Can someone please explain to me...? (1 Viewer)

boxhunter91

HSC
Guys someone explain to me in english because UAC is ridiculous.
I got an ATAR of 91.65
Med Science was my backup plan and it was 2nd pref at USYD and 3rd pref at UNSW.
USYD's cut off this year is 92.05. UNSW's cut off is 94.7. (I just got the new updated ATAR cut off's here: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/documents/atar/atar10-cutoff-main.pdf

How the heck didnt i get offered at USYD?
I do know about UNSW HSC PLus scheme and USYD's flexible entry scheme. But still i should have been offered USYD considering i got Band 5's in all three sciences + Band 6 in maths...
Someone please help :(

HSC
no idea. Most likely Usyd medsci was filled to capacity. What did you get offered?
I"m guessing your backup is to get into med. If you got offered a "plain" science degree; just do all the medical subjects and you'll be fine. Medical science = Science (med).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Because you missed out on the official cut off at both universities, you may be considered in a separate pool of students who are eligible for the bonus point system and have a chance to get an offer for these "reserved" spots. It is possible that whoever you were competing with had higher combined ATAR + bonus points than you and these places were offer to these students. You were however, ranked high enough in the UNSW pool to be given an offer.

I hope this helps.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
It seems that USYD is very, very adamant and strict with their cutoffs... I have friends at Mac and UNSW who got in to their 1st preferences with 2 points below the published cutoff.

I am in the same boat with you. Equation: 96.00 ATAR + 96.25 USYD Cutoff = Me going to UNSW =]

Let's hope for late rounds =]

Did you get your first preference, btw? If you did, that would explain it. If you get your first preference, you obviously wouldn't get subsequent preferences.

boxhunter91

HSC
Nah i didnt get my first preference. I only got offered my 3rd preference which is UNSW. Dam cant believe this :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nah i didnt get my first preference. I only got offered my 3rd preference which is UNSW. Dam cant believe this :(
Like Survivor said, you missed out on the cutoff, pretty simple story really.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How the heck didnt i get offered at USYD?
I do know about UNSW HSC PLus scheme and USYD's flexible entry scheme. But still i should have been offered USYD considering i got Band 5's in all three sciences + Band 6 in maths...
Someone please help :(
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I thought that scheme was only for UNSW.

spence

HSC
You missed out on an offer to a course that you were below the cutoff for. Really hard to see how that happened

Jennt

HSC
N/A
Someone in my family got offered BMedSci at USYD. Had an ATAR of 95.35 with 3 Band 6's and 2 very high Band 5's. I'm guessing that's what it took to get in this year?

regards and good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)