clerkship applications (1 Viewer)

HSC
i think the big firms expect you to work hard, although i don't think they're as hardcore as the americans in terms of crazy work hours

iwannarock

HSC
far fetched or faaaaaanciiiiiful

faaaaaar fetched or fanciiiiiiiiful.

fuck that made me giggle.

:rofl:

Belinda

O_o
HSC
~Hundred billion legal fees...

Wow... that video... *speechless*:eek:

HSC
got rejected by sparke helmore :( nobody loves me

i hope i get some second round interviews - or even one - it's quite the downer to get in on your marks and booted out on your personality

HSC
thanks g2g, tho i would've thought my marks were pretty suitable for sparke - they rejected three of my friends because they had 4.0s - so they thought they'd be likely to go to a bigger firm. i had an early morning interview, so i probably came off a bit vague - will blame it on the lack of coffee, rather than the fact that EVERYBODY HATES ME *sob* ;)

HSC
thanks sweetie, i'd love to think so but i think it's more i didn't come off so well in the interviews

but... the second round totals are all now in

rejections: sparke helmore, minter ellison (damn!), holding redlich, deacons (probably shouldn't have told them i spent all of first year drunk)

second round interviews: clayton utz, dibbs abbott stillman, middletons (woot)

wish me mountainous luck!! (i'm going to need it)

HSC
all those long hours of studying and stressing

all those long hours writing applications begging firms to consider me

all that time spent on events, and money spent on stockings (which - aside - only eva last for one wear - if you're lucky)

PAID OFF!!!! I'm going to be clerking at Clayton Utz in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Wow, Scarecrow congrats!!!!!! :D Thats fantastic!

One friend got Deakins and G+T, but is taking G+T because she is a media law fanatic.

So excited for you!

And yes, stockings do suck. They are such a waste of money... but are so hot in those 3 hours they survive for.

Meanwhile, I continue to plod along, with no real direction, and live vicariously through people I know ;)

So, does this guarantee you a graduate position?

HSC
thanks guys :) i am massively, massively thrilled about it

mj can i ask what ur friend's first name is? we're trying to do a count - i think last year's was 8 who got them from mac (according to my census sources) but this year we reckon it's about 15.

and yes it does mean i'm pretty much guaranteed a grad position - i discussed this with them in the interview. they've taken all their clerks for the last few years. as long as i don't blow up the building i was told i'm pretty set :) if it's just part of the building that gets blown up then it really depends upon which part. if it's private equity i might be ok, but if it's the kitchen i'm pretty sure i'm doomed.

mj u gorgeous thing when u start applying for jobs they will be jumping all overthemselves to hire you! there will be murder and mayham! woot!

iwannarock

HSC
congrats on the clerkship!

:wave:

and theres a firm with the initials G & T?

i must work for them!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
When I was back in the law frame of mind, I thought G+T would be the ultimate.. but I think thats because I associated them with the delicious alcoholic beverage. I imagined them sitting around all day, overlooking the harbour, drinking....

Scarecrow, I've PM'd you her name. How many people have got in so far? I know another guy who got through second round with Clayton, but not sure if he was accepted, so I might know one of your new pals! ;) What rotations are you in?

I was going to suggest that you blow up their family law department... and then remembered that the partner of that section has already done that!! ;)

HSC
thanks mj - i'll pm u who i know got one

and what - someone blew up the family law dept?

do u guys know anything about a smoking controversy that happened there a while back? someone alluded to it to one of my friends at a party but she wasn''t sure what it was all about... is that how it happened?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Re: family law department. The woman who was put as partner in their newly established FL dept stuffed up her time sheets during a case, and overcharged the client dramatically. She ended up going back and forging them all. They discovered it when she presented the court with timesheet entries which were old and had been replaced for the last year or so... when the work was only a few months old. Or something like that. So she was fired, and they just gave up on FL matters.

With the tobacco company they were representing BAT Aust and it was something about their 'document retention policy'... meaning they advised BAT to destroy ALL their documents regarding ill health in smokers and things like that, all this damning evidence. I think they did it after another tobacco case resulted in the plaintiff getting damages. Its mentioned in our ethics text a few times as what not to do ;)

HSC
thanks guys!

g2g can u pm me her first name - we're trying to do a count. so far it's 13 we've found from mac - we did great this year, last year i'm told it was something like 8 - and it may be as high as 20. woot go macquarie!!

was a great year all round to be applying - over 50 extra spots opened up by the big firms compared to last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)