Can I still become a doctor? (1 Viewer)

soccer16

HSC
Received mid 70's as my atar. ^ If so, what pathways and how long does it take?

Thanks guys.

enoilgam

HSC
Here are some good links explaining the process http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=262279, http://ama.com.au/node/4130

You need to assess whether you are capable of getting in to medicine. Medicine is one of if not the hardest degrees to get into. It is extremely competitive and many people fail to make it. With an ATAR of 70, its extremely extremely unlikely that you will be able to suddenly pull up your socks and cruise your way into a medical degree. I hate to be so negative and shoot down your dreams, but you need to be very realistic when considering this course. However, in saying that, feel free to prove me wrong.

HSC
Uni Grad
1. repeat hsc, sit umat - takes a minimum of 1 year
2. do a BSc, sit gamsat - takes a minimum of 3 years

---

but the question you have to ask yourself is whether you can get the marks required considering you got a mid 70s atar, there are no easy ways into med, for option 1. you'd need an atar of 95+ and a umat of 85+

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
anything is possible mate. you just gotta believe in urself.

but nah really. like OE said, u probably gotta finish a uni degree or repeat HSC.
1. finishing a uni degree and then doing postgrad med is 7 years minimum (3 year undergrad degree + 4 years grad med)
2. repeating HSC and getting into undergrad med is 6/7 years minimum (depending which med school you go to). this option is risky since if you dont get into undergrad med, you've just wasted a whole year.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Do another course - Get a high GPA
2. Resit UMAT if needed
3. Apply as a non-standard applicant and do medicine in 2013.

Alternately

1. Finish another degree with a high GPA
2. Do GAMSAT
3. Apply to graduate medicine.

gettinbetter

HSC
If you're loaded, you can go to the states and just pay your way into Medicine via Medical School of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)