Car Racing: Sim vs. Arcade (1 Viewer)

Racing Sims- what's better?

• Simulation is great, arcade is just unrealistic.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Arcade is the best, simulations are boring and remind us of reality.

• Both are equally good because I'm a fencesitter.

• Driving games suck and I'm the best.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hopeles5ly said:
yer round up the others as well haha. whoever loses pays for lunch XD.
Hate to tell you but it's not really that great an arcade game.. the tracks are very short in comparison to games like Initial D or Maximum Tune, the items aren't that fun, and well... it's Mario kart?

The only nifty thing is it has a camera which takes a photo of you.... but I still don't see the point of it. Correction, I don't see any USEFUL point of it.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
seremify007 said:
Do you (and everyone else here) like doing endurance races and tuning? I'm finding that I enjoy tuning alot... but I wish the interface was slightly easier to see the results of your tuning- even Forza's "tuning on the fly" whilst driving is annoying because it still takes a while to see the results, or the benchmarking (0-100 times).
Well, I love doing endurance races, anything under 12 laps and I hate it, I've done half the endurance races on GT4 by myself, no B - specing. Nothing beats trying to go flat out on woren tyres which are about to fall off the car and with a low fuel load.
Some games you can't tune the cars alot, especially during the race, just shove a bit of fuel in it and thats all you can do. I've been playing F1 recently, and I tune the cars before every grand prix, theres no point in having a Monaco style (tight, twisty and slow) for Monza (fast and high speed), but then, I know what each of the tracks require in terms of tuning in F1 anyway.

But I agree with Argo, if I know something works, then theres no point in changing it.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Hate to tell you but it's not really that great an arcade game.. the tracks are very short in comparison to games like Initial D or Maximum Tune, the items aren't that fun, and well... it's Mario kart?

The only nifty thing is it has a camera which takes a photo of you.... but I still don't see the point of it. Correction, I don't see any USEFUL point of it.
in general i don't feel mario kart is that fun at all but i wanna give it a go still hehe =]`. man ive spent WAY too much on initial d since 2003 (dont ask how much ! ><) i`ve been playing T5 : DR a lot now lol. ill tell you something, in george st galaxy world the machines of T5 upstairs give you an extra credit of play and the staff don't know about it hahah. :ninja:

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Why would you want a photo of your self? No point :confused:

Yeh it's worth having a go of a game that I like that has been transformed

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh I also do the whole don't change gear ratios and settings once set... The question of whether it's fun to play realistic games just made me think of one more thing- how about the fact that the game is realistic and lets you do things which you wouldn't otherwise be game to do in real life... and man that is convoluted but I cbb to explain my thought any better.

Anyhow, Mario Kart... I can't believe I bought the card. I'm a sucker for gimmicks like that- you can win items to use in multiplayer battles I think; and before the race you can select what items are available... but still... the game feels too simple/quick to be worth $2.

As for T5- I don't play.. i tend to be really really crap at fighting games >< my fingers get tired easily from button mashing.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
seremify007 said:
Yeh I also do the whole don't change gear ratios and settings once set... The question of whether it's fun to play realistic games just made me think of one more thing- how about the fact that the game is realistic and lets you do things which you wouldn't otherwise be game to do in real life... and man that is convoluted but I cbb to explain my thought any better.
Usually I leave gear ratios the way that they are, unless I'm doing the old Hockenheim track or Monza. Then I make the gear ratios (forgotten which way now :p) to get to a higher speed.

The main thing you change is downforce settings and tyres (wets, inters, mediums, hards or softs), possibily suspension settings too, if your that nick-picky, but usually cars are well balanced in games anyway, and don't need a lot of improvement.

I found that in real life, you can do more things to the car, than in realistic games. You can't change brake bias on the run, and you can't change the aerodynamics of the front wing during a pit stop during the game. In fact, in F1 2005, I can't even change tyres during a whole race, which means after 300 and something kms, I literally have no treads or rubber left on my tyres :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yeah, thats the way. Silly me forgot :eek:

I only ever changed my gears when I play V8 racecar driver (or whatever the hell its called, the first one), and only then, I changed them when I raced a stupid merc in the DTM.

I just leave my race wins towards strategy though. Nothing beats a strong fuel / pit stop strategy, and blistering lap times before pitting (almost schumacher-like).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dude, you suck

I would give my soul up for a mario kart arcade game before i'd even spit shine for Initial D et al.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
AsyLum said:
Dude, you suck

I would give my soul up for a mario kart arcade game before i'd even spit shine for Initial D et al.
Wait until you play it =P It gets boring fast... especially at $2 a pop.

Argonaut said:
Lengthening your gears makes you go faster, Cat. Shortening them means you can take on the twisty bits better because you have more acceleration. I have a tendency to stack mine in such a way that I can accelerate faster out of the corners, but still keep my legs for the straight - the gears progressively get longer. Mind you, you can't use the 'Auto-Tune' setting for it; you have to do it the hard way. Still haven't perfected it yet, I have a tendency to redline far too early.
If you're free, could you please explain something to me? In Forza I have the gearbox whereby I can change every gear ratio, I set my FD to allow for better top speed, but when driving, even on the speedway track I can never get anywhere near it... I was also wondering if you can explain to me that if I want to get good accel, but good top speed, do I set the final gear ratios further apart then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)