Chippin' in for Petrol and other Matters (1 Viewer)

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
in my own situation, i can't drive & my boyfriend only drives his parents' second car (& so doesn't pay for petrol usually). i have paid like $10 for petrol once because we were literally about to break down from lack of, & he didn't have his wallet as he was just dropping me off at a friend's birthday two suburbs away. it was the least i could do.

generally, if both partners can/do drive then i think one asking the other for petrol money is a little out of line. i probably wouldn't even offer, unless it was a long trip. & i don't think i'd accept if my boyfriend offered me petrol money if i was (hypothetically) driving him around.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
Well, it's not for road trip, just driving to and from parks etc...Personally I think it's unfair, considering it's such short distances - like, would you count BiCent. from Strath. far?!
That's a bit stupid, I live in Strathfield and thats not far at all. My b/f has never asked me and he drives me to Parra, to his house in Ryde etc. and I drive him when I can but I share a car with my parents. Once a tight-ass always a tight ass!

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
What's more, he's like "I've worked it out to be $16 and you can pay $10"...far out...it just turns me off...

Here's the round trip:

Strath to Auburn, then Auburn to BiCent, then BiCent back to Auburn, then Auburn back to Strath. How can that cost $16?!

HSC
Sounds like the biggest tightarse ever.

I wouldn't even consider asking my girlfriend for petrol money and I drive her everywhere. We've been going out for almost a year and she has to practically sneak money in to my wallet and even then its only because her mum tells her to.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
What's more, he's like "I've worked it out to be $16 and you can pay $10"...far out...it just turns me off...

Here's the round trip:

Strath to Auburn, then Auburn to BiCent, then BiCent back to Auburn, then Auburn back to Strath. How can that cost $16?!
Is he jewish?

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
my advice would be give him the $10 and then tell him youd prefer to be 'just friends'
failing that, take up frigids advice and pay him what you owee him to the cent. then tell him you only want to be 'just friends'

wallid

HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
So...with the price of petrol these days, is it okay for a guy - whom you've been dating for less than 2 months, to ask you to 'chip' in?...and this leads onto another matter, what if you're not pampered? Even to a normal degree - like the guy paying at the movies, etc - what if he's not interested in that kind of dates to begin with - like, he only wants to be with you?! And doesn't actually suggest anything else to do?!

These are my probs...anyone help me out?!

hahahahahahahaha

geeeez

no offence but a gentlemen shouldnt act like that....... i suppose u could consider it reasonable coz its expensive etc but still

ahhhhh

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
Cykologi_gal said:
So...with the price of petrol these days, is it okay for a guy - whom you've been dating for less than 2 months, to ask you to 'chip' in?...
In short, no, it's is not OK.

As with all things financial, it works like this....

He should expect to pay, and plan to pay. For everything.
He should never, never, never ask her to "chip in".

She can however offer to "chip in", much as she might offer to buy the next round of drinks, or coffee "next time" etc.
However, this is only the rhetoric of good manners.
He should politely decline this offer on each occasion (because he always expects to pay, and plans to pay, as above...).

Never, never, never, ever make a scene about money. Any discussion in public about money that goes for more than two or three sentences is waaaay unseemly and massively embarassing.

Him paying never, never, never places any obligations on her (do we all understand what I mean by that?).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Timbo650 said:

She can however offer to "chip in", much as she might offer to buy the next round of drinks, or coffee "next time" etc.
He should politely decline this offer on each occasion (because he always expects to pay, and plans to pay, as above...).

Never, never, never, ever make a scene about money. Any discussion in public about money that goes for more than two or three sentences is waaaay unseemly and massively embarassing.

Him paying never, never, never places any obligations on her (do we all understand what I mean by that?).
Yeah, because women are financially impotent, unable to fend for themselves and need condescending chavanists (sp?) such as yourself to protect them from the world. In the case of petrol I wouldn't ask, in the case of movies every so often I'd pay for her but most times I'd put in enough money for my own ticket and expect her to do the same. Equal standing in a relationship is important.

arrested development
HSC
Timbo650 said:

what the fuck? a bit stuck in the 50's perhaps? :\

nwatts

HSC
withoutaface said:
Yeah, because women are financially impotent, unable to fend for themselves and need condescending chavanists (sp?) such as yourself to protect them from the world. In the case of petrol I wouldn't ask, in the case of movies every so often I'd pay for her but most times I'd put in enough money for my own ticket and expect her to do the same. Equal standing in a relationship is important.
Yeah I agree with waf here.

I hate making a big deal about money, with anyone. I happily pay for lunches/drinks/coffees with friends when out, as (most) happily pay for mine. If we go out regularly, and spend money, I hardly see the point in fussing over every single purchase. If you put in an extra $20 one time around you'll find it'll come back to you without thinking.

Skeeta

HSC
i'm also with waf, for fucks sake you want equality in a relationship and it goes the same with money matters

some weeks he'll pay for the movie/dinner, other weeks i will. We dont exact keep count but its just the way it is. Same goes when we're strapped for cash, i'll throw a $50 his way and he does the same for me.

i dont get this "id never let him pay" "i would never pay" crap
its really not a big deal

J

jhakka

Cykologi_gal said:
So...with the price of petrol these days, is it okay for a guy - whom you've been dating for less than 2 months, to ask you to 'chip' in?...and this leads onto another matter, what if you're not pampered? Even to a normal degree - like the guy paying at the movies, etc - what if he's not interested in that kind of dates to begin with - like, he only wants to be with you?! And doesn't actually suggest anything else to do?!

These are my probs...anyone help me out?!
Don't be a tightarse. I never let my girlfriend chip in for petrol, but she always offers. I don't expect an offer, but it is nice to know that she cares enough to want to help, and that she doesn't think that the relationship is all about what I'm doing for her.

dora_18

HSC
IN CONCLUSION unless your Paris Hilton with an wad of cash which will continue to flow through your accesible accounts forever, leave him. NOW. Because he'll either send you broke or drive you crazy or leaving you feel pretty worthless.
haha ill say! you know how you feel that weird uncomfortable feeling when you feel embarrased for someone, like if they're preforming somewhere in front of 500 people or even say something lame in public?...well thats what i would feel for my bf if he ever expected me to pay for something.. its the same when you're out with friends, i mean when you're out with close friends you pretty much know your own system...(this you'll pay for dinner or movies and the next week its someone else....)

but i went out with a bunch of people that i wasnt THAT friendly with and we parked somewhere and the chick driving ended up getting a $15 parking bill and she split it down amongst the 3 of us....and i felt really embarrased for her....

thats not to say i expect my friends/bf's to pay for everything, infact i prefer paying for things well with friends anyway.....

but i would never pay for anything on a date...even if i offered the money i wouldn't expect the guy to take it....if that makes sense:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)