Civilization IV (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hmm, not sure if anyone else is a fan of the Civ series but Civ 4 just got released. And so far the reviews has been very good. To my dismay. Since now I won't be getting much sleep again, like when Civ III was released.

Gamespot review (9.4/10.. I think the highest since WoW)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationiv/review.html?page=0

Opener line: "If you're a fan of the incredibly addictive Civilization strategy series and haven't bought Civilization IV yet, you can probably stop reading now to go buy the game."

Video review also available if you're a Gamespot complete member.

__

IGN Review (9.4)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/660/660495p1.html

Opener: "Let's get it out of the way right at the start: the only reason to stop playing Civilization IV is to tell other people just how good the game is."

Video review also available.

Going shopping later on, gonna grab F.E.A.R, Quake IV & Battlefield 2 (yes, I've been bumming on the demo for far too long).. and probably this aswell. Mwahahahaha goodbye sleep..

Collin

HSC
N/A
I see a few Civ IV discussions here and there so bump.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Turn-Based Strategy?

If so, AoE3 it is.
Civ has always been TBS, I think once they tried some timed turns to turn it into a sort of RTS. Have you checked out Europe Universalis before? From what i've read in reviews about Civ it already has a lot of it built in (ie religion, morale, production effects and so on). EU is also very indepth with diplomacy and it's RTS but on a World map scale (huuuuggeee).

Collin

HSC
N/A
I love the fact that Civ IV is turn-based. Another game which played like a hybrid between AoE & Civ was Rise of Nations.. alot of it was empire building throughout 6,000 years, with a plethora of units over the ages. Difference was, it was in real-time, not turn-based. Now this game is great, no doubt (it DID get PC Gamer's RTS of the year in 03).. but for a type of game with such complexity, where the main focus isn't necessarily combat but instead politics (and power, which can of course always result from military might), culture, religion, conquest, science etc., it didn't play out very well. Of course I love Civ for those elements.. and I've come to realise (through experience over other games.. such as RoN) that for these kind of games, it's a huge advantage to be turn-based.

Btw, I dunno if I'm gonna get Civ IV, Civ III wasn't so great for my social life, exam marks, work performances etc. :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Btw, I dunno if I'm gonna get Civ IV, Civ III wasn't so great for my social life, exam marks, work performances etc.
Just never get wow, I had to quit like it was a drug.

Personally I hated RON, but I loved Empire Earth... The first one at least, the second one is much more like RON.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I never got WoW because I was never really into roleplaying (although I did enjoy Dungeon Siege) and that I wasn't into WarCraft.. infact I loathed WarCraft but I loved StarCraft. But then I heard about how addictive it was, so now I've been staying away like a plague.

Argonaut: I never got totally addicted into games either before Civ III. Before Civ III, I've never played a turn-based strategy game ever.. always RTS. Then when I got into it, I would often stay up all night playing it, not study, not answer calls etc. I know it's sad, but hey I couldn't help it. That's one reason I think I might stay away from Civ IV.

Nowadays I've been more into FPS only, it's fast intense action, not as addictive in the way that it would make you stay up and be late for work, assignments etc. and seeing I built a $3,000 machine just for these graphic whoreness games.. I slowly got over my old love of strategy. I remember the first RTS I bought was around 7-8 years ago.. Dark Reign. Oh man, good memories.

the game style of civ4 is different to starcraft and warcraft 3 isnt it? is civ just like a map with little units everywhere and u just move the pieces? where as starcraft is more realistic?

Collin

HSC
N/A
codereder said:
the game style of civ4 is different to starcraft and warcraft 3 isnt it? is civ just like a map with little units everywhere and u just move the pieces? where as starcraft is more realistic?
To sum it up, the main differences is that games like SC and W3 are mainly combat focused. Everything you do and own in the game is related to the goal of the eventual destruction of the other players (or AI). For Civ, it's about empire building, politics, culture establishment, economy, running of a nation, trade, war & conquest, science etc. where the military aspect plays only an aspect of it.

So in a way, you can view the premise of RTS strategy as a subset of what needs to be considered in games like Civ.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
ill downlo... buy it after the exams, the Civ games were quite fun.
AoE and other RTS games annoy me. Its all about who can whore the resources and build the fastest to win.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
im an idiot said:
ill downlo... buy it after the exams, the Civ games were quite fun.
AoE and other RTS games annoy me. Its all about who can whore the resources and build the fastest to win.
u just suck at the games

Stan..

HSC
Alpha Centuri was awesome, I never got a chance to play Civ 3 or 4.

HSC
anyone been able to play civ4?

I bought it a week ago and have been playing it since. Eventhough it has a few bugs here and there, it is a bloody good game...lol, im addicted to it (again) - lucky I bought it after exams!

The only bad thing is that it tends to lag sometimes on larger maps so I have to use smaller maps, but even the standard size maps are fairly big.

Multiplayer works great! Only problem there is that multiplayer games can sometimes just crash which is annoying but hoping will be fixed soon with new patches.

What does everyone else think of it?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
euskadi_warrior said:
What does everyone else think of it?
I enjoy loooong games but long not because it takes 20 turns to build a silly unit (epic). I actually enjoyed the old map more, things like wolves dissapear in the woods and I don't think I have resources worked out properly yet :)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
Yeah, I obtained it today ;)

Haven't played it much yet - been pretty busy. But it looks pretty hot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)