• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry test marking (1 Viewer)

macrazy

HSC
I have recently gotten my chemistry test back, and there are two multiple choice questions that I am confused about:
1) the valency of an atom is: (I answered "the number of electrons in the outer shell [energy level] of that atom) the correct answer was apparently "the charge on a positive or negative ion formed by that atom"
2) which of the following pairs of elements would most likely form an ionic compound: (I answered "bromine and sodium" ) the correct answer was "carbon and iodine"

I'm pretty confident with my understanding of chemistry, but I cannot work out why my answers were wrong... if someone could explain it would be great :)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Technically, your answer for Q1 is correct..
For Q2, im confused... pretty interesting 0.0

macrazy

HSC
Question two was the one that really confused me, I thought that carbon and iodine both being non metals would form covalent bonds not ionic...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
For question two, if the question had asked about likelihood of ionic bonds, your answer should be correct because the nature of bonds between atoms also depends on the difference in electronegativity values, and the significant difference of electronegativity value of 1.9 between sodium and bromine suggests a high likelihood to form an ionic bond-perhaps ask your teacher to check over these questions again and ask them for a detailed explanation of why they have marked you wrong.

QZP

HSC
I have recently gotten my chemistry test back, and there are two multiple choice questions that I am confused about:
1) the valency of an atom is: (I answered "the number of electrons in the outer shell [energy level] of that atom) the correct answer was apparently "the charge on a positive or negative ion formed by that atom"
2) which of the following pairs of elements would most likely form an ionic compound: (I answered "bromine and sodium" ) the correct answer was "carbon and iodine"

I'm pretty confident with my understanding of chemistry, but I cannot work out why my answers were wrong... if someone could explain it would be great :)
Valency IS NOT the # of outer-shell electrons. Where'd you learn that? Oxygen has a valency of 6 then?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Valency IS NOT the # of outer-shell electrons. Where'd you learn that? Oxygen has a valency of 6 then?
^

It's the amount of electrons required to fill up the outtermost shell

So it's pretty much the charge of the ion of that element

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Q1 got me again! Dam.. haha. "Valency IS NOT the # of outer-shell electrons. Where'd you learn that? Oxygen has a valency of 6 then?" I always get tricked by that question :^(
IDK ABOUT Q2...take strawberrye's advice and ask ur teachee. Btw, u could've asked that period when u received ur exam paper?

turntaker

HSC
Yeah question 1 is not right. Their answer is right. For example if Carbon has 4 electrons doesn't mean that its valency is 4(oh wait it does.. bad example hehe). hmm for example Chlorine. It has 7 electrons in the outermost shell but the valency is not 7. Its 1- because it wants to gain 1 electron to fill the shell.

Question 2 is a bit tricky because Carbon is actually a metalloid and can sometimes bond ionically. Its very rare though. I would have chosen your answer. But as strawberrye said its to do with electronegativity.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For question two, if the question had asked about likelihood of ionic bonds, your answer should be correct because the nature of bonds between atoms also depends on the difference in electronegativity values, and the significant difference of electronegativity value of 1.9 between sodium and bromine suggests a high likelihood to form an ionic bond-perhaps ask your teacher to check over these questions again and ask them for a detailed explanation of why they have marked you wrong.
NaBr is a salt and hence, it must be ionic and carbon-iodine bonds are definitely covalent such as in iodomethane.

I would be careful with using electronegativity to determine if a bond is ionic or covalent because you can have large differences in electronegativity and still have a covalent bond (H-F, Si-F etc). The difference in electonegativity of 1.7 is only a "rule of thumb" - it isn't always right.

I suggest following a rule like this: molecular compounds always have covalent bonds and salts (metal+non-metal) always have ionic bonds.

Last edited:

macrazy

HSC
Thank you all for your help with question one, I must have misunderstood that bit when we were learning about it, but now that you've pointed it out it makes a lot more sense :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)