Can you top extension 1 maths if your not in extension 2? (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
What I mean is, if I do 3 unit maths can I still beat the 4 unit people in the exams etc and top it at my school?

Alkanes

HSC
Of course! Providing that you try hard and keep up with the level of the 4u guys.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Of course you can.

But if you're beating them why not do 4U as well? Just wondering.

hayhay2012

HSC
Of course you can.

I bombed out on the most recent exam...so I am not allowed in :( But I have beat these 4unit people many times before. They set a cut off of 70% for 3u and 90% for 2u to get into 4unit maths...so I didnt make it

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I bombed out on the most recent exam...so I am not allowed in :( But I have beat these 4unit people many times before. They set a cut off of 70% for 3u and 90% for 2u to get into 4unit maths...so I didnt make it
Ahk dw then, you can still own them in HSC.

Determine got 99.7 in HSC without any extensions or sciences (mind you he got in the mid 90's for all his subs). You get my point though. :)

thorax94

HSC
I'm pretty sure they can't stop you doing the course. My school didn't let me into physics because I wasn't doing extension math. The head of science has always had it against me so I went to the year adviser and he let me in. I don't know if it's the same in your school but it's worth a try if you really want to do it.

p.s, I later picked up extension math anyway

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'm pretty sure they can't stop you doing the course. My school didn't let me into physics because I wasn't doing extension math. The head of science has always had it against me so I went to the year adviser and he let me in. I don't know if it's the same in your school but it's worth a try if you really want to do it.

p.s, I later picked up extension math anyway
Yeh, you just need to contact BOS (not this site the real one lol) and explain your situation. Unless i've heard wrong.

hayhay2012

HSC
Yeh, you just need to contact BOS (not this site the real one lol) and explain your situation. Unless i've heard wrong.
It's ok i dont really want to do maths extension 2 anyway :) too much effort/pressure. I am happy just to go really well in 3u and I can still get a 95+ atar im sure

Zeroes

HSC
Did you point this out to them? Rudely, if it didn't work the first time?

Surely it's a bit irrational of them (ignoring fairness due to high demand etc etc) to not let you do it if you've beaten other 4Uers. I had a similar situation in year 11, I had to really fight to do music 2 cause I didn't do elective in years 9/10. (Ended up dropping it anyway but it was still worthwhile and there wasn't any other prelim course I wanted to do)

Edit: Just saw your post above. Never mind then. :)

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It's ok i dont really want to do maths extension 2 anyway :) too much effort/pressure. I am happy just to go really well in 3u and I can still get a 95+ atar im sure
Yeh true. There seems to be a large demographic of students who only do well ONLY in maths in their HSC and end up with ATAR's which aren't as god as they could've been. That's probably why.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Of course you can.

Essentially, this. If you're doing extremely well and beating 4U kids, then you might as well do it as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)