Can love conquer all? (1 Viewer)

ladyknight

HSC
The funny part about our parents' interference is that while both sets seem to like us individually as whole, sentient, generally mature-minded people, they just seem unable to think beyond the apparent 'incompatibility' of our diverse backgrounds. İ know part of it is fear of difficulty and of crossing unspoken but ever-present boundries, from my side anyway. İ suppose it's their learning curve too.

Rather than giving a simple yes/no answer, İm grateful to most for justifying their own opinions on the matter. İ do not consider my religion or my culture having had a negative impact on my development as a human being in the slightest, nor do İ appreciate those self-righteous few who insist otherwise.

And in between spasms of uncertainty, İ know İm damn well gonna fight for this! İ have something more powerful than any of their fears. :rolleyes:

And who knows- İ just might end up marrying the lad... :shy:
:D

Bookie

Banned
HSC
senida said:
i think you should research islam a bit more jst simply type in islam on google.com and read a bit about it before you decide whether you can continue to date this person
phew!

i was wondering what i was going to do with my islamic girlfriend. but now i can research it up on google and know everything i need to know!

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ladyknight said:
The funny part about our parents' interference is that while both sets seem to like us individually as whole, sentient, generally mature-minded people, they just seem unable to think beyond the apparent 'incompatibility' of our diverse backgrounds. İ know part of it is fear of difficulty and of crossing unspoken but ever-present boundries, from my side anyway. İ suppose it's their learning curve too.

Rather than giving a simple yes/no answer, İm grateful to most for justifying their own opinions on the matter. İ do not consider my religion or my culture having had a negative impact on my development as a human being in the slightest, nor do İ appreciate those self-righteous few who insist otherwise.

And in between spasms of uncertainty, İ know İm damn well gonna fight for this! İ have something more powerful than any of their fears. :rolleyes:

And who knows- İ just might end up marrying the lad... :shy:
:D
:) good to hear...believe me on this one, don't give up love for ANYTHING, and on the religion issue, if you and the guy can work an agreement out then it's your lives, you know, parents will find it hard to accept at first, but if you two are serious they will eventually accept.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
It depends on how strongly you feel about your religion. Some people see their religion as a stronger presence in their life than what love is. Some people look towards marriage and see that a Christian and Islam marriage could never work. It depends where you two are in the relationship and whether you'd have a neutral marriage (if it came to that)

I do agree that it can work, of course only if you and him both want it to. It has to be a 2 way street where both people have to be willing to go through so much shit.

Do you parents completely disagree with the relationship? If you told them, "look I love this guy, so deal with it", will they disown you? (Don't laugh, kids, it's happened).

I agree with ur_inner_child, most people date to date and not to marry. I'm dating someone my parents don't approve of but they don't have much of a leg to stand on, so basically I don't give a shit what they think. Then again, it's not such a issue as religion.

davin

HSC
N/A
be ready to have contact with your family get messed up. relationship with family will be distorted or destroyed.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Komaticom said:
I'm sure to some people the temporary relationship to a significant other is immeasurably more important than permanent family relations.

hehehehehehe.
I dont know whether you were being a smartarse (so sorry if you werent) but actually, that would ring true to many people. So its not that weird a concept actually.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
And its not necessarily a stupid one either. It usually is, but with some exceptions.

My parents who controlled what I ate, wore, dated, learnt, saw, where I went out, which degree, etc

and would give me all hell if I ever strayed slightly....

Actually, it wasn't me valuing my boyfriend over my parents, it was me valuing myself and respecting myself and what I wanted from life over my parents' expectations.

Hmm, bit of a random rant there..

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i don't know if i can love, trust or rely on someone as much as i cared for my sister. cause i know whatever fight i get in with her we just cool off and we're cool again. i don't know if i will ever been in such a relationship with another person where that will be the case.

ladyknight

HSC
Do you parents completely disagree with the relationship?
Nah, İ know doubtlessless they love me, want my happiness, etc., and İ understand their reluctance towards 'the issue'- it must be hard to go against social norms and expectations in any circumstance. Their openmindedness towards anyone and any culture/religion helps immensely, though. My heart goes out to the children of those who aren't as much.

So has he seen your face yet?
What?!
Sorry, İ realized that is actually a reasonable question for many and not necessarily a stereotype- my bad. :eek:
I have never worn a head-scarf, my parents are neither fundamental by their beliefs or politics. They raised me in both the US and Australia while maintaining the Turkish culture of my family which İ vısit often, so consider me fully integrated to both Western and Eastern. You probably couldn't pick me out of a crowd.

Hey, İ just might be the person behind you on the bus... ;)

gracie007

HSC
wow you always read about these sort of stories as works of fiction, but i dont know anyone that its actually happening to. but correct me if im wrong, dont all the major religions have the same (if not similar) core values and visions? thats what you should bring it down to.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yes and no..

Although... Values about the expectations of women, marriage, sex, behaviour, as well as cultural traditions often tie in with it too, and since its a relationship we are talking about, its quite a complex matter.

If both parties are generally open minded, eg, the Christian household truly loves thy neighbour :) and as ladyknight has suggested, that her parents are open-minded too, it should be fine.

They seem to be misconceptions and stereotypes of two religions that people are thinking of when they say it won't work out. It's often true, though, that religious people are very strong with their beliefs, but if it as you say, ladyknight, it ought to be fine.

And as an add-note, open-minded Muslim families exist... one of my friends are in one, and its quite interesting. It's much the same as an open-minded christian family.

aimes:)

HSC
depends...if u really want it 2 work then make it work. if you don't...just move on

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
breaking said:
nah i dont think it will work, but its your fault for being islamic.
bwahahahaahaha. oh my :eek:

wasnt there a movie or show on this sort of thing on abc? like that guy who used to be on 'always greener' was dating a muslim girl ... i think it worked out for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)