Can someone help me UNDERSTAND melting and biling points. (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am having trouble answering questions like:

Determine if x is a solid or liquid if it's melting point is -119 degrees Celsius and it is place in a room at 1 degrees Celsius.

Please try to explain the whole concept, or direct me to somewhere or someone who can help.

ShortSided

HSC
At -119°C and below, x will be a liquid and any temperature above -119°C, x will be a solid. Therefore when x is at 1°C, it's a solid.
Remember, melting means when a substance changes from solid to liquid state.

Last edited:

Aesytic

HSC
melting point is the point when a solid turns into a liquid. the freezing point is the point when a liquid turns into a solid. the freezing point of a substance will be the same as its melting point, but the definitions of the two terms are different. in this case, if x's melting point is -119 degrees celsius, then at that temperature x will change from a solid to a liquid. 1 degree celsius is a higher temperature than -119 degrees celsius. a higher temperature means the molecules of the chemical move around more vigourously, with more energy and are therefore able to break the intermolecular bonds holding the molecules together. once these intermolecular bonds are broken, the substance changes state from solid to liquid.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
At -119°C and below, x will be a liquid and any temperature above -119°C, x will be a solid. Therefore when x is at 1°C, it's a solid.
Remember, melting means when a substance changes from solid to liquid state.
Lolno

munitz

HSC
try using positive numbers it will make things more clear.
boiling point is the highest temperature. anything above that temp will make it a gas
melting point will be the middle temp. anything between melting point and boiling point is a liquid
and therefore anything below melting point will be a solid.
you cant really answer your question as to whether it is a liquid or a gas because the boiling point is not given. I guess you have to therefore assume its a liquid?

eg if a substance has a boiling point at -30 degrees, a melting point at -112 degrees and a freezing point at -120 degrees, what is its state at -60 degrees
A: it would be a liquid

dulip

HSC
You couldn't be sure it was a liquid right? How do you know the boiling point is above 1 degree Celsius?

nightweaver066

HSC
Liquid.

Temperatures < -119 degrees celcius would be solid.

Substance will start melting at -119 degrees celcius.

Temperatures > -119 degrees celcius would be liquid (assumed all temperatures higher will be liquid as no boiling point given)

So temperature = 1 degrees celcius would be liquid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)