Class of 03 - uni? (1 Viewer)

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Just some advice...

Class of 03, a uni is a uni. No uni is necessarily better then one or the other, and Sydney is not the greatest uni around. The prestige means nothing (you'll believe THAT when you see the student cards!!!)

I was heartbroken when I didn't get into Sydney (sad, I know...)
But I now LOVE macquarie. it's a great campus with a great atmosphere and everyone's friendly and it's not too big or too small.

In conclusion, don't focus too much on one uni and go to ALL the open days. It's the best way to find the best course.

And don't believe the hype about the usyd clubs. Rumour has it the chocolate eating one doesn't even exist! :eek:

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by ellebelle
Like so many other people, i wanna do arts/law, or maybe media/law. i feel so unoriginal but it's truely what i want to do.

Only problem is getting the UAI needed for sydney uni. Maybe if i just top the state in legal studies they'll let me in... hey, for me it's more likely than getting the 99+ UAI!

to a uni where they'll let you in on something like 94 (way mroe reasonable) for law, and then at the end of the year try to transfer to usyd. Its what im doing and so far its turned okayish.

MiKeY

HSC
University of Wollongong

Definately goin' to chose Wollongong as first preference.

Bachelor of Marine Science
OR
Combined Law/Science degree.. I dunno. :/

But most probably Marine Science... hopefully Bachelor of Marine Science Advanced (if i get 90+UAI.. :p)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by ellebelle
Like so many other people, i wanna do arts/law, or maybe media/law. i feel so unoriginal but it's truely what i want to do.

Only problem is getting the UAI needed for sydney uni. Maybe if i just top the state in legal studies they'll let me in... hey, for me it's more likely than getting the 99+ UAI!
yeah a chick from yr 12 2002 wanted to do arts law but she only got 99.6 something, and she didnt get it. but she told the skool that she was gonna do something else and do the arts degree later... so yeah. theres always a way round something.

Originally posted by pinkbella
Class of 03, a uni is a uni. No uni is necessarily better then one or the other, and Sydney is not the greatest uni around. The prestige means nothing (you'll believe THAT when you see the student cards!!!)
yeah thats true, i just want to get into uni - but i do have preferences thats all... but ANY UNI is fine!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ

yeah a chick from yr 12 2002 wanted to do arts law but she only got 99.6 something, and she didnt get it. but she told the skool that she was gonna do something else and do the arts degree later... so yeah. theres always a way round something.

She only got 99.6 and didn't get in? what the fuck???? do you mean she didn't get didn't the 99.6 that she needed to do arts/law at usyd? Cause with 99.6 you can do pretty much anything you want.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
i'm so confused about my uni preferences and courses..so far in my head as it stands:
the first two are really ambitious but meh..worth a try..

- MIT (USA) - forensic anthropology majoring in biomedical sciences
i need to sit the stupid SAT and ACT though..oh well thats like 5 major exams for me this year!!

- oxford university (England) - applied chemistry in medical applications i need to sit the GAMSAT and i need to get into top 8% in hsc to be elegible for acceptance..(heres hoping)

- UTS - either bcS(Hon) in applied chemistry in forensic sciences or
BsC in biomedical sciences in forensic biology
and then if finally not any of them

- UNSW - medicine.. have so sit the UMAT for that...
whole hear full of fun fun fun!!!

SAT, ACT, GAMSAT, UMAT and most importantly HSC!!!
heh..:rolleyes:
see yas

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by equinoxinc
i'm so confused about my uni preferences and courses..so far in my head as it stands:
the first two are really ambitious but meh..worth a try..

- MIT (USA) - forensic anthropology majoring in biomedical sciences
i need to sit the stupid SAT and ACT though..oh well thats like 5 major exams for me this year!!

- oxford university (England) - applied chemistry in medical applications i need to sit the GAMSAT and i need to get into top 8% in hsc to be elegible for acceptance..(heres hoping)

- UTS - either bcS(Hon) in applied chemistry in forensic sciences or
BsC in biomedical sciences in forensic biology
and then if finally not any of them

- UNSW - medicine.. have so sit the UMAT for that...
whole hear full of fun fun fun!!!

SAT, ACT, GAMSAT, UMAT and most importantly HSC!!!
heh..:rolleyes:
see yas
you sound like me....only I missed the cut off for the SAT registration

professor

i wanted to do Aeronautical Engineering in SydUni and after a yr go into the army and get a scholarship...hope i get an UAI of 93+ *prays*

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by pinkbella
Just some advice...

LOL so true about the student cards! They are the only UNI that laminates a bit of cardboard crap instead of giving you a plastic card...whenever I show mine to get a concession on the bus, the busdriver always holds and inspects it like it's a fake! :D
Sydney also rips off students with it's massive guild fees, and completely ignores the poor kiddies liek me who aren't studying on the main campus! And the facilities aren't all that crash hot either.
Other than the pretige factor, you ain't missing much! I think I'd be more happy at a smaller UNI like Macquarie...pretty much the same deal, but cheaper!;)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
at this stage, Vet Sci/Animal Sci at Sydney Uni, otherwise, Ag Sci at either Sydney, CSU or UNE (just cos i want to live on campus... lol - nah not the only reason!)
guess it all depends on marks eh!

Twintip

Just looking at the list of courses. I want to go to Sydney, so these are all at Sydney (easier to get to, the ski club has a lodge at Thredbo, etc :p).

In no particular order (when I do my prefs I'll obviously rank them from highest to lowest UAI req and then ditch the ones that I don't like when they're put into order).

B Com (liberal studies)

B Combined Law (Sci or Com, I can't decide!)
B Science Adv (if I want to do sci/law and don't get the 99.6)
B Commerce (as above, for com/law. I may do the lib. studies course however in place of this)

B Med Sci (if I want to do med, because it's post-grad at USyd, unlikely)
B Eng/B Med Sci (as above, if I decide I like the engineering aspect which I may)

B Veterinary Science (not likely)

B Sc (adv)/B Com

B Psychology (a random interest)

I think I'll only go to UNSW if I decide I want to do med straight away if I go nuts in UMAT, I want to do architecture (highly unlikely I think although I don't know enough) or I want to do their Commerce/Science degree for whatever reason.

As you can see, I have no idea! :D

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*knows everyone is going to say TYPICAL AZN, but fuggit, this is what I want to do*

UNSW Med, UNewcastle Med, USYD Com/Law, UNSW Com/Law, UTS Biz/Law, MacQ Com/Law...etc.

trinity

yeh I wanna do either vet sci or graduate med at syd (does neone know if that's good?) or something science... or maybe architecture...
argh i have no idea:confused: - it changes everyday...neone else like that??

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I wanna do somefing like Bio technology or Bio informatics...
If i dun get that high prob computer science or communication

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by professor
now thats azn!
Lol... im guessing that would be a growing profession... cause heaps of people these days are wanting alternative methods for getting better rather than just western medicine

professor

Originally posted by Beaky

Lol... im guessing that would be a growing profession... cause heaps of people these days are wanting alternative methods for getting better rather than just western medicine
yea, but i've been using chinese medicine basically from the day i was born...

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I'm going for Medicine at UNSW, but if I fail the UMAt/interview, I'm going straight for Vet Science at Usyd, which I really want to do as well. (if all that fails, probably Software engineering at UTS, it's a big leap from medicine, I know.)

I'm not going to doom myself to the Medical Science post grad course at Usyd, because the people I know who are doing it claim it's very hard and the GAMSAT test is like a repetition of the HSC. Apparently it's very stressful and competitive since there are so many people trying to transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)