Chemistry Galvanic Cells Question (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Not even a) makes sense to me.

No way all four of the others are, but B IS NOT A REFERENCE CELL. Of course a cell with the same two electrodes will produce 0 voltage.

It's like saying:
Cu(s) -> Cu(2+) + 2e- Eo=-0.34V
Cu(2+) + 2e- -> Cu(s) Eo=+0.34V
Hence Cu(s) + Cu(2+) -> Cu(2+) + Cu(s) EMF = 0V no shit.

This question is nonsensical. It gives no information on anything.

Without knowing how much voltage is produced with B on itself, how can the other 4 simply get derived??

This question simply cannot be done unless by DEFINITION they GAVE that:
B(2+) + 2e- ⇌ B(s) Eo = 0V

Last edited:

Ambility

HSC
Not even a) makes sense to me.

No way all four of the others are, but B IS NOT A REFERENCE CELL. Of course a cell with the same two electrodes will produce 0 voltage.

It's like saying:
Cu(s) -> Cu(2+) + 2e- Eo=-0.34V
Cu(2+) + 2e- -> Cu(s) Eo=+0.34V
Hence Cu(s) + Cu(2+) -> Cu(2+) + Cu(s) EMF = 0V no shit.

This question is nonsensical. It gives no information on anything.

Without knowing how much voltage is produced with B on itself, how can the other 4 simply get derived??

This question simply cannot be done unless by DEFINITION they GAVE that:
B(2+) + 2e- ⇌ B(s) Eo = 0V
That's exactly what I thought. To me, there is not enough information to complete the question. I was hoping someone else on this site would approach it differently, and point out something I'm missing.

For a), I drew a diagram of a cell which would run of the first reaction it gave us. Is that wrong? What exactly do they mean by a "reference cell"?

leehuan

HSC
That's exactly what I thought. To me, there is not enough information to complete the question. I was hoping someone else on this site would approach it differently, and point out something I'm missing.

For a), I drew a diagram of a cell which would run of the first reaction it gave us. Is that wrong? What exactly do they mean by a "reference cell"?
There's nothing wrong with drawing the cell, however there is no such thing as a reference cell here as B can't even be used as a reference cell.

But exactly, without explicitly stating that the half reaction for B produces voltage of 0 (IT IS NOT ASSUMED) it cannot simply be completed.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
pretty stupid tbh

looks something you'd solve with like simultaneous equations lol

leehuan

HSC
pretty stupid tbh

looks something you'd solve with like simultaneous equations lol
Yeah or working backwards if they gave what B was. But it's not that bad in terms of the maths because you'll notice that all of the other four have B in them somewhere.

Ignore the question Ambility. It is extremely stupid

Ambility

HSC
Yeah or working backwards if they gave what B was. But it's not that bad in terms of the maths because you'll notice that all of the other four have B in them somewhere.

Ignore the question Ambility. It is extremely stupid
No worries, thanks for your help.
Although, I might ask again, what exactly is a reference cell? I've never come across the term before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)