can you still do well in 2u maths if your not a 3u? (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
In my school if you do 3u you finish the whole 2u course in year 11 and then do the whole 3u course in year 12, I am in year 12 now and I am finding 3u too hard so I want to drop as it takes all my time and causes stress...is this a good idea? also can i still top 2u if im not a 3u and is the scaling related? like you are scaled up if your a 3u or no? thanks so much

oh and my rank for 2u was 6/48 and my rank for 3u was 16/18... :(

HSC
The scaling of how well you go in 2U and 3U has no correlation. It's based on merits of themselves, not related.

If you are finding it too hard, wait until after the 1st assessment and then you can make a better decision.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would just keep 3U - spend less time on it. 3U can be a very good unit to have as a back up and the scaling might even make it count even if you don't do that great in it.

HSC
If you drop 3u, then you can still do 2u no worries. About half the 3u class of my school dropped it eventually and started 2u. I would do it if it's causing you too much stress. Besides, 2u scaled really well/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you find it too hard, then drop it. We can't tell you if it's a good idea or not - because it's your HSC, not ours and we don't know everything about you.

And yes, you can still stop 2u without doing 3u - and no, scaling is not related.

loaves

HSC
Definitely - one of my friends did very well in 2U in last year's HSC despite not doing 3U. If anything, your 2U mark will improve because you'll have more time to dedicate to it.

There is no point in continuing a subject which you find overly hard and stressful - these are the people who generally regret their subject choices at the end of the HSC. Concentrate on your strengths! (Hence why I dropped maths.)

enoilgam

HSC
In my school if you do 3u you finish the whole 2u course in year 11 and then do the whole 3u course in year 12, I am in year 12 now and I am finding 3u too hard so I want to drop as it takes all my time and causes stress...is this a good idea? also can i still top 2u if im not a 3u and is the scaling related? like you are scaled up if your a 3u or no? thanks so much

oh and my rank for 2u was 6/48 and my rank for 3u was 16/18... :(
I was in a similar position as you, and I ended up dropping 3u because it was diverting too much of my attention away from my other subjects. Many non-3 unit people do well in 2 unit (I still managed to get a band 6 in 2 unit).

hayhay2012

HSC
I was in a similar position as you, and I ended up dropping 3u because it was diverting too much of my attention away from my other subjects. Many non-3 unit people do well in 2 unit (I still managed to get a band 6 in 2 unit).
Do you mind me asking, what was your ATAR? :)

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
unfortunately at my school, the top students in 2u all do 3u.
i'm sure there's some advantage in doing 3u for the 2u course?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
unfortunately at my school, the top students in 2u all do 3u.
i'm sure there's some advantage in doing 3u for the 2u course?
There definitely is. You can still do great if you only do 2U, but doing 3U helps your 2U dramatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)