Can religion and science be on the same side (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
I am sick of people assuming that becouse I''m religious, I don't believe in science.....
I'm not catholic and I don't take genesis literally.
Many christians believe in evolutiuon etc as well.

Discuss

sam5

HSC
i think ur thread is in the wrong section, so it would be good if someone could shift it to the appropriate place.

Anyways.

I dont know anything about religion (yeah, im the kinda guy who deliberately eats a piece of scotch fillet on good friday) but how can a religious person believe in evolution if they are both conflicting ideas?

Its a contradiction if u ask me.

Science is based on rationality, evidence and the truth, whereas religion is based on faith, superstition and belief.

It blows my mind away to thank that anyone can still believe in god this day in age. Gee i hope the higgs can answer some questions (but it will prolly create more questions than answers lol).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Mutually exclusive.

Religious nuts who say they believe in evolution are dumb because they still believe there is this omnipresent creator somewhere in the universe responsible for evolution and it's just not right.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, imo tbh

pman

Banned
HSC
If its in the wrong place, where would you put it?

Also, higgs boson will def ask more questions than it answers (if it exists) and no, religion and evolution are not contradicting, the Bible only says "in the begining God created the heavens and the earth", it does not stae when this begining is.

My faith is based on logic and observation and careful application of occums razor, that is, God is the simplest explanation for a universe that defies all odds!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Religious people believe in evolution because they're too embarrassed to admit that Creationism is a sham and if they admit Creationism is a sham, they're admitting the foundations of religion (i.e. GOD) is a sham.

Thus hey, we admit evolution is a plausible idea but we still think God did it, lol.

pman

Banned
HSC
Religious people believe in evolution because they're too embarrassed to admit that Creationism is a sham and if they admit Creationism is a sham, they're admitting the foundations of religion (i.e. GOD) is a sham.

Thus hey, we admit evolution is a plausible idea but we still think God did it, lol.
I shared your opinion and was staunchly anti-religious untill i realise that creationism and eveolution are not mutualy exclusive, The Bible does not say how God created the animals (except for humans) and often the term "day" is used metaphorically in the bible to mean a long period of time!

The Bible does not oppose evolution

HSC
Uni Grad
I dont believe in god and I think the whole concept is ridiculous however I dont see why (if this god fellow exists), he cannot have planned for evolution to occur.

I am open to enlightenment.

EDIT: I think imma agree with Katie Tully, that seems to make sense.

Last edited:

sam5

HSC
I shared your opinion and was staunchly anti-religious untill i realise that creationism and eveolution are not mutualy exclusive, The Bible does not say how God created the animals (except for humans) and often the term "day" is used metaphorically in the bible to mean a long period of time!

The Bible does not oppose evolution
ever heard of the urey and miller experiment? it explains the possibility of the origin of organic molecules via the fusion of atmospheric gasses due to lightning.

But didnt the bible say that the world was created in 7 days or something? Evolution took a little bit longer than 7 days to happen. And we know that humans didnt originate at the same time as other animals.

Just remember that the bible isnt a truthful textbook, and that i have no religious knowledge. Its all stupid and doesnt make sense. Just isnt realistic. And then when they make advertisements to combat the atheist advertisements on london busses it really makes u think what kind of organisation the churches are.

sam5

HSC
well why dont the stupid religious fags be a bit more succinct about it.

It would make them a touch more believable.

Religion should be very uncommon in a few hundred years; thats if religion doesnt succeed in brainwashing the masses further.

I refuse to say anymore on such a stupid topic. Its only stubborn people who dont work on rationality that feed the argument.

pman

Banned
HSC
My reason for belief is pure rationality, oh, and from memory, without looking anything up, wasn't Urey and Miller's experiment a failure!

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I'll say it here.

EXPLAIN THE DINOSAURS!

pman

Banned
HSC
If evolution is fact (as I've said it is), then naturally, dead ends such as the dinosaurs are going to exist, this is part of Gods plan.

I ask instead, how do you explain the astronimical odds of proteins grouping into such complex structures as DNA.

or indead, how structures as complex as DNA exist, the odds of Humanity arising given a big bang are les than1 in 10^1 billion.

For this reason I believe that something had to juggle the odds in our favour

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Why do assume if something has low probability there must be a god.
Your just making yourself seem more idiotic and misinformed.
Im sick of theists using the argument that life is complex. Fuck, life is not complex.
Given 15 billion years, anything can happen.

pman

Banned
HSC
No, a scientific study into proteins deemed them so complex (cos 50 odd things have to happen simultaneously for them to happen) that either they automatically have to exist or that is a God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)