• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can I drop a subject at the end of Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Raajaaqt

HSC
Hi,

I am currently in Year 11 now going into term 2 and Society and Culture is.. well I am finding it boring and it is a bit tough. So I was just wondering am I able to drop it at the end of the year. Here are my other subjects:

Standard English
General Mathematics
Legal Studies
Engineering Studies
Business Studies
Society and Culture

Will there be any negatives if I do drop, if so what?
Thanks, any information would be appreciated. :)

enoilgam

HSC
You can drop it if you want - you will be left with 10 units worth of BDCs which is enough for a HSC and ATAR. The whole 10 units debate has been had many times before, but basically it comes down to each individual situation really. The main advantage of having more than 10 units is that you have some back-up in case you stuff up in a subject. But this advantage is worthless if you are doing significantly worse in the extra units (i.e. if you have 12 units and you are doing well in everything except S&C, then it probably wont count towards your ATAR and is therefore not really worth keeping).

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah drop it but pick another subject as a replacement (if u can) so that you keep your atar safe from sudden 'jolts'.:biggrin:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh yeh soz i forgot that but then he can pick up advanced english and advanced maths right?
You can drop down from advanced but not go up from general/standard. Even if you could it wouldn't give you more units.

Unless you're doing really bad in S&C I'd keep it just to have something to fall back on, but I'm probably just being overly cautious. It's not necessary to keep it, but (taking performance into account) it is generally advisable to do more than ten. Loads of people don't and get excellent marks though, so whatever you think is best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)