Chinese section of the forum (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Is there a way to set the thread so that posts in it aren't counted? (if not the thread the whole Chinese forum?)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Most of the subject forums have a spam thread, cleverly disguised so that an individual scrolling through would think its just a normal thread - that is, until they have a look at the astronomical post counts and view counts.

Fact of the matter is, yes, spam is spam and it shouldn't be there. However, if having a designated spam thread for the primary users of the forum keeps spam out of the other threads then it fufills its purpose and thus, nothing is wrong with it.

As I understand it, that it the attitude of most of the mods.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Although I don't mind the old spam thread being open, this opinion sticks to NS aswell. A lot of threads are closed there without reason, when there is nothing wrong with them existing. If the mods weren't so over zealous in NS, perhaps there would not be as many spam threads in other forums.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Just while we're being fair:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=35420
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=70718
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=63340
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=44322
There are many threads of this type, mostly started and/or frequented by mods/benefactors.

I agree with Susan, the attitude of most of the mods was to my knowledge as she has stated, although when I had a spam thread in the Mathematics forum there were also a few that didn't like the idea. The fact is that if they were moved to NS they would:
a) cease to perform their function of diverting spam from other threads.
b) encourage undesirables into the threads and cause the original people who were posting in it to abandon it, instead holding mini-discussions in a whole bunch of useful threads in the forum from whence the spam thread was banished.

The threads seem to serve their purpose well, and I'd suggest that anyone who has a problem with them can just ignore them.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Thats right. Often, students in these forums use these threads to chit-chat about things - sometimes subject related - and in my opinion, it actually encourages good community spirit.

I'll admit jumb, often, there is some contention about the way NS is modded, particularly since all moderators were given powers in there. Generally though, any thread that doesn't have a particular topic of conversation, is derogatory to other members, or is requested to be closed by members is locked and or deleted.

Each moderator acts to his or own discretion and my suggestion is that if someone has an issue with the way a forum is modded to direct their concern directly to the moderator of that forum or to one of the administrators.

funniboi

HSC
ujuphleg said:
keeps spam out of the other threads then it fufills its purpose and thus, nothing is wrong with it.

that makes sence i suppose, seeing as how withoutaface has pointed out that there are dedicated spam threads in other sections.. then possibly make punishments for spam in threads other then the dedicated threads more severe ?

*shrugs* i don't know.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
ujuphleg said:
Generally though, any thread that doesn't have a particular topic of conversation...
That's what spam is! The other two reasons to some degree make sense, but I don't see how spam can be a bad thing in a board that was designed for it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Non-school is just that, not spam central (although, at times, it might as well be) and therefore, spam is removed.

Looking at NS now, the threads there are mostly with topic eg: "I am a bosaholic" or "baby photos" or whatever. The threads that have been deleted though are things like "everyone read this thread except shortie" or "selling jesus' virginity" which would be considered derogatory. This is the distinction between what can stay open and what can't.

I, personally, don't go into NS that much. If I'm in there and see something related to another member or that is derogatory, I'll close it. If it has no particular topic of conversation, I'll usually leave it to one of the designated or more experienced mods to deal with it.

The general stance is, at least, in the subject forums is, anything that is spam is in the spam thread or it is removed.

Your point about the mods modding NS too strictly and hence the other spam threads is an interesting one. However, I believe that the spam threads in the subject forums are more than just spam - they foster community spirit amongst those doing that subject. If they were moved into NS they would be lost.

Just like NS has its own community threads like "Person Above You" and "Word Association" where most of the die-hard NSers hang out, the Chinese thread is where the community of the Chinese forum hang out.

What do you think?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
ujuphleg said:
Non-school is just that, not spam central (although, at times, it might as well be) and therefore, spam is removed.

Looking at NS now, the threads there are mostly with topic eg: "I am a bosaholic" or "baby photos" or whatever. The threads that have been deleted though are things like "everyone read this thread except shortie" or "selling jesus' virginity" which would be considered derogatory. This is the distinction between what can stay open and what can't.

I, personally, don't go into NS that much. If I'm in there and see something related to another member or that is derogatory, I'll close it. If it has no particular topic of conversation, I'll usually leave it to one of the designated or more experienced mods to deal with it.

The general stance is, at least, in the subject forums is, anything that is spam is in the spam thread or it is removed.

Your point about the mods modding NS too strictly and hence the other spam threads is an interesting one. However, I believe that the spam threads in the subject forums are more than just spam - they foster community spirit amongst those doing that subject. If they were moved into NS they would be lost.

Just like NS has its own community threads like "Person Above You" and "Word Association" where most of the die-hard NSers hang out, the Chinese thread is where the community of the Chinese forum hang out.

What do you think?
I concur with most of that. Except some of the NS things, because I can only go by what I see.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you can't delete the chinese thread!! that threads bring together not only people who do chinese, but also the people who are chinese. we can actually discuss things that are mostly :rolleyes: to do with something chinese. we also realise that we wont get flamed for it, since someone may ahve ahd the same experience that only occurs with the chinese culture.

so it foster community spirit and also the spirit of the chinese people who visit this forum.

note: withoutaface is chinese :nods:

Last edited:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
today i had 2 schoolfriends complain to me that when they entered the chinese forum to look for resources and help last night (because we have a chinese test today), they found nothing but useless spam/discussions on music, pop stars and trivial chit-chat.

at first i sympathised with them and agreed that the chinese forum isn't serving its purpose, and posts in the chinese forum should probably not be counted. however, after a good thinkover i've come to the following conclusions:

1. even though the postcount of a user may give some indication of how active/helpful/experienced that user is, people who really really care about postcounts should find themselves something more important to be occupied with

2. the chinese forum has indeed brought many bosers together, people have made good friends and shared valuable experiences. 'spam' isn't always useless - sometimes it's just good fun. if you find it annoying, don't read it. but i do agree that spam should be kept in specific threads only- when someone makes a thread about schoolwork, please don't invade it.

3. even if the mods make posts in the chinese forum not count or delete the spam threads altogether, i don't see why that will 'motivate' people to post more queries and resources. the chinese forum will probably just become dead.

4. i, and many other boser (whether regular users or not) are very happy to post up notes and offer help to anyone that needs it. maybe we should post a notice in the forum to say 'hey everyone, don't be intimidated by all the spam, if you want some academic help, by all means ask!"

funniboi

HSC
personally.. i say, leave the thread as it is, where it is.

If people needed help with Chinese, there is nothing stopping them from posting a new thread asking for help, but since none do so, it's obvious not many people view it to get notes.

i agree with what ujuphleg said above about community spirit, because bos is not only just for educational purposes.

i'm sure if people disagree, they can pm a mod or admin.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
people who care about post counts are as stupid as mods who delete posts cuase they think the user is trying to a higher post count

funniboi

HSC
i don't think mods delete posts because they think the user is tryin to get a higher post count,

i thikn they delete it because its spam... (meaning it's useless information that doesn't contribute to the original purpose of the thread , and will make no difference if deleted)

but yes, there will always be people who care about post counts

1 example lies here -> http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=74326

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
funniboi said:
personally.. i say, leave the thread as it is, where it is.

If people needed help with Chinese, there is nothing stopping them from posting a new thread asking for help, but since none do so, it's obvious not many people view it to get notes.

i agree with what ujuphleg said above about community spirit, because bos is not only just for educational purposes.

i'm sure if people disagree, they can pm a mod or admin.
and like frig said, we don't flame.
if anyone wants help with Chinese all they have to do is ask. bubz is in there, xiao is in there - there are too many to name. we're nearly all chinese except waf :p

funniboi

HSC
yeap, so i guess it's case closed? unless someone else has another point to bring up?

offtopic:
lol, just because waf isn't chinese doesn't mean he still cant help ^_^, it'd just be extremely hard.

but having said that, YOU didn't follow through what you said before.

this is what i'm talkin about, my chinese is still as bad as it is back then! grr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)