• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Car Magazines (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Who reads 'em?

I used to buy alot of Autosalon and Hot4s... but lately I'm starting to appreciate the more 'normal' magazines like Wheels. Whilst offering a little bit on modified/aftermarket gear, they have more focus on every car (in stock form) as well as a bit on supercars... with good detailed car reviews/comparisons and less advertisements. Don't get me wrong, Autosalon's adverts are interesting... but it seems a bit of a jip when more than half the magazine feels like an advertisement in some way.

Zozo6969

HSC
yeh i stay clear of all that aftermarket shit magazines out there like hot4s and autosalon and all them ones. i just dont think they look good and it is not wise to put so much money into cars that are very personal to people and that most others would have no interest in buying, as well as voiding warrantys and having high insurance costs = poor resale value. nothing beats stock v8s and nothing looks better than a stock car, maybe with a few dealer/factory fitted options. thats y its motor and wheels 4 me, articles r actually worthwhile and interesting and i bet that half the people that read those aftermarket magazines wouldnt no the first thing about how a car operates.

im sorry if i offend anyone but this is just wat i prefer. i respect all those who do modify cars as they often do a great job, but its just not my sorta thing.

lengy

HSC
This has been done before ages ago but anyways.

I first started reading Sp33d but that no longer exists. I've continued with Wheels and MOTOR since then and am eagerly awaiting the next issue of Wheels which will have Wheels Car Of The Year award winners which will be announced on Tuesday and the magazine will be out the next day.

CieL

HSC
Only ever read Wheels..... and one autosalon mag which was a freebie from Autosalon itself.. I couldnt hack "reading" it - more like just looking at pictures - because I just cringed at every page..

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I too remember Speed... Right now sticking to wheels. But I'm getting sick of the new Commodore. Which is making me rethink my subscription.

gna

HSC
SP33D was the best of them all, then MOTOR and WHEELS.

carreau

HSC
Depends what you're interested in..

Domestic aussie cars..
Euro..
JDM...

For me I prefer HPI - They write some decent articles about JDM cars, and some decent guides on how to - e.g. Which turbo.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
petar13 said:
I too remember Speed... Right now sticking to wheels. But I'm getting sick of the new Commodore. Which is making me rethink my subscription.
LOL *opens cover of VE COTY issue*..

.. what a surprise. They have an advertisement for the VE Commodore. Furthermore, it's the advertisement with that Wheels review quote.

Now that isn't suss.

But then funnily enough, go back one issue to the Feb07 Walkinshaw issue and you get the Ford Fairmont Ghia on the inside cover.

EDIT: My mistake- that was Motor. I often get the two mixed up since they are pretty similar magazines IMO.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

w2dot

HSC
I read Wheels, it covers all types of cars and has something for everyone.
When I can't find it, I'll pick up a copy of Motor, but that is too sporty for me, not that I don't like sports cars.

lengy

HSC
I get MOTORs but sometimes I don't care for the articles about cars like Veyron, CCX and kit cars etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've come to realise.. that I also quite like MOTOR.. I read it quite a bit when Wheels isn't around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)