Cable versus ADSL2+? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hi,

I've had cable, and I cannot tell the difference in speed between ADSL2+ around 7.51 Mbps. (The uploading on speedtest.net takes for ever to initiate) and the cable net, will randomly drop to 1.51 Mbps then shoot up to 25 Mbps at times :/ is there something wrong with cable net?

My results on my cable net are as follows:

For speed tests, I usually get ~20 Mbps, but it does drop down to 13 and 1 Mbps.

For pin tests it randomly jumps down to an F grade and then it will be a B grade. :/

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
my ADSL2+ connection, seems as fast as my cable.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I don't know about you but mine seems fine

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I've noticed that my cable plan had a lot of jitter in the ping tests, maybe some interference down the line?

Mayazcherquoi

HSC
Cable = Incredibly stable, and (can be) fast in the downstream. However, it is a shared medium (it is not a direct line to the exchange like DSL/copper) so at peak times if your area is all on cable, you will experience slow speeds. Upstream speeds also suck on cable compared to ADSL2+. Unlike DSL lines, distance does not affect the speed.

Another downside of cable is that you can only use a select few modems/routers. Unlike ADSL which requires a username and password to connect, cable uses the MAC address of your router to identify. Optus (I think) only supports three (or four) modems/routers for a DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 connections, all which are pretty crap. Bigpond suffers from the same.

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
lol wtf, do they have some special federal connection to da internet or someshit? ...So it is possible in Australia : o
Nice to see you come out from under your rock, how many years have you been living under there? Think about it. How many people have the internet in australia, how many people are using it at one time and can get decent speeds, it adds up quickly.

HFC (cable) has DOCSIS3 and Telstra offers 100/2 mbit/s, I'm sure optus has similar offerings on their cable network. FTTH isn't new either, Telstra's offered it under Velocity for years (in greenfield developments) with 100/5 mbit/s.

Universities are connected to AARNet who have a very nice network - http://www.aarnet.edu.au/aarnet3.aspx Internode's network is very good as well http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/network/internode-international-network.pdf

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

2 tests done one after the other using my iPhone 4 on Vodafone's network as an internet modem

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
The reason you don't notice a difference between your ADSL and cable is that connections usually take a few seconds to warm up (find their optimal path) and reach their maximum speed.

A cold load of google is 205 Kilobytes, the HTML it self is only 16 kb.

One of my servers has a 10gbit connection to the internet,
Code:
harrisony@strontium:~$ wget http://proof.ovh.net/files/10Gio.dat -O /dev/null
--2012-02-06 07:56:15--  http://proof.ovh.net/files/10Gio.dat
Resolving proof.ovh.net... 188.165.12.106, 2001:41d0:2:876a::1
Connecting to proof.ovh.net|188.165.12.106|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 10737418240 (10G) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[===================================>] 10,737,418,240  497M/s   in 20s     

2012-02-06 07:56:35 (523 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [10737418240/10737418240]
The actual time spend transferring the html on my home internet connection is 0.04 seconds and on that server 0 seconds (its not giving me the exact value). The entire process time on my home internet connection is 1.446s compared to 0.646s, the delay is caused by the latency though (server: 4ms to google, home: 35ms)

When you will really notice the difference is concurrent connections or large files.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Nice to see you come out from under your rock, how many years have you been living under there? Think about it. How many people have the internet in australia, how many people are using it at one time and can get decent speeds, it adds up quickly.

HFC (cable) has DOCSIS3 and Telstra offers 100/2 mbit/s, I'm sure optus has similar offerings on their cable network. FTTH isn't new either, Telstra's offered it under Velocity for years (in greenfield developments) with 100/5 mbit/s.

Universities are connected to AARNet who have a very nice network - http://www.aarnet.edu.au/aarnet3.aspx Internode's network is very good as well http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/network/internode-international-network.pdf
So what you're saying is that normal households are connected to a downgraded version of the net? and if everyone had fast upload speeds like that, the net would halt to a crawl?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I didn't say it but to answer your question the reason normal households don't have super fast speeds is the cost of deploying a network that can handle those speeds (I'm talking about replacing the copper network with fiber, look at the cost of the NBN). The infrastructure is there to support those speeds.

VDSL2 can do 250mbit/s over copper although the speeds drop at an insane rate, 100mbit/s 500m away from the exchange and 50mbit 1km away (off the top of my head) that might work in the city but its not worth the money in the suburbs to upgrade the exchanges

edit: my point with the first line was to say that australia does have good internet

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
so AARNet is fiber optic? NBN is coming soon to all house holds within 8 years, but I think they paused the deployment for now, due to Australia's shit economy.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
all backbone networks would be sonet (fiber)/ethernet/atm depends where in the network you are looking

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
all backbone networks would be sonet (fiber)/ethernet/atm depends where in the network you are looking
Ethernet is a protocol, not a cable. Twisted pair cables is what they are called. but for the ethernet standard like 3 twisted pairs are filled into 1 cable to make a 6 pin ethernet connection.

I'm talking about Australia's residential network, urban sydney and outer regions. would it have fiber optic as the backbone?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Ethernet is a protocol, not a cable. Twisted pair cables is what they are called. but for the ethernet standard like 3 twisted pairs are filled into 1 cable to make a 6 pin ethernet connection.

I'm talking about Australia's residential network, urban sydney and outer regions. would it have fiber optic as the backbone?
Ethernet is also the laymans terminology for CAT series cabling.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

No. Ethernet is a technology. I can have ethernet over power or ethernet over infiniband or I can have the ethernet standard 1000BASE‑T
I'm using the correct terms for describing the technology used in backbone networks because you asked about AARNet and now you're talking about residential networks :/

Are you talking about connecting a home on the street to the exchange? or an exchange to the rest of the network?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)