Calculators in the IPT exam? (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
Are we allowed to take calculators into the IPT exam?

My teacher has always said no, and disallowed it throuhgout the course, but is it true that all calculators are banned for the HSC in this exam?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Teacher saying no = HSC saying no ;) (most of the time anyway)

Calculators have never ever been allowed in the HSC... What do you do when a question asks you to calculate how many kb something is? You uses the formula and leave it as a fraction.

It good cause it saves time not having to work things out and shows you know what you're doing. Its a computer course and doesnt need you to know the maths, it just needs you to know HOW to do the maths ;)

Lorie

HSC
yeah the board of studies doesn't let you use calculators in IPT. It's kinda strange why they don't, but it does restrict the maths they can ask, which can either be taken as a good or bad thing depending on the person. I think ipt and sdd are the onlt subjects they don't let you use calculators.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
depends on the exam written
if there is a question that needs calculation then yes you need one, else you don't
the timetable of exams released by the board should have exam material requirements at the back

Gemstone

Yeah your not allowed calculators in the IPT exam. I've never come accross a question in an IPT paper that actually asked you to calculate anything. I've had a couple of one's where they asked how many kb's are used but they just ask for the working not the answer. They just want to know you know how to figure it out but I don't think they ask you to actually figure it out.

Melsc - Hex/Dec? That's not in the IPT course at all.

Gemma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)