Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Wrong. Where's your reference? Philippines is classified as a South-East Asian country, and just so happens to be a very conservative Roman Catholic country. Yet "Public health officials say they are stumped by a paradox in the Philippines, where a very low rate of condom use and a very low rate of H.I.V. infection seem to be going hand in hand." (Low Rate Of AIDS Virus In Philippines Is a Puzzle - The New York Times)

So I gotta agree with kalamari's theory and add that AIDS would not be so out of hand, if people were actually following the Catholic Church's teachings and abstaining in the first place..
This is particularly so because the Philippines is far from being a country with closed borders. About one-tenth of the population works overseas, all of them potential carriers of disease whenever they visit home.

Experts say a lucky combination of factors may for the moment have slowed the arrival of an epidemic, including a low ratio of customers to sex workers, low rates of certain other sexually transmitted diseases and limited intravenous drug use.
Compare that to the slavery of women in Africa where AIDS originated from and it becomes quite clear why the Philippines has such a low rate of STI sufferers.

Read your own referenceyou tart.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
very valid.
Wrong. Where's your reference? Philippines is classified as a South-East Asian country, and just so happens to be a very conservative Roman Catholic country. Yet "Public health officials say they are stumped by a paradox in the Philippines, where a very low rate of condom use and a very low rate of H.I.V. infection seem to be going hand in hand." (Low Rate Of AIDS Virus In Philippines Is a Puzzle - The New York Times)

So I gotta agree with kalamari's theory and add that AIDS would not be so out of hand, if people were actually following the Catholic Church's teachings and abstaining in the first place..
Well thank you for your input.

Your saying that if people didn't have sex, they wouldn't get HIV? Wow, it's so simple. We should spread the word to the masses, hand in hand. Jesus titty fucking christ, will you read the damn topic?

Topic (or at least what the topic has become): Has the Church had any negative impact on the HIV/AIDS epidemic?

Even if the Church's teachings help reduce the magnitude of the AIDS epidemic, they still have a negative impact as well. I don't know if their positive influence outweighs the negative, but what we are discussing here is whether there is a negative. What you have said proves NOTHING.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
Have sex, watch cricket, fuck the church, live life.

Lentern

HSC
Maybe, would only be because of its smaller influence.

Small Church = less Church > Big Church = more Church
There was no AIDS epidemic under the catholic church's watch! It was only once you people demanded that you have your democratic independance from Rome that the genie really left the bottle and don't you forget it!

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
There was no AIDS epidemic under the catholic church's watch! It was only once you people demanded that you have your democratic independance from Rome that the genie really left the bottle and don't you forget it!
Yes, damn us with our democratic independance and civil liberties. Damn us to HELL!

jmakowiak

HSC
Lentern said:
Ay, but a lot of us enjoy sex without lifetime committment to a person.

Last edited:
HSC
I think *several* parties should take more responsibility for this issue, including the Church, Western nations, the govts of the nations most affected, etc. It would be unfair and unreasonable to put all the blame on a single group, but also irresponsible to ignore their role.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
why western nations lol they are actually doing something about the issue

maybe africa as a whole should be condemned for being so backwards

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ah I love the Church on this issue

If they were to say anything different, we're talking srs schism territory. The Pope would excommunicate himself if he approved contraceptives

superchair

HSC
The chatholic church is .. dont know what the word is..

But im a firm follower of Christ.. not the pope

no where in the bible does it say to not use condoms.. that is made by man who thinks he is jesus representation which agian has no biblical evidence

The point is the pope needs to understand that there is nothing wrong with condoms... it is a man made law not a God made one

Sprangler

HSC
The chatholic church is .. dont know what the word is..

But im a firm follower of Christ.. not the pope

no where in the bible does it say to not use condoms.. that is made by man who thinks he is jesus representation which agian has no biblical evidence

The point is the pope needs to understand that there is nothing wrong with condoms... it is a man made law not a God made one

It doesn't say that in the bible because they didn't have condoms back then. Look at Genesis 38:9-10, wasting seed whether it's in a tissue or a condom is evil.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I haven't read through the whole thing yet, I've finished Genesis and am starting Exodus, but:

Genesis chapter 38 -

wasting seed = evil.
I think 'neglecting' his duty to his sister in law & brother (providing heirs for them) and (in doing so) rebelling against the authority of Judah was what was deemed evil, tbh.

Sprangler

HSC
Nope. It's right there in black and white, there's no interpretation, it's evil bro.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Nope. It's right there in black and white, there's no interpretation, it's evil bro.
No, THIS GUY was purposely refusing to do what he was required to do in THIS scenario.
I personally feel confused by people relating this account to the use of condoms. It seems he avoided inseminating the woman by utilising the 'withdrawal' method, which I've heard actually advocated by Catholics.
But I think relating this story to contraception is completely missing the point.
Genesis 38 :8
Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)