Chemistry - general thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
onomatopoeia said:
I had no idea in that question either, so I put ammonium chloride too - I am not the only one!!!

My thoughts on the exam: I thought is was a little on the easier side of the scales, except for that salt question. I was amazed that there were no questions about batteries and different cells! I found the Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservation option a breeze. I even finished the whole thing 1/2 an hour early, but I should have taken my time, my hand was so sore with RSI and I couldn't bend my fingers!
RSI?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Overall I think it was alright, would have preffered a 7 marker on ethanol instead of ethylene. :p

angmor

HSC
how do u do that pH question? part b? what was your answer?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It was alright, but at the same time it was an annoying exam.
The multiple choice questions were quite tricky (e.g. For the Glucose question, did you remember it was a condensation polymer so you had to subtract masses of 4 water molecules? I would imagine heaps of people fell for the trick).
I reckon this year there were hardly any questions that came straight from the syllabus. Most of the questions targeted the more uncommonly examined dot points, that you rarely find in trial exams or past HSC exams (e.g. ozone concentration, acidic salts, ethylene importance etc). I had to improvise a little bit on some of the questions.
For me, the Option section was probably the easiest section (I did shipwrecks). Once again I tried hard to control myself from writing too much on the seven marker....:(.
Anyway, I can celebrate now, no more HSC! (except when results arrive but that return to hell will come a month later....:p)

alsha89

HSC
that acidic salts question was so silly. i don't remember the prac either. think i said copper sulphate. lol. only coz i know sulfuric acid is acidic. thought if i attached something to it then i'd be right.

alsha89

HSC
Overall i thought the exam was pretty good. DOn't get me wrong, a few parts were rather challenging and i waffled on a bit in the extended responses but other than that i'd say it was fine. i had 45mins left at the end, lol. i thought the exam finished at 12 instead of 12.30 so i rushed through it. it gave me plenty of time to check and fix a few things which was good though.
OMG, i am officially finished everything...it feeeeels soooooo good. I'm off to party now! yayaya.

bumble bee

HSC
I think it was an alright exam. Not easy, but alright.

With the salt question, I couldnt remember the prac (I think I had a vague recollection, but no details) but I did aluminium nitrate. Now I can't even remember if it's a salt or not :/

But I did that because when you react it with water, the aluminium forms a weak base, and the nitrate forms a strong acid, so that makes it strong. But we had a sub teacher for that section of the course, so I'm not really sure.

Sir Loin

HSC
When I think about it again, it's been the same style of questioning and difficulty as the other science exams (maybe not physics?). Ambiguous questions, none of the usual "stock" style questions they ask in past papers - batteries, ethanol? biopolymer :mad1:. Really threw me off - At least I crammed for a few days.:)

angmor

HSC
how did u work out the ca2+ for the EDTA questions?

[Damo]

HSC
first find moles of EDTA used, then convert to grams, convert to mg, then work it out as mg/L. i got something like 835mg/L if i remember correctly...

followme

HSC
Y are people finding it easy? i found it hard, harder than my trial. So wanna tear the paper up in the exam!

[Damo]

HSC
angmor said:
how do u do that pH question? part b? what was your answer?
find no moles of HCl reacted with NaOH, then work out the excess. then use the PH formula. u get smthing like 0.854... but you have to round it up to 0.9 (1dp)

earthnfire

HSC
i loveeedd the multiple choices...pretty sure i'll get 14 outa 15...the rest of the exam was good....i'm hoping for a raw mark of 85+....chem's one of my best subjects

UAI aim: 92
HSC subjects:English advanced,chemistry,maths 2 unit,biology,Visual arts,engineering studies

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
[Damo] said:
find no moles of HCl reacted with NaOH, then work out the excess. then use the PH formula. u get smthing like 0.854... but you have to round it up to 0.9 (1dp)
Question 17 part b isn't it? I got pH=2 somehow.

Anyway, the test is good I think. People think it was easy but when you look at the details, it wasn't really that easy.

HSC
XcarvengerX said:
Question 17 part b isn't it? I got pH=2 somehow.

Anyway, the test is good I think. People think it was easy but when you look at the details, it wasn't really that easy.
1 got 2 as well.

P

pLuvia

[Damo said:
]first find moles of EDTA used, then convert to grams, convert to mg, then work it out as mg/L. i got something like 835mg/L if i remember correctly...
Same

[Damo said:
]find no moles of HCl reacted with NaOH, then work out the excess. then use the PH formula. u get smthing like 0.854... but you have to round it up to 0.9 (1dp)
Same again

haque

HSC
angmor said:
i did ammonium chloride for that...i dont know if its an 'experimental salt' if you know what i mean, like if its acutally obtainable in a school laboratory,,,,so might get that wrong
Ammonium chloride is correct-however in the ionisation equation u have to show its an equilibrium

earthnfire

HSC
[Damo] said:
Pretty ave test.
Stoked about the 7 marker in the option of industrial chem- natural source one. That will really sort out the top students from the average ones. The questions weren't random, they were just a different style from last few years, i.e, more prac based and required more thinking. Its simple; if you knew ur stuff, u should be fine...

P.S; easy on the the swearing!
I agree with ur theory on the exam...i loved the 7 mark question.Found it really easy to write about as i had studied it this morning....lol...my friends and i all predicted a high mark question on that will be asked coz we compared to all the other industrial chemistry papers and realised it hadnt been asked before...LOL

haque

HSC
i hadn't studied the 7 mark industrial one in detail howeevr i seem to have addressed most of the requirements according to successone-other than that q i thought the rest was quite simple

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)