Can teachers "force" drop you in a subject? (1 Viewer)

OliverQ

HSC
chewy123 said:
If teachers are forcing you to drop a subject, then they are indirectly determining the composition of your subject choice, which is not allowed, as board of studies said student can choose whatever subjects they desire so long it satisfy certain criteria (i.e. 10 units, 2 must be english), and whether or not teachers agree with the subject choice is not one of the criteria. This applies in extension subjects.
definite answer

full stop.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
chewy123 said:
If teachers are forcing you to drop a subject, then they are indirectly determining the composition of your subject choice, which is not allowed, as board of studies said student can choose whatever subjects they desire so long it satisfy certain criteria (i.e. 10 units, 2 must be english), and whether or not teachers agree with the subject choice is not one of the criteria. This applies in extension subjects.
[citation needed]

I haven't found anything in all the Board manuals I've read that in fact gives students any power to choose subjects at all. (I suspect there might be something in Official Notices from way back though.)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
its probably one of those things where they technically can't do it, but just because their the teacher they'll just do it anyway

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I've been told by my school (and this is what they use to justify themselves) that the Board of Studies states that the final decision is to be made by the principal or his/her representative. So if they think you shouldn't do it - either go to another school, sit it at tafe or just accept the school's decision.

However most school's wont do that - I know public schools tend to give a lot of students freedom. Also in some cases, the school won't let you drop (I'm just adding that in because I'm still kinda pissed I wasn't allowed to drop).

HSC
I've been told by my school (and this is what they use to justify themselves) that the Board of Studies states that the final decision is to be made by the principal or his/her representative. So if they think you shouldn't do it - either go to another school, sit it at tafe or just accept the school's decision.

However most school's wont do that - I know public schools tend to give a lot of students freedom. Also in some cases, the school won't let you drop (I'm just adding that in because I'm still kinda pissed I wasn't allowed to drop).
really? how come they didnt let you drop?

same person

HSC
They can very strongly recommend you leave the class...and after they do that, well, they can somehow not allow you in the course.

Not that it's happened to me...*shifty* haha

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
So I was wondering if the teachers can just kick you out of the subject for low marks? Would this apply for extension courses?
pretty much.

why take extension if you're gonna fail.

I did it and it wasn't worth it.

I bludged the first half of the year and absolutely got fucked over in extension history and extension english (maths was fine because it was all tests). I was the only kid who was not made to drop for failing a test, but at the end of the day if you are smart enough to do extension subjects, but are a bit of a bludger, you would be better off doing well in easier subjects than failing extensions.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
This is only true if you break school rules or state laws (eg sell drugs, bash another student).

Provided a student makes a serious attempt in class and in assessment tasks, then they cannot be removed from the course.

LordPc

HSC
It depends on what school you go to i think, my bf brother isnt even allowed to move on to year 11 cuz they dont like his assessment marks. Some schools are insane.
This isnt that insane. If the school doesnt like a students marks, as in they think they are too low and the student is just a disruption to the classes, they dont have to accept them back into year 11.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
simple answer yes, provided you have enough units to complete your HSC.

lou071

HSC
N/A
So I was wondering if the teachers can just kick you out of the subject for low marks? Would this apply for extension courses?
yes they can. my classmates got kicked out

binary star

HSC
Yeah they can. My ext 1 teacher warned us at the beginning of the prelim course.

but I got through it... somehow.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Maths Head Teacher wanted to drop me but I beat some 4U kids in both assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)