that they are your first choice. How are they going to know its not? Telling them it isnt your first choice is probably bad for your chances somewhat.

I wouldnt worry too much about college rivalry and hating each other. There might be plenty of sledging in sports etc but we dont actually hate johns people. I talk to more johns people in my classes than wesley people (well also cus wesley people werent stupid enough to do my subjects). Although it is true johns dont seem to get as involved in inter-col stuff they are still better than no college seeing as u want to go to college.

shes_jinxed

HSC
thank you for replying
im so confused i just dont want to stuff up and not get in anywhere because i will leave uni if i have to live at home another year
i keep chaning my mind - do i preference Johns or Wesley

i spoke to the lady at admin at Johns and she said that if i put Wesley down as my first preference then Johns wont get the application unless Wesley reject me

i actually had another question: Considering that Im already at uni i will be a fresher but in my second year of uni - is that highly unusual? Im not really worried becuase i know that 04 grads will be comming back from Gap etc, but just wondering......

thanks

boomalaka

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
thank you for replying
im so confused i just dont want to stuff up and not get in anywhere because i will leave uni if i have to live at home another year
i keep chaning my mind - do i preference Johns or Wesley

i spoke to the lady at admin at Johns and she said that if i put Wesley down as my first preference then Johns wont get the application unless Wesley reject me

i actually had another question: Considering that Im already at uni i will be a fresher but in my second year of uni - is that highly unusual? Im not really worried becuase i know that 04 grads will be comming back from Gap etc, but just wondering......

thanks
I wouldn't really worry about being second year. In some ways it's better. In most ways not, but your fresher year will still be one of the funnest you have regardless.

And just so you don't misinterpret me, Johns is still better than nothing, a lot better actually.
And about Johns being rough, they have lots of Joey's guys and a few View and Shore, but I mean rough just in that the colege is fairly dirty and they smack more piss than any other college...they're like perpetually smashed.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
thank you for replying
i
I doubt that is true. Its not a centralised system. While they collude over some things, I am pretty sure none of admin's intercollege mettings are to do with applications.

Why can't you just put them both as no 1?

shes_jinxed

HSC
melbournian said:
I doubt that is true. Its not a centralised system. While they collude over some things, I am pretty sure none of admin's intercollege mettings are to do with applications.

Why can't you just put them both as no 1?
Now i get why my question was so confusing to all the college ppl.... This year the application system has changed :( they are trying to stop ppl getting two offers and then picking which one they want to take you fill out a central form for all the colleges and preference them, so if i put johns down and crap on in my application about how great it is but dont get in, they will send my application on to my second preference which is wesley

Im going to go with Johns (then wesley), I have a friend at Wesley and i know she doesnt want me to go there, just talking about it she got all werid
and my friend at drews said as much as they hate johns its definiatly better than no college at all and that all the girls that go there seem to love it

I just wish i could talk to a johns person
do you know if i can take a tour? do i just ring and ask?

thanks

boomalaka

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
Now i get why my question was so confusing to all the college ppl.... This year the application system has changed :( they are trying to stop ppl getting two offers and then picking which one they want to take you fill out a central form for all the colleges and preference them, so if i put johns down and crap on in my application about how great it is but dont get in, they will send my application on to my second preference which is wesley

Im going to go with Johns (then wesley), I have a friend at Wesley and i know she doesnt want me to go there, just talking about it she got all werid
and my friend at drews said as much as they hate johns its definiatly better than no college at all and that all the girls that go there seem to love it

thanks
Not entirely true. I know for a fact that Paul's and Women's have their own individula application process, and I think Drew's does as well. Last year and this year and next year.

And you can ring up and request a tour but you can do them at any open day or at your interview, but that may be a little too late.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
shes_jinxed said:

thanks
you have to have a single list of preferences, the principals do check with each other over what ranking you put each college. i applied only to drews, quite late (like november), i'm not that sporty but i chucked netball on my app, i predicted my UAI would only be 91+ (i got 93.15), but i got accepted on the spot. porges doesn't really care about sport. if you can wrangle up some extracurriculars, turn up dressed nice and be articulate and sound intelligent and mature, he'll love you. and don't worry about your UAI, one of my friends at drews got about 86 or 88 and she got in easy. don't give up on drews just because of that. as for the standardised app form, i think that was rejected, at least we rejected it and i'm sure women's did.

but like i said in the other thread, john's is definitely worth an app, its about the same at drews unless you're into sport (in which case it's drew's all the way!).

who do you know at drews?

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
boomalaka said:
Johns is bad for a few of the reasons described by Melbournian.
VD's are the best parties of the year and they get one only ever for bball, late in the year if ever.
The people are really rough. The girls are not treated very well at all. That's what Melb means when he says going co-ed hasn't worked.
The place may look impressive outside but inside it is a dirty filthy shithole and falling apart (anyone remember the beach party for o-week there).

One thing about Drew's. Without knowing the ins and outs of the application process, if you fancy yourself as a bit of a looker then your chances will skyrocket.

Oh and Melb I don't want to get in a shit fight over which colege is best....

You really know it's Pauls
we have a pauline in our midst! who's that?

shes_jinxed

HSC
welshi said:
you have to have a single list of preferences, the principals do check with each other over what ranking you put each college. i applied only to drews, quite late (like november), i'm not that sporty but i chucked netball on my app, i predicted my UAI would only be 91+ (i got 93.15), but i got accepted on the spot. porges doesn't really care about sport. if you can wrangle up some extracurriculars, turn up dressed nice and be articulate and sound intelligent and mature, he'll love you. and don't worry about your UAI, one of my friends at drews got about 86 or 88 and she got in easy. don't give up on drews just because of that. as for the standardised app form, i think that was rejected, at least we rejected it and i'm sure women's did.

but like i said in the other thread, john's is definitely worth an app, its about the same at drews unless you're into sport (in which case it's drew's all the way!).

who do you know at drews?
i dont really want to say lol just becuase i dont want them to know that im randomly asking question on bos about college lol
ok ... they are really really close two girls and they knew each other b4 uni - i guess that may apply to more than a few, anyway we went to school together and i boarded with one for a while, and as much as a love them dearly i dont want to go to the same college as them

mathock

HSC
i think the worst thing you can do when considering colleges is ask college kids about other colleges... i know its a reflex of mine being at wesley to bag pauls boys whenever i get the chance, and vice versa... the rivalries between the colleges wont help you decide at all, it'll just make your decision harder... on the other hand, if you were to talk to kids about their own college and guage their responses, you might be able to work out where you fit in... every college has a different character, and you wont fit in to some as well as others (one of my mates should DEFINITELY have gone to pauls)... i wouldn't worry bout it too much, you will have a great time wherever you are...

especially wesley :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)