• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cloverfield (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
It was fucking awesome. Masterful storytelling and the amateur handycam cinematography is strikingly effective. Just don't sit at the front. Contrary to many, I also liked the ending. A conventional ending to such an unconventional film would of just been shit.

I'm seeing it again.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
They says you can see some object falling into the sea at the end of the movie, when the camera looks out towards Coney Island

Unsettling. Mostly because you know it could be happening right now, and we wouldn't know. :(

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Apparently there's a clip/audio at the end of the credits that
suggests the monster and/or couple are still alive

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'd say that

since it was someone from the DoD who was watching their movie the whole time we were watching, that it was the DoD employee who told us that "it's still alive". Wouldn't make too much sense for our heroes to survive the MOAB blast as well as a massive stone bridge falling on top of them

Collin

HSC
N/A
Annegelic said:
Apparently there's a clip/audio at the end of the credits that
suggests the monster and/or couple are still alive
The monster is most definitely still alive, I doubt the couple is.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
just saw this movie today.

wasn't expecting much. but t'was an awesome movie. loved the scene where u see the military firing at it. god that was awesome.

what about the subway part! that part made me go "holy shit!" >< haha.

many unanswered questions.. but that's what i like about this movie. lol; supposed to see the movie through the 'huds' eyes.

he was my fav character though haha. hudson XD

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I saw this movie. I actually quite enjoyed it - weird, cause I've hated most movies I've seen in the last year besides Knocked Up. I would've enjoyed it more, but I was thinking of 'Stevo.' at the time.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I love movies where stuff gets destroyed and people have to run away.

So might watch this tomorrow.

I think that people who watch end of the world-type movies always have a plan. Usually it's something like "run to the hills and wait til it all blows over", but it'll save them time when the monster/aliens/zombies attack.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
shinji said:
loved the scene where u see the military firing at it. god that was awesome.
God yes. I was in one of those fancy Dolby Digital type places. I don't know how big the subwoofer thing was but damn that was loud. Bloody awesome. If I ever hire it out I'm gonna have to basically have all the speakers about an inch away from my eyes and be sitting on top of the subwoofer to get the same quality of sound.

Awesome stuff.

Collin

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
loved the scene where u see the military firing at it.
That was one of my favorite scenes, along with the B-2 raining down on Clover towards the end.

One reason I love this film is due to the immersion factor. Did you notice that the firing scene was exceptionally loud? Abrams wanted realism, so the decibel ceiling was raised for that scene. If you've ever used firearms or been near the vicinity of military exercises, you'll know that they're quite deafening - and I mean seriously thunderous. Everything about that scene, all the way down to the firing mechanics of the M1-A2 tanks was done exceptionally well.

I was pretty surprised to find that movie also only cost <$35m. They sure convinced me it was gonna look >$120m'er.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
oh the way it was shot was so well done. they really did their best to immerse the audience as much as possible.

as far as a monster flick goes, ive seen better (godzilla yo, the modern one)

but decent film, would recommend watching.

Collin

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
as far as a monster flick goes, ive seen better (godzilla yo, the modern one)
You mean the 98' one directed by Roland Emmerich (with that Puff Daddy track)? Decent movie, brainlessly entertaining.. but that was it. A very conventional monster film with your typical cohort of cliche'd characters that leaves little to the imagination. Walking out at the credits is the last time you'll think about it.

Kinda like Transformers for me, except Transformers was absolutely at the top of its game in regards to what it set out to do.

On the other hand, I truly believe Cloverfield breathes new life into this dead genre and proves there's still fertile soil left to be tilled in this particular arena.

I hear two sequels are under consideration by Reeves. Not sure what to make of it - if they keep the formula they had for this film (which obviously does NOT appeal to everyone, e.g many hated the ending) then I'm absolutely keen for it. If they get another director which may just turn it into a shithouse typical, then I hope the project never gets off the ground.

dooopy

HSC
i rekon it is not that good because it made me felt dizzy throughout the whole film lol :p

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
wasn't thrilling or scary enough tbh, i found myself laughing most of the time. was alright though, just nothing special.

HalcyonSky

HSC
sunjet said:
wasn't thrilling or scary enough tbh, i found myself laughing most of the time. was alright though, just nothing special.
the helicopter scene made me feel a little uneasy, but most of the carnage was so satisfying that i was laughing alot of the time, which is the feeling this movie aims for imo

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I was praying for a couple of steady shots, but the hand-held camera was really effective. Great immersion.

I loved seeing things exploding, Beth's building leaning on the other building, the little bits and pieces Hud sees on the way, like tanks being crushed. I liked the giant monster with little giant lice things falling off it, seeing as avoiding a monster is relatively straightforward but avoiding a zillion little ones is hard.

I hope any sequels go into the future, so we can learn a little more about where the monster came from. I was expecting a traditional military-briefs-the-survivors thing but it never happened, seeing as it occured over 7 hours and the military didnt know anything. According to the director, the monster is a baby so maybe mama will turn up in the next movie.

Some things:
When Marlena explodes! As soon as only one person was bitten you KNEW something was going to happen. Probably my favourite bit.
The garbled stuff after the credits is backwards and says "it's still alive" or "im still alive" or something. So there's deffo a sequel. And the thing falling into the ocean at Coney Island could be one of two things- the monster, or a satellite that falls into the ocean and awakes the monster who's been dormant there for ages. Sez various websites that i can't be arsed referencing. Also apparently there's a guy on the bridge who's filming Hud before it collapses, and the director sees that as an intersection between two movies.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Collin

HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
I was praying for a couple of steady shots, but the hand-held camera was really effective. Great immersion.

I loved seeing things exploding, Beth's building leaning on the other building, the little bits and pieces Hud sees on the way, like tanks being crushed. I liked the giant monster with little giant lice things falling off it, seeing as avoiding a monster is relatively straightforward but avoiding a zillion little ones is hard.

I hope any sequels go into the future, so we can learn a little more about where the monster came from. I was expecting a traditional military-briefs-the-survivors thing but it never happened, seeing as it occured over 7 hours and the military didnt know anything. According to the director, the monster is a baby so maybe mama will turn up in the next movie.

Some things:
When Marlena explodes! As soon as only one person was bitten you KNEW something was going to happen. Probably my favourite bit.
The garbled stuff after the credits is backwards and says "it's still alive" or "im still alive" or something. So there's deffo a sequel. And the thing falling into the ocean at Coney Island could be one of two things- the monster, or a satellite that falls into the ocean and awakes the monster who's been dormant there for ages. Sez various websites that i can't be arsed referencing. Also apparently there's a guy on the bridge who's filming Hud before it collapses, and the director sees that as an intersection between two movies.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Via the viral marketing, Taragutu's site stated that one of their satelittes fell out of orbit and was lost. This is what woke up the monster from its dormant state. J. J. Abrams once confirmed that the monster had already been deep underwater in a hibernating state for thousands of years.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
The pokemon swampbert (mudkips evolution) is the cloverfield monster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)