• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cloverfield (2 Viewers)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
thought the ending was the intermission.
it was quite good, but it just seemed to end, a better ending and it would've been a great film.

Collin

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
it was quite good, but it just seemed to end, a better ending and it would've been a great film.
I thought the ending was excellent. The narrative in its entirety is obviously supposed to be playback of an amateur handycam tape, so you can't expect a convention 'Hollywood ending'. Abrupt non-happy endings ftw.

I'm not sure what alot of people are complaining about in this respect.. perhaps they wanted Clover killed and the helicopter to fly off into the sunset, followed by some frantic celebrations with the military and a wedding between Rob and Beth. Right.

The ending was unconventional and I thought it was appropriate. There is nothing more shit than a conventional ending to an unconventional film like this. How many times have we seen a good film only to be ruined with a crap ending?

As I was watching the film, I thought 'this is great, they better not fuck it up with some shithouse ending'.
Then at the end we see Rob sum up the story with his little monologue before Hammerdown kills the two lovebirds.
I left satisfied.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Collin said:
I thought the ending was excellent. The narrative in its entirety is obviously supposed to be playback of an amateur handycam tape, so you can't expect a convention 'Hollywood ending'. Abrupt non-happy endings ftw.

I'm not sure what alot of people are complaining about in this respect.. perhaps they wanted Clover killed and the helicopter to fly off into the sunset, followed by some frantic celebrations with the military and a wedding between Rob and Beth. Right.

The ending was unconventional and I thought it was appropriate. There is nothing more shit than a conventional ending to an unconventional film like this. How many times have we seen a good film only to be ruined with a crap ending?

As I was watching the film, I thought 'this is great, they better not fuck it up with some shithouse ending'.
Then at the end we see Rob sum up the story with his little monologue before Hammerdown kills the two lovebirds.
I left satisfied.

i just thought that maybe, a scene of the aftermath would've been appropriate, possibly a shot of the military as they were watching the tape.

i've heard rumours of a sequel, so that will be interesting.

Collin

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
i just thought that maybe, a scene of the aftermath would've been appropriate, possibly a shot of the military as they were watching the tape.
I think that would of been totally inappropriate. I actually expected that as the tape came to an end, with the camera zooming out showing a group of defence officials at a Pentagon table churning over what they just saw, but this movie is a complete replay of an amateur tape we just found. It is NOT a conventional narrative film and thus should not be turned into such in any part of the movie (especially suddenly at the end). What the tape recorded is what the audience sees and we are left to ponder any gaps. It would of just been pathetic to show a full amateur clip, including old written-over areas still poking out periodically (Beth's apartment at the beginning, segments of them two at the Park etc.) for the entire film, then have some military chiefs to discuss a few things about it at the very end. It would of ruined the film, IMO and I'm thankful Reeves and Abrams didn't include something like that.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Watched it last night, I thought it was pretty cool. I didn;t get motion sickness because I'm not a pussy.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
risole91 said:
Wasn't it blatantly obvious from the opening? "Found in the area formerly known as central park." Then they were in Central Park, oh snap, I wonder?!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I shouldn't have watched this on a Friday immediately after work. Why did everyone have to die? The ending brought down my facade of emotional strength, it was the final blow to bring down the full burden of my shitty life, bringing me to tears for the first time in months.

Depressing movie woo!

Sonata

HSC
everyone didnt die, there was one that survived the, lady who got to get on the helicopter, though the couple and the cam guy got left behind due insufficient room

Collin

HSC
N/A
Sonata said:
everyone didnt die, there was one that survived the, lady who got to get on the helicopter, though the couple and the cam guy got left behind due insufficient room
SUPPOSEDLY.

Virious

HSC
efhat said:
Anyone seen the preview? looks abit fukin weird to me....but im curious :)
thats movie is the crappiest peice of crap that came out of a crapper.

basket.case

HSC
... yeah well what were we expecting from Abrams? Lost plays up the whole answer-an-unsolvable-plot-point-with-another thing almost *too* well. The concept was brilliance. Not sure if it followed through 100% though.

To the sequel, I'd be interested to see how they'd approach that. Perhaps document the same night through another group of friends? Or not original enough.. I don't know.
With a story like that it's pretty hard to avoid cliche,
which I think the movie scraped past (just, with that masterful finish hehe).
Mind you, from the first few scenes after the attack, pretty obv. which were gonna get killed off. (Although some 'deaths' were pretty kickass I must say)

.. Did I enjoy it? Yes, as I went to see it with absolutely no expectation. Had I jumped on the whole viral campaign thing I probably would be left a little unsatisfied. It probably didn't help that my friend I saw it with spent the most crucial moments breathing deeply into their popcorn bag, with me fearing I'd get vomited on, as opposed to the 'monster'.
But, ultimately, widescreen dolby NY destruction vs. killling off stereotyped wannabes one by one = ftw.

In any case, more thrills than I've had in a cinema seat recently

:apig:

..Thoughts?

catherinet

HSC
When i was on holidays in Coffs Harbour my brother and i were walking past the movie theatre and a couple in their mid 40's came out of the theatre and told us not to see cloverfield because it was terrible.
They said that it didn't even have a valid plot or proper conversation in it.

.deimonic

HSC
I thought the movie was decent.... well the part that I did watch. I had to leave half-way because I was going to throw up. Wtf I got motion sickness from a movie and I don't even get it in real life...

HSC
When i was on holidays in Coffs Harbour my brother and i were walking past the movie theatre and a couple in their mid 40's came out of the theatre and told us not to see cloverfield because it was terrible.
They said that it didn't even have a valid plot or proper conversation in it.
Never. Ever. Ever! Listen to other people about movies. Judge for yourself.

Fucking lol @ all the people who are like "TEH KAMERA IZ SO SHAKEYY!" fucking der, ladies and gents THAT ADDS TO THE POINT OF THE FILM. It was a deliberate technique.

Pace_T

HSC
Never. Ever. Ever! Listen to other people about movies. Judge for yourself.

Fucking lol @ all the people who are like "TEH KAMERA IZ SO SHAKEYY!" fucking der, ladies and gents THAT ADDS TO THE POINT OF THE FILM. It was a deliberate technique.

whether it was deliberate or not doesnt fucking matter. the movie would have been better without it.

HSC
whether it was deliberate or not doesnt fucking matter. the movie would have been better without it.
:spzz:

No! No it wouldn't!

It wouldn't be what they were aiming for if they'd done it with a steady cam. It only attributed to what the directors were quite obviously seeking.

It would of been a completely different film without it. Not quality wise, but content. They couldn't of done a faux home-made movie any other way. It wouldn't of been as believable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)