Can love conquer all? (1 Viewer)

ladyknight

HSC
He was raised a Christian, I was raised in a Muslim culture. We love eachother completely and purely, regardless of our upbringing, and of our blatently opposing families.

This is my question to you all- in this day and age, do you think it is possible to simply be together?

Darkening

HSC
Yes. Im filo and my girlfriend is Thai, parents hate it but we still have a healthy relationship :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
As long as you both persist, be patient, and put some effort in, then yes.

If its about compability, there are a lot of common ties between islam and christianity.

But these sorts of differences between lovers and families have existed for a long time, whether it be race, religion, general dislikes of one another, age, general values.... its happened before it can happen again.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
amor vincit omnia

Yes.

senida

HSC
in my opinion i don't think it will work allthough islam and christianity have some similarities there are too many differences jst picture life if you choose to marry, being a muslim myself i find religion a number one priority and would therefore try my best to teach my children the things i know about my religion, how do you do dat if you have a christian father and muslim mother, you'll confuse the poor kid. i think you should research islam a bit more jst simply type in islam on google.com and read a bit about it before you decide whether you can continue to date this person

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
^^^i doubt many try to look toward marriage when they date someone.

me for instance - 3 years and counting with a guy that my parents to this day do not approve, do not acknowledge his existence even when he learns and takes interests in anything Chinese or gives presents......

and here I am...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
i'd say she knew a bit about islam.

mostly because, you know... she is a muslim.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
nah i dont think it will work, but its your fault for being islamic.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
it might work, i dont think it will because muslims are stupid and not willing to adapt, but if u put in the effort i dont see why it shouldnt

love cant conquer all, but its a good reason to give up your outdated beleifs

HSC
if you two love eachother then yes, but external factors will always interfere

Northern Elias

HSC
Well, If you cherish religeon then let it be. But if Your Boyfriend dosen't try convert you or have any intention too and you have no intention of converting him then yes Love does Conquer all. Family will be a struggle and it won't be easy, If your family is more traditional in Islamic teachings then they will be fustrated since Tradition in the Islamic world shows that the man has more authority. But Yeh persistence will make it work

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ladyknight said:
He was raised a Christian, I was raised in a Muslim culture. We love eachother completely and purely, regardless of our upbringing, and of our blatently opposing families.

This is my question to you all- in this day and age, do you think it is possible to simply be together?
well hi, same situation...but me and my partner are not religious so no probs with that or what my kid will do...basically kids choice, sharred background education :) and that's too far in the future if i even have a kid!
but...ofcourse due to culture etc parents we were raised in different ways....parents have different beliefs...well the end result is we are engaged lol. it's up to you two to make it work,the religious factor does probably impact, even without religion it's not easy because in the end the guy and his surrounding ppl may see things as normal, which are completely not normal to you, but, everything glamorous is expensive, everything you really want, you have to work to get it, that's the way the world works.
basically what i mean is, ofcourse it won't be easy, but it doesnt mean that it can't happen, if there is love and you two agree on most things, don't worry about parents, they are your parents and they shall want the best, if you can make them see that he loves you etc then they will eventaully have to accept it...but i've heard stories about muslim/christian that are not so flashy they break up cos of parents, or bad terrible things happen...it depends on how religious your family and you are really...you should also make sure that you talk to the guy and see exactly how similar or different his thoughts are than yours, before you go n do anything crazy.

oh yeh,a note to everyone cos ur inner childs "^^^i doubt many try to look toward marriage when they date someone" :)
coming from a family with a muslim background, for those who are not informed, in the religion there is no such thing as boyfriend...you get married, the end.
even though i dont support that religion, the way i was brought up on the issue (and many people with a similar cultur. bckgrnd) kinda is an alternation of that view... i mean ofcourse if it doesnt work out then it doesnt, they will have other boyfriends after etc, who knows, but ideally, people within that culture want their first boyfriend to be forever, that's why we don't just date people at 15 etc, every experience is wanted to be shared with the future husnband, the thought is: "i want to find a person that i will fall in love with, once, and forever, so i will spend my time and look for him"
yeah it's a bit like cinderella ideology, but if people be patient it does happen, so yeh, it's just a different upbringing....theres ppl like that from other cultures too, but the majority of muslim country background (who are even not too religious) ppl are like that.
zomg.....longest jargon i've posted so far ahaha.

Last edited:

xoxo

HSC
i think that yes it can
but YOU have to make it work
if u both belive that it wont work coz of religion of family or w/e then it wont
i think that ur parents should be supportive...its ur life...and i think soemtimes religions and culture and w/e else has to be put aside sometimes

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Unlikely.

It seems that by definition at least one of you believes the other will burn in hell. Hardly a brilliant foundation for a relationship.

I say it could work if one or both of you were willing to renounce their religion of birth and become either both aethist or both of one religion. If the parents of whomever converts are religious then this will drive a wedge between you as a couple and that side of the family.

All in all a very softly softly one. If no one on either side in the relationship or in their immediate families is fanatical/devout/etc then it should work. If they are then it probably wont.

Remember that romeo and juliet die in the end, hardly a victory over adversity.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Firstly, you should never be afraid of who you are or what you believe in...

What I don't understand is - Why are some religions so against eachother when the fundamental value of every religion is forgivance and acceptance?! Why are some religions so head to head, so full of rejection of other religions when there are no "best one" out of them? That's why I'm a Buddhist, we accept the reality of other religions and only talk of destiny and not conversion...

Love conquers all, Ladyknight, but it shouldn't become the theme of your world, life is most valuable...I totally support your relationship - I was waiting for a chance to say this - Shouldn't all religions accept unconditional love in their teachings?! If they all do, then why is there forbidden love and rules in love?! If the very "circumstance" in a religion is that you God(s) will hate you because you've fallen for someone which your religion dispises...then the whole idea of a religion is very absurd - people should seek guidance and acceptance there, not rejection.

Go for it! Who knows, it might be the Gods who are saying that things should be changing...

Conversion doesn't work...acceptance and mutual respect do. I'm not saying that you should turn your back on your religion, just that some religions do not have very accepting ideas...and this makes life harder rather than easier. Tradition is important, but it shouldn't be a rope around your neck, if love is based on religion, then it's conditional and never really genuine...

I hope that Muslim and Christianity would resolve this issue - one day...

I wish you all the best. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)