Charles Sturt Bathurst - Students of 2010 (1 Viewer)

Missy.15

HSC
Can't wait.

I can't wait to 'move into' new res, i can't wait to meet new people, I can't wait to go to the classes :p, i can't wait to work XD.

yeah, minus the classes and work lol- im keen to meet new people lol
What course are you doing?

tlelover91

HSC
Hey everyone,
YAY we made it lol

I'm doing Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) by Distance Ed and am now regretting it as I don't get to meet anyone :mad: or go to the O-week activities.

The subjects i'm doing are JST104, PSY101 and SOC101... anyone doing any of these subjects?
If so inbox me lol

reid0butler

HSC
hey guys!
congrats on getting in
what atar do you need to do Bachelor of Communication (Journalism) at csu?

NoName91

HSC
hey guys!
congrats on getting in
what atar do you need to do Bachelor of Communication (Journalism) at csu?
There is no ATAR cut-off.. however something 75+ is recommended along with a decent essay to be submitted and solid english results. I got into sports journalism with a 90ish atar and a band 5 in english - but the requirement is below that

reid0butler

HSC
ahh ok, so a decent atar and a good application essay?
did you need to get interviewed and stuff?

LAMBERS16

HSC
ahh ok, so a decent atar and a good application essay?
did you need to get interviewed and stuff?
I am a second year Journo student :)
Just letting you know there's more than just having a decent atar and a good application essay. There's also work experience - that sets you apart from the rest of the cohort who apply because it shows you have initiative and interest in journalism! And I know it must have an influence, because I received early entry into Journalism in 09. So get some work experience to write down on your application!! But then again, if you are serious about journo you should already have some to put down so you shouldn't be worrying about it!

Ps. No interview....unless you're from TAFE or something, I heard.

reid0butler

HSC
Just letting you know there's more than just having a decent atar and a good application essay. There's also work experience - that sets you apart from the rest of the cohort who apply because it shows you have initiative and interest in journalism! And I know it must have an influence, because I received early entry into Journalism in 09. So get some work experience to write down on your application!! But then again, if you are serious about journo you should already have some to put down so you shouldn't be worrying about it!

hey! thanks :) my friend said their cousin did journalism and he had to have a dramatic audition for it? it didnt sound right, because i don't see why you'd need a full on audition. youre going for journalism, not for acting.

work experience!! I'm so keen to do it :(:( i've asked around, and a lot of the tv stations and newspapers in my local city (newcastle) said they only reserve work experience for uni students.. Any tips?
i am INCREDIBLY eager to do broadcast journalism, as I love television, and writing, and current affairs. And I know Charles Sturt is the best uni in the country for what i want to do.

Last edited:

NoName91

HSC

I got in with ZERO experience :S

LAMBERS16

HSC
I got in with ZERO experience :S
I am just saying that its becoming more and more competitive each year, which means a lot more people are continuing to apply to csu for journalism. Work experience is what sets people apart from other people.... shows that you have made the effort to get a kick start in learning about the journalism business. I am by no means saying they solely look for people who have work experience, but it does have a contributing influence. The people in my 2nd year journo cohort that I know got early entry all did work experience at notable organisations or just regular publications :) but anyways, the essay and questionnaire still count...especially the essay... you must have written a stand-out essay to get in..as with anyone who gets accepted for journo.

LAMBERS16

HSC
hey! thanks :) my friend said their cousin did journalism and he had to have a dramatic audition for it? it didnt sound right, because i don't see why you'd need a full on audition. youre going for journalism, not for acting.

work experience!! I'm so keen to do it :(:( i've asked around, and a lot of the tv stations and newspapers in my local city (newcastle) said they only reserve work experience for uni students.. Any tips?
i am INCREDIBLY eager to do broadcast journalism, as I love television, and writing, and current affairs. And I know Charles Sturt is the best uni in the country for what i want to do.
hey :) as far as I know, they don't have auditions... i didn't have an audition or interview for my application.

regarding work experience, i know it can be incredibly daunting to enter real-life journo places... i still feel anxious myself! haha. but i would suggest you at least go to one or two places for work experience, more so for the fact that everything won't be so scary and new when you come to csu! work experience can just get you started on whats involved in the business and all of that :) maybe try a radio station? i am not sure if newcastle has a radio station so i am sorry if there isn't one.

hope this helps.

reid0butler

HSC
hey :) as far as I know, they don't have auditions... i didn't have an audition or interview for my application.

regarding work experience, i know it can be incredibly daunting to enter real-life journo places... i still feel anxious myself! haha. but i would suggest you at least go to one or two places for work experience, more so for the fact that everything won't be so scary and new when you come to csu! work experience can just get you started on whats involved in the business and all of that :) maybe try a radio station? i am not sure if newcastle has a radio station so i am sorry if there isn't one.

hope this helps.
yah, i will definitely try as many different types of broadcasting stations as I can. There's no harm in trying. I was thinking of kind of writing like a application package of myself, like why i want the experience and stuff. I think work experience in a real media workplace would be SO awesome. I love all that stuff so much.

Whats CSU like? I was so excited when i stumbled upon it, it looks like the perfect place for what I want to do. How are the other kids and how are the lectures and stuff? I know there's is a radio station there, is there also a tv studio?
Everything looks so cool!
:)

jippy787

HSC
N/A
I'm a first year Journalism student at CSU Bathurst and, personally, I don't think it's hard to get into . . .

I had no work experience in the field and did no essays. Mind you, I also don't have a UAI/ATAR - but I was still required to do the essay. I didn't. I sat a STAT test (to make up for not having a UAI/ATAR) and, on the day before your preferences could be finalised (6 January?), I added CSU onto my preference list. I assumed I had no shot anyway because I didn't do what was asked (the essays), but I wanted to fill up my preference list for the heck of it. I still got in, and my STAT score wasn't that great, either . . .

Glancing over the ATAR cut-offs for this year (for the other courses at CSU Bathurst), I'm going to say that an ATAR of about 70 will get you into Journalism (like the other courses). I don't even think you need work experience . . . but I'd advise that you do an essay "just in case".

I've been at CSU Bathurst for two and a half weeks now, and things are all right. There are some very good lecturers/tutors, and some not-so-good . . . or maybe it's a particular subject.

As for people . . . I know on these forums people keep saying "and everyone's nice!", but to me, I think it's like anywhere else - there are nice people, and there are not-so-nice people. It's just like any other place . . . but just in the country.

I think CSU gives out a lot of early entry into Journalism to try and deter people from going to other universities (like UTS, for example). Because, hey, if CSU gets in first and offers a student a spot, they might take it and run, and not choose to go to UTS or where ever it was they wanted to go to, in the Main round. It's a strategy, and a pretty good one. =P

Having said that, I do recommend CSU Bathurst for Journalism. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)