Calculating ranks ! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how to calculate ranks themselves including weightings OR else know a program that can do it ??

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how to calculate ranks themselves including weightings OR else know a program that can do it ??

As each school and even subject/level within a subject has a different assessment schedule and therefore each one has a different set of weightings there wouldn't be a programme but they aren't hard to do.

Very simply convert each task mark to a mark out of its weighted mark, add up the weighted marks and then see which kid fits where and there you have the ranks. I do my own class/es by hand each year - took me about 30 minutes today to do it manually - no computer or calculator - basic primary school arithmetic really.

mark H

HSC
As each school and even subject/level within a subject has a different assessment schedule and therefore each one has a different set of weightings there wouldn't be a programme but they aren't hard to do.

Very simply convert each task mark to a mark out of its weighted mark, add up the weighted marks and then see which kid fits where and there you have the ranks. I do my own class/es by hand each year - took me about 30 minutes today to do it manually - no computer or calculator - basic primary school arithmetic really.
Exactly right but we're living in the 21st century USE A CALCULATOR

HSC
N/A
I'll do it post what you need
k these are there guys in my class i want to find first..
A- 71/82 15%
16/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

B- 69/82 15%
17/20 25%
16/20 25%
62/100 35%

C- 70/82 15%
19/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

the ranks between these guys.

tambam

HSC
A- 71/82 15%
16/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

B- 69/82 15%
17/20 25%
16/20 25%
62/100 35%

C- 70/82 15%
19/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

Mate, this is very very basic maths....
You type each score as a fraction and mulltiply it by however much percent its worth,then add it together to get a sccore out of 100

mark H

HSC
A- 71/82 15%
16/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

B- 69/82 15%
17/20 25%
16/20 25%
62/100 35%

C- 70/82 15%
19/20 25%
19/20 25%
52/100 35%

Student A is getting 74.94% -3rd

Student B is getting 75.57% - 2nd

Student C is getting 78.50% - 1st

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Exactly right but we're living in the 21st century USE A CALCULATOR

I do - it is called a 'brain'.

Sorry but it is something that I find so annoying with kids over the last 20 or so years - their insistence on using calculators for basic arithmetic rather than using their brains to do the basics.

Sure use a calculator for the harder stuff but really this sort of stuff is simply primary school arithmetic - we used to do it as a mental arithmetic activity before sitting down every morning - different times of course but also why us 'oldies' argue that standards have dropped when what we did as basic stuff in our heads todays kids need a machine to do.

fiesycal

HSC

Sorry but it is something that I find so annoying with kids over the last 20 or so years - their insistence on using calculators for basic arithmetic rather than using their brains to do the basics.

Sure use a calculator for the harder stuff but really this sort of stuff is simply primary school arithmetic - we used to do it as a mental arithmetic activity before sitting down every morning - different times of course but also why us 'oldies' argue that standards have dropped when what we did as basic stuff in our heads todays kids need a machine to do.
We used to tend to the fields with our hands too. Should we still do it that way?

tambam

HSC

Mate the fact that it takes you 30 minutes to do something manually that otherwise takes about 30 seconds with a calculator is the very reason why they shouls be used.
Its like saying why don't you get off the computer and instead of sending an email go walk to the receipients house and give them a hand written letter

enoilgam

HSC
Mate the fact that it takes you 30 minutes to do something manually that otherwise takes about 30 seconds with a calculator is the very reason why they shouls be used.
Its like saying why don't you get off the computer and instead of sending an email go walk to the receipients house and give them a hand written letter
Agreed. I tutor kids in 7-10 maths and I always tell them "when possible use a calculator, because it cant make stupid mistakes - but you can".

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
30 minutes for an entire class not per person.

It is basic arithmetic and using the brain to do basic calculations actually keeps it active - it has even been proven that older people who do mental arithmetic regularly reduce their chances of alzheimers.

To reduce heart disease and obesity it would be a better option.

Yes I do walk around the school to give messages rather than send emails - why - to get out of the staffroom and do some incidental exercise because it is good for me.

Different generations - different ideas as to what is good for a person - keeping both mentally and physically active is important to me - being computer literate is important to you.

fiesycal

HSC
30 minutes for an entire class not per person.

It is basic arithmetic and using the brain to do basic calculations actually keeps it active - it has even been proven that older people who do mental arithmetic regularly reduce their chances of alzheimers.

To reduce heart disease and obesity it would be a better option.

Yes I do walk around the school to give messages rather than send emails - why - to get out of the staffroom and do some incidental exercise because it is good for me.

Different generations - different ideas as to what is good for a person - keeping both mentally and physically active is important to me - being computer literate is important to you.

You say that like being mentally and physically active and being computer literate are two opposing concepts that can't be accomplished together. That 30 minutes per class could have been reduced by at least 20 minutes, more if you used a computer instead of a calculator (ie, excel). With that 20 minutes you could have accomplished some real exercise, such as running/jogging/power walking. Or if it's a 'keep mentally active day' you could have read a book, done some puzzles etc whatever you desire. So I don't understand how not using a calculator/computer is better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)