Chance of 70%+ avg in first year (1 Viewer)

Hiphoppa

HSC
Hi all. I posted a thread here with some questions a month or two back, just a bit of an update. The average for my degree which I graduated from last year was 73.2. My first preference was for grad-entry Law at Monash Uni which I missed out on in first round offers. After speaking with the admissions manager, I was told it would be unlikely for me to receive an offer in the remaining rounds as the cut-off this year was 80%. However she said my grades were enough to get me into a full-fee paying place if there were places left after enrolment. As this will be quite a costly route (21k per year), I am hoping to get into a HECS place in second year. The average needed for this is 70%. I was just wondering how difficult this is to get in first year? My last degree was in Communications (journalism and PR major) if this helps. Thanks

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I had a credit average, most were mid credits a few lows and a few highs, my worst marks were in first year. Really it depends on the person and the effort they put in. Most people find it hard, that said you have been to uni before so it might be easier for you.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I worked out that, in order to graduate with first class honours this year (> 75), I will need to score a minimum of 87 in my 4 remaining electives. Second class here I come :(

I've averaged approx 70% in the last two years, but my first year was abyssmal. It's a different style of learning, but as you've done previous tertiary study, you might not have the same teething problems as a lot of your class will. It really depends on what subjects you'll be doing, and how much work you'd actually put in (as opposed to 'are prepared to put in' - as a general rule, take this number of hours and decrease it by 96%).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the OP is asking the academic equivalent of 'how long is a piece of string?'. it is hard to say what 'chance' (as in probability) you will average 70% in the first year of studying law. we know nothing about you.

some relevant factors, of course, are:-

(i) your academic performance (duh), which is affected by, inter alia:
(a) the time and effort you invest in studying;
(b) the time and effort you spend doing other things;
(c) how much 'talent' you have;
(d) how determined you are;
(e) luck;
(f) how fast you can write in an exam.

(ii) your cohort's academic performance

and many, many other things.

T

thegovernator

definitely possible. I'm not sure on what you'er like individually (how 'naturally intelligent' you are) but if I were you I would be inclined to work my ass off in the first semester as a precaution. if you do way better than expected you can lay off the books in second semester. that would be how i'd attack it. worked well for me this year (d avg).

2ndly, devote A LOT of time to assignments, because they will set you up for exams and take the pressure off. sink a lot of time, effort and thought into them. get great marks in those and then you won't have to do as well in exams.

edit: and what Frigid said.

Last edited by a moderator:

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
If you put the effort in, it should be pretty easy. The first year subjects, like Intro to Legal Reasoning and Research & Writing, are not that difficult.
As Frigid rudely pointed out, there are some other factors that might stop you from doing this, like whether you're working too many hours during semester. My understanding of the Monash system is that if you get 70.00 you will automatically get a CSP place, or that's the way the website made it sound, so that should be little to no problem. You will have to do 4 law subjects per semester in order to get the minimum credit points to be eligible.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
By the way, what number did you call? I'm curious to know what the cut-off score was for undergraduate law, and I don't think they'd tell me by email.

Hiphoppa

HSC
fnkychk said:
By the way, what number did you call? I'm curious to know what the cut-off score was for undergraduate law, and I don't think they'd tell me by email.
I called the Admissions Manager directly on 9905 1464. According to another staff member I spoke to, the cut-off for a CSP place was 80%.

Thanks for all your posts. I guess I'll just have to see. The only thing I'm worried about is this adding extra stress to the situation just because it's so important. Also, I'm not sure how I'll go in exams which are weighted so heavily just because I think I've completed a total of one or two in my previous degree. It was highly assignment based.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
That is a real concern. Law exams are really make or break.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fnkychk said:
As Frigid rudely pointed out, there are some other factors that might stop you from doing this, like whether you're working too many hours during semester.
i don't think i was being 'rude'. if anything, i was pointing out the obvious.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fnkychk said:
that the person asking the question must be borderline retarded
my friend, i never meant to imply that the OP is borderline retarded. that is simply your construction of my words. moreover, i meant to be helpful in listing out some of the factors which i think would be relevant to answering her question.

simple misunderstanding - big hugs all round. :shy:

Rorix

HSC
To be honest if you have to ask the chances are probably pretty low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)