Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (4 Viewers)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
With that, you'll need a complete overhaul of society and changes in human nature. It may sound terrific on paper (which I agree with), but it is quite improbable that every person will abstain before marriage.

Which leads into my two cents on the topic. Abstinence is only one brick in building a future without AIDS. Education is the concrete foundation required. That, and an ub3r 1337 vaccine wouldn't hurt either!

The catholic church is doing their best to help solve the problem. However, HIV is extremely deadly and I'd say the only way of curing it is a miracle :p
Certainly all men fall short of God's glory and we are forgiven and continue to be forgiven thru the body and blood of Christ's sacrifice +the sacrament of confession and the consequent sincere resolution to battle your demons/prompts of sin.

But yes this issue is complex. The whole African culture of corruption, violent tribalism, basic disrespect of women, weakness of civil/judicial authority is all to blame. It's a mammoth problem with no silver bullet!

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
Certainly all men fall short of God's glory and we are forgiven and continue to be forgiven thru the body and blood of Christ's sacrifice +the sacrament of confession and the consequent sincere resolution to battle your demons/prompts of sin.

But yes this issue is complex. The whole African culture of corruption, violent tribalism, basic disrespect of women, weakness of civil/judicial authority is all to blame. It's a mammoth problem with no silver bullet!
Nobody is perfect, which makes life a lot more interesting! The desire for a human to have sex has kept the species alive and develop to where it is today. I agree, a moral code regarding sex is imperative. However, nobody is constantly looking at the big picture with every one of their actions. Undoubtedly, this will lead to sex before marriage. Nowadays, it's just a part of life. Society has changed (I wouldn't say evolved, cos 'evolved' implies improvement :p), and religion isn't as big as it used to be. Who knows what the future holds, maybe everyone will come to a sudden realisation that Jesus really was a terrific guy.

A lot of the problems in Africa are Western-induced (somewhat), believe it or not. Going back to the days of colonialism, the conquering powers did have a profound impact on the continent as a whole, introducing foreign customs and stripping resources just to name a couple. After the empires receded, Western ideals and stuff (e.g. borders) were left behind, which were incongruous with the traditional African customs (say, a border probably split a tribe's land in two). So, the native inhabitants had their land and cultures shaken up quite severely, and this would undoubtedly lead to unrest. Plus, other customs may seem wrong to one and right to another, it's all relative.

However, that does not deny that the problems exist (and do or did exist in the West also). As you said, there is no silver bullet. We just need to find a silver band-aid, some silver Dettol and let the wound that is AIDS heal up :p

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Giving people food without contraception just ends in there being more people to have to give food to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)