CA Program - Ask questions, get answers! (new and improved) (2 Viewers)

Meshy590

HSC
thanks seremify,
Do you think attending these sorts of events would give you some sort of advantage in the selection process or not??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks seremify,
Do you think attending these sorts of events would give you some sort of advantage in the selection process or not??
I personally think so because it gives you both an opportunity to meet people in the business to help give you a better idea of what you are signing up for/to expect, as well as the recruiters. Both of these are definite plusses later on in the process.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Same! Can't believe it starts in a month...
I know eh! I'm a bit worried as to how I'll deal with studying after so long, and also now with the added load of full time work.

supersaiyanz10

HSC
N/A
Hey Seremify, I have just started MAA. Just wanted to ask, how did you prepare for the MAA exam ? Do you recommend just looking at the CLP and tabbing? Are the activities important to do in the CLP (they look very time consuming) ? Thanks a lot!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For me the trick with MAA exam was that the questions themselves aren't that hard, but how you lay out your answers and how you can prepare will dictate your performance. For example, there are only so many generic SMART KPI's and SWOTS, so as long as you have a list of standard KPI's and SWOTS which you can adapt to the scenario, you'll be set. Similarly for some of the calculation questions, the challenge is figuring out how to lay out your answers and what headings to use in your tables, etc... so if you look at enough practice questions and the answers you'll get a feel for it. Finally, learning the formula and calculations never hurts.

Tabbing probably won't help (that) much because the questions aren't going to be "Is this a Porter's model?" but rather, it'll be come up with the respective model relevant to the facts/scenario and adapt it. Past papers are a very good indicator of this.

ps. Try to prepare well for MAA because EBA is pretty much MAA all over again.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
So anyway, I got my first focus session on the 2nd of July. So in preparation should you just read the CLP and rock up or is there other stuff you have to do? (Sorry, been busy/slack and haven't looked at anything CA related properly yet, but will do sometime this weekend)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So anyway, I got my first focus session on the 2nd of July. So in preparation should you just read the CLP and rock up or is there other stuff you have to do? (Sorry, been busy/slack and haven't looked at anything CA related properly yet, but will do sometime this weekend)
In theory you are meant to read the CLP + attempt all the activities beforehand. You can also obtain the solutions to the activities (not covered in the focus session) off the ICAA website. Basically the ones which aren't included in the pre-focus session solutions are the questions they'll be going through in the focus session.

oisac

HSC
If l wanted to be an accountant is it best to do bcomm major in accounting /finance or do bcomm-prof. accounting. Also what exactly is chartered accountants?

Thanks in advance.

converge

HSC
N/A
If l wanted to be an accountant is it best to do bcomm major in accounting /finance or do bcomm-prof. accounting. Also what exactly is chartered accountants?

Thanks in advance.
From the degrees you have named, I presume you are referring to Macquarie University? In that case, I would recommend you do BCom - Prof Accting simply because that degree is accredited by CA.

As for what a chartered accountant is, I'll leave that to someone more qualified on this forum :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As for what a chartered accountant is, I'll leave that to someone more qualified on this forum :)
LOL I was trying to avoid answering this as it could pose a conflict of interest :)

In short it's a post-graduate qualification which has been recognised by the industry and is administered/run by the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia. There are respective/corresponding authorities in other countries. Basically you need this if you want to get a professional accounting role (as opposed to either a book keeper or graduate accounting position).

Per Wikipedia;
Chartered Accountants were the first accountants to form a professional body, initially established in Britain in 1854. The Edinburgh Society of Accountants (formed 1854), the Glasgow Institute of Accountants and Actuaries (1854) and the Aberdeen Society of Accountants (1867) were each granted a royal charter almost from their inception.[1] The title is an internationally recognised professional designation.[2]

Chartered Accountants work in all fields of business and finance, including audit, taxation, financial and general management. Some are engaged in public practice work, others work in the private sector and some are employed by government bodies.[3][4][5]

Chartered Accountants Institutes require members to undertake a minimum level of continuing professional development to stay professionally competitive. They facilitate special interest groups - lead academic and professional thinking in accountancy. They provide support to members by offering advisory services, technical helplines and technical libraries. They offer opportunities for professional networking and career and business development.[6]

In the United States the approximate equivalent is the Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_Accountant

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
In theory you are meant to read the CLP + attempt all the activities beforehand. You can also obtain the solutions to the activities (not covered in the focus session) off the ICAA website. Basically the ones which aren't included in the pre-focus session solutions are the questions they'll be going through in the focus session.
Oh right, so far looked at the first 10 or so pages of the CLP for MAA before falling asleep last night (So hard to focus after 7 months of absolutely no studying!)

Do most people end up doing all the work before the focus session?

Also I see there's like 10% allocate for Focus Sessions, how does one attain that? Is that actually contributing in the classes themselves?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh right, so far looked at the first 10 or so pages of the CLP for MAA before falling asleep last night (So hard to focus after 7 months of absolutely no studying!)

Do most people end up doing all the work before the focus session?

Also I see there's like 10% allocate for Focus Sessions, how does one attain that? Is that actually contributing in the classes themselves?
Apparently each group has to present on a topic allocated to them in the FS. There should be info in the guidance/introduction to CA or at the start of the CLP. This was introduced after I finished all my technical modules so can't really comment but I heard people do get pretty well prepared for it as they are being assessed. Focus sessions are no longer a 'sit there and be quiet' thing anymore- you need to speak up to get marks.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently each group has to present on a topic allocated to them in the FS. There should be info in the guidance/introduction to CA or at the start of the CLP. This was introduced after I finished all my technical modules so can't really comment but I heard people do get pretty well prepared for it as they are being assessed. Focus sessions are no longer a 'sit there and be quiet' thing anymore- you need to speak up to get marks.
Oh lame, looks like I'll have to do a fair bit this weekend :(

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Had my first FS this Monday, I didn't manage to get all the work done in preparation so I ended up photocopying a colleagues answers, then in the FS I had to faciliate.. did a pretty good job improvising since I had not much knowledge of what was going on!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol way to wing it :) if its anything like when i did it, focus session solutions don't change substantially between years but you need to read it carefully before rolling it forward.

converge

HSC
N/A
Can anyone tell me what skilled migration is? It is mentioned on the Accredited Tertiary Courses Listing from the chartered accountants.

Many thanks

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
I want to do CA, what subjects and atar do I need?

I do:

Maths (4 unit)
Phys
CHem
English

and which uni is the best fro CA?
and what is the duration of the course?
thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I want to do CA, what subjects and atar do I need?

I do:

Maths (4 unit)
Phys
CHem
English

and which uni is the best fro CA?

thanks
To become a CA you need to complete the technical program and have sufficient relevant work experience. To enrol in the technical program you need to have completed the prerequisite studies such as an undergraduate degree which is recognised by the Institute (e.g. B Commerce at UNSW majoring in Accounting). Have a look at http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/Students

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
To become a CA you need to complete the technical program and have sufficient relevant work experience. To enrol in the technical program you need to have completed the prerequisite studies such as an undergraduate degree which is recognised by the Institute (e.g. B Commerce at UNSW majoring in Accounting). Have a look at http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/Students
But how do I start? What do I do after HSC??
I don't do business subjects, they don't take science students :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)