Can I get an ATAR of above 70 with these ranks? (1 Viewer)

hoofheartedgirl

HSC
My gut instinct tells me that I did really poorly in the HSC. I'm trying to get an ATAR of 72 but I know that the cut off changes each year and I'm worried that it will go up this year (environmental biology @uts)! I went to my year advisor who is really accurate when it comes to estimating atars and he estimated mine to be high 78ish MAYBE even low 80s, but the thing is, I didn't perform to the best of my abilities in HSC.

My school is ranked 35

My ranks:
Biology: 60/94
Senior Science: 23/46
General Maths: 19/192
Advance English: 72/268
Legal Studies: 24/48
Agriculture: 6/8

Do you think I can get above 70 with these ranks?

Salehhh

HSC
You school rank is really good, which will uplift your ATAR. Also, you're ranks are pretty decent. You could easily achieve 70+ with them ranks. But, it depends how bad you preformed in the HSC exams...

You're ranks might lift up you're mark.. but it really depends on the performance of your cohort in you're subjects.

enoilgam

HSC
The average ATAR for a school ranked 35th is usually around 90ish. So given that and your ranks, I'd say you're looking at around 88 - 91 at this point. The rank your school has given you looks like a gross underestimation - which is common because schools either dont know what they are doing, or because they want to encourage you to do better by offering a low estimate (I'd say that the latter is most likely).

hoofheartedgirl

HSC
not sure if srs
ur probs getting like 90
Dead serious! People at my school perform really well and we're not even a selective school! But as an individual, I'm doing average if not a tad bit lower and like I said, I slacked of after the trials and have been cramming every single exam sooooo... Yeahhh... :S

hoofheartedgirl

HSC
The average ATAR for a school ranked 35th is usually around 90ish. So given that and your ranks, I'd say you're looking at around 88 - 91 at this point. The rank your school has given you looks like a gross underestimation - which is common because schools either dont know what they are doing, or because they want to encourage you to do better by offering a low estimate (I'd say that the latter is most likely).
Wow really? That gives me some hope! I didn't think my school rank would affect my atar so drastically? How hard is it to achieve an atar of above 70 though? Are band 4s enough?

enoilgam

HSC
Wow really? That gives me some hope! I didn't think my school rank would affect my atar so drastically? How hard is it to achieve an atar of above 70 though? Are band 4s enough?
Your school rank isnt "pulling you up", your ranks relative to the estimated strength of your cohort are just conducive to a 90ish ATAR. For a person of average ability, an ATAR of 70 should be pretty straightforward to achieve with a little effort. For the exact marks check an ATAR calculator, because they are likely to be far more accurate than any of us. But mid band fours in your subjects should get you somewhere in the 70s I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)