Can you be Christian, and support the existance of the state? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Is religious "faith" contingent on language, Pwar?

I know your the closest linguistics expert on here. I guess what I'm trying to drive at is, since the simple way to Heaven is "following the Biblical law and most importantly professing a faith in JC" is this not all impossible if we take language out of the picture?

Does the depth of "god" really go beyond words...I'm failing to present an old non-cognitivist argument for atheism here that I read a long time ago, perhaps you know more???

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Having read much of the Bible in its original languages, I would really have to say that it is clear on no subject.
Pro. Your multilingualism makes me jealous. I have resolved to start learning German at the end of semester (for fairly transparent reasons: Kant, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, etc...). I expect it to be arduous :S.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Yeah, because people seem to be becoming more intelligent, especially in the densely-populated religious countries, rite?!
No...? What is happenings to Christianity (and all religions for that matter) is what happened to Zeus and Fairies and UFO's; nobody 'disproved' these, no one got 'more intelligent', it simply became to embarrassing to profess belief in such nonsense.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You are a deep person with much substance ad infinitum. Pls keep posting

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It is one of the most basic sins in which the individual conceeds defeat to his animal instincts. If you cannot master your own body, what chance have you at being worthy of the promises of Christ?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
What's essentially wrong with it.

If you don't, your unconscious will. That is, you'll have a mad dream and make a mess. It is nature...hence for the god-believer, he definitely wanted us to.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's just a symbolic act of our definace of God and vain determination to find happiness within ourselves and without His love. It is a perversion/abuse of the intended act, which is for life and not an end in itself. It is a tragic reminder to the sinner that they cannot control themselves and their base instincts, which builds into a self-hatred that is dangerous for the individual and community at large.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
It's just a symbolic act of our definace of God and vain determination to find happiness within ourselves and without His love. It is a perversion/abuse of the intended act, which is for life and not an end in itself. It is a tragic reminder to the sinner that they cannot control themselves and their base instincts, which builds into a self-hatred that is dangerous for the individual and community at large.
Oh dude the rubbish you spout!

Self-hatred...

Note if you believe in a benevolent and just god, any of these "base instincts" are directly his production. Perhaps your position makes better sense under an atheistic worldview.

Dangerous for the community lol. Well if it suppressed a dudes desire to the point where he didnt rape, would that not be a positive?

Your outlook is so vile- "vain determination to find happiness": ultimately life is about seeking self-happiness, bar not affecting anyone else's right to do so.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No we all have intense desires and unfulfilled longing, but too often than not ppl seek to fill this unfillable void with the wrong things. But if they keep searching they will happen upon their own soul and find God.

Master yourself Cookie. Impose discipline upon your being and find true wisdom beyond the fog of temptation

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
No we all have intense desires and unfulfilled longing, but too often than not ppl seek to fill this unfillable void with the wrong things. But if they keep searching they will happen upon their own soul and find God.

Master yourself Cookie. Impose discipline upon your being and find true wisdom beyond the fog of temptation
I'm close to writing you off as a pot-head.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na i'm a potter m8, planting seeds within u that will sprout in due season. Just weed ur garden pls

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
Na i'm a potter m8, planting seeds within u that will sprout in due season. Just weed ur garden pls
yes and may a garden sprout from the seeds your are planting in gods fertile soil, and you and I brother will forever relish in our garden together in Gods grace. And the roses of faith will bring great scent to your body which will become the body of Christ in which I will eat, in order to become Christ and BEcome come One with You.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
yes and may a garden sprout from the seeds your are planting in gods fertile soil, and you and I brother will forever relish in our garden together in Gods grace. And the roses of faith will bring great scent to your body which will become the body of Christ in which I will eat, in order to become Christ and BEcome come One with You.

What he said.

jmakowiak

HSC
A summary of what this thread is turning into:

Person A: I believe in god and I believe you shouldn't do what he tells you not to do!
Person B: Well I don't beleive in god so i'm fine to do whatever I want.
Person A: I am planting seeds within you.
Person B: Whatever.

etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)