Can HSC markers 'google?' (1 Viewer)

sweetiez09

HSC
No idea if this has been discussed before, but I'm really curious and would love to know. Once a marker has your paper in front of them and they come across something they're not sure is real or not, are they allowed to whip out some device and google it?

Like say for example you do legal studies, and you decide to chuck in quite a few made up cases and newspaper articles. Are they allowed to check if they infact are legitimate, or do they just have to take your word for it?

Thanks!

Emma Watson

HSC
no they don't. They are payed to according the the amount of papers they mark so they would have to be in a hurry to mark a lot of papers to get the $$$

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Will we get slammed if we get caught making up Cases and Media Reports?
no you won't. HSC markers don't have the time to check if everyone of the cases and media reports are true or not. However do NOT make up laws because they generally have a good sense of them

just put a good effort of making them up properly. nothing like "Why the criminal trial process is bad" (Telegraph, 2014). Something like "Aggressive policing' creating court delays, crime statistics boss says" (SMH, 2014) would be okay
To put this to bed;

Media Reports: 99% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up newspaper articles and their titles. Do not make up government/law reform commission/parliamentary reports; the markers will most likely know the main reports for each particular syllabus dot point.

Cases: 90% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up 'random' cases demonstrating a point of law in action. Do not make up cases and claim them to be 'landmark' cases, or cases which 'fundamentally changed a point of law', because the markers will know it's bullshit. Do not make up a case in situations where it is expected you name the landmark case e.g. R v LMW 1999 for Doli Incapax, Re Evelyn 1998 for Surrogacy.

Legislation/International Instruments: NEVER make these up. Know them - including date and jurisdiction - like you know your student number.

Pro tips: From experience, making up cases and media reports can actually take LONGER in the exam than writing out actual media reports and cases that you have prepared and memorised. You have had a full year to find evidence for your arguments - surely enough time.

astroman

HSC
not sure if they do for all subjects but they do for some, my engineering studies teacher said that a student wrote that there are carbon fibre bridge, they didn't believe it at the marking centre so they googled it and did exist so the student got full marks

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

i--N

HSC
Well, if its really suspiscious of plagiarism and the marker is strict, then he will 'google' while eating food.

theodore0307

HSC
No idea if this has been discussed before, but I'm really curious and would love to know. Once a marker has your paper in front of them and they come across something they're not sure is real or not, are they allowed to whip out some device and google it?

Like say for example you do legal studies, and you decide to chuck in quite a few made up cases and newspaper articles. Are they allowed to check if they infact are legitimate, or do they just have to take your word for it?

Thanks!
You can used made up cases. As long as it fits, your good to go

Candidate

HSC
My Religion teacher just told us to make up quotes from the Qur'an if we forgot them since they don't even know those references off by heart, or as well as the Bible references at least.

So make up I did and got 95 for RE.

enoilgam

HSC

Thanks!
From what I've been told, markers just want to get the job done, so I doubt whether they would bother even if they could. I've marked essays in bulk myself and it was a painful experience - if I had to mark hundreds I seriously doubt whether I would even bother taking the time to check every suspicious essay.

no they don't. They are payed to according the the amount of papers they mark so they would have to be in a hurry to mark a lot of papers to get the $$$
From what a marker told me, the system used to be like this until it switch to an hourly rate (to encourage better quality marking).

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
my teacher told me that when he did HSC marking it was by the hour, and you only get invited back to marking if you are fairly fast and do good marking. but he did say that markers sometimes would ask each other about what the student have written and whether it was sus and they would end up arguing because they had differnet views from different textbooks and eventually they got protective of the student they were marking and it was like they were debating for their student and yeah.
also it was because the writer of one of the main textbooks was marking, and my teacher hates that guy lol.

britaker

HSC
I heard one year for chemistry they asked a radioisotopes in medicine/industry question and got a whole range of weird ass answers, so much so that they kind of had to 'google' or at least look up somehow some of them.

This was from my chemistry teacher who I think was made an HSC marker last year, make of it what you will haha :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Biology Teachers a a HSC marker...

If anything is unusual/haven't heard of then the marker googles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)