• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone explain how offer rounds work?? (1 Viewer)

MehriA

HSC
ATAR results are coming up and I have no idea how the offer rounds work. Is main round the first round? If I accept my first offer can I still change my preferences and see if I get an offer for another degree in the second round? Will I lose my first offer if I did this? Someone pls explain everything to me, when are the rounds, etc. My first preference is UNSW so if I get the guaranteed atar am I accepted automatically? Many thanks in advance.

CTon

HSC
You get one offer per round. There are early rounds, a main round and later rounds. Most offers are made in the main round. If you don't qualify for your first or second preference for example, but qualify for your third preference, you will get an offer for your third preference. Continuing on with this example you will be further considered in later rounds for your first and second preferences and might get a later round offer for them.

Accept the first offer you get as there are no guarantees you will get another. You can also ditch it and accept a better offer later if it comes. You can also change your preferences after the main round (or any other round).

D94

HSC
N/A
My first preference is UNSW so if I get the guaranteed atar am I accepted automatically?
No such thing as a guaranteed ATAR or automatically accepted - those cutoffs are for last year students. They are indicative of what is expected. The ATAR is a rank, and the number of spots are limited, so what if the number of students above a certain ATAR exceeds the number of available spots? Obviously this doesn't happen because you are not competing for an ATAR, you are competing for a spot.

You should order your preferences from most desired to least desired, forget about what the cutoff was for last year.

MehriA

HSC
No such thing as a guaranteed ATAR or automatically accepted - those cutoffs are for last year students. They are indicative of what is expected. The ATAR is a rank, and the number of spots are limited, so what if the number of students above a certain ATAR exceeds the number of available spots? Obviously this doesn't happen because you are not competing for an ATAR, you are competing for a spot.

You should order your preferences from most desired to least desired, forget about what the cutoff was for last year.
UNSW has Guaranteed Entry. It's not cut off, it's usually higher than cut off. https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/guaranteed-entry
I don't think other Uni's do this though.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Just confirming, say that I'm certain I'll manage to hit 92 to get into UNSW engineering but results day arrives and I end up with 84, do I change my UAC top preference to a course with a cutoff around that much?

D94

HSC
N/A
Just confirming, say that I'm certain I'll manage to hit 92 to get into UNSW engineering but results day arrives and I end up with 84, do I change my UAC top preference to a course with a cutoff around that much?
No because cutoffs are not predetermined. Cutoffs by definition must be determined after offers have been released because they are predicated on the number of spots available vs the number of students who apply. Sure cutoffs remain similar each year, but that is beside the point - you cannot know the actual cutoff until offers are released.

Order based on most desired to least desired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)