By studying every day does it mean reading over what you did in class that day? (1 Viewer)

Renegader

HSC
This is going to be my first year studying every day except the weekends (or would you guys recommend studying on an ordinary weekend when there's no upcoming tests?) and I've been thinking, by studying every day do you just read over and make sure you understand everything you did in class that day especially with maths? I don't understand how doing this every night could take something like 2-3 hours if you study consistently every day. Perhaps an hour of study each night is enough unless you've started studying each night in the middle of the year?

I'm talking about ordinary nights where there are no tests, for example for the first few weeks of school. What else would you guys do to extend study time? Research on potential things you could be doing in your next lesson to gain some kind of advantage? I've heard that if you do that it will be easier to retain information since information your mind already knows is just being 'refreshed' as opposed to hearing it for the first time.

Year 11 Preliminary Subjects 2012

Ancient History
General Mathematics
Advanced English + Extension English
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
Studying includes doing your homework (counts revising and reinforcing knowledge). Yes, reading over what you did in class is good, better yet, make syllabus dot point notes for your science subjects.

For maths, simply reading over your notes is not enough. Doing questions and applying your knowledge is the only way you can get better at math and is especially important in the beginning of year 11 as you really want solid algebra skills.

MiseryParade

HSC
I'm looking forward to seeing answers to your question too @OP, especially as I'm having similar troubles myself about how to prepare myself adequately for the fast approaching preliminary year.

Personally, I'm planning to both read ahead and look over everything I'd covered that day so that I've familiarised myself with the content and can recall it almost instantly, instead of having to look for notes to answer questions on it. As well as that, I'll most likely make notes that correspond directly to the syllabus dot points for all of my science related subjects, and possibly economics so that I've got a succinct, well thought out summary of anything that requires in depth studying. Nothing too grand has been envisioned by yours truly, since I'm too much of a lazy pragmatist who realises massive plannings on paper don't necessarily translate to being effective in real life.

On a completely different note: oh god Year 11 tomorrow! ):

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What I can imagine happening to most students:

1st Day: omg Year 11 I'm a senior now! I haz free periods. I'm going to make notes immediately

2nd Day: Making notes isn't so bad. I will study very hard.

3rd Day: Making notes is getting kinda tedious, it's so easy....

4th Day: I don't think I'll waste time writing notes, I'll just read the textbook and maybe practise a few questions.

5th Day: Hmm... I'll read today's work tomorrow, I studied hard beforehand already.

6th Day: *Playing 'dota' or 'lol' or whatnot*

7th Day: I'll just cram before exams.

Exam Day: I should have studied harder... Next term will be different.

Happens to all of us.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I'm looking forward to seeing answers to your question too @OP, especially as I'm having similar troubles myself about how to prepare myself adequately for the fast approaching preliminary year.

Personally, I'm planning to both read ahead and look over everything I'd covered that day so that I've familiarised myself with the content and can recall it almost instantly, instead of having to look for notes to answer questions on it. As well as that, I'll most likely make notes that correspond directly to the syllabus dot points for all of my science related subjects, and possibly economics so that I've got a succinct, well thought out summary of anything that requires in depth studying. Nothing too grand has been envisioned by yours truly, since I'm too much of a lazy pragmatist who realises massive planning on paper don't necessarily translate to being effective in real life.

On a completely different note: oh god Year 11 tomorrow! ):
it should be more like : yay! year 11, oh god year 12 for us 2012ers. haha , just kidding. sah excited.

it is always good to get ahead of class, which is what i always did in year 11. always. it's hard to imagine how you will set out your study timetable before you've actually had any classes, but once you'll settle in however many hours you will need to dedicate will become much clearer.

how long you spend on each subject daily/weekly depends on how much you may be struggling. i went a bit insane and almost finished the year 11 cambridge. if you're not struggling, then good for you, go on to do past paper questions on whatever you're studying so that you are fully prepared for your exams.

all in all, it's finding out what works right for you. make all the mistakes you need to make so that when you get to year 12, you wont stress x 100 and die.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
i went a bit insane and almost finished the year 11 cambridge.
I've finished the year 11 and 12 Cambridge.... should I be in a mental instution then or something?

OT: I'm going to try set out my work like this:

1) Notes I have from class.

2) When I get home, summarise notes in respect to syllabus dot point straight underneath class notes.

3) As a footnote or conclusion thing, write a small red box that has some extra-curricular information not directly related to the syllabus.

Not sure if I'll follow through, we'll see I guess.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've finished the year 11 and 12 Cambridge.... should I be in a mental instution then or something?
For somebody in Prelim this year, that is very impressive.

Did you do all the extension questions?

Unrelated: Awesome tennis match.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
For somebody in Prelim this year, that is very impressive.

Did you do all the extension questions?

Unrelated: Awesome tennis match.
I didn't do all the extension questions, I did everything up to the extension questions and then attempted them. Some I could do, some I couldn't.

Took a solid 3 or 4 hours of maths each day in the holidays and about an hour a day back in the second half of year 10 to get through it all though lol.

Bear in mind I still didn't waste my holidays as I did the maths late at night, ie 10pm - 2am.

Lina3

HSC
In regards to study: not much to say but.... he topic of the thread is the EXACT question I had. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread for the time being :)

delian

HSC
N/A
I guess you can cram for many subjects, but Maths is definitely not one of them.

doug003

HSC
I didn't do all the extension questions, I did everything up to the extension questions and then attempted them. Some I could do, some I couldn't.

Took a solid 3 or 4 hours of maths each day in the holidays and about an hour a day back in the second half of year 10 to get through it all though lol.

Bear in mind I still didn't waste my holidays as I did the maths late at night, ie 10pm - 2am.
Wish i was you right now.

animerocker

HSC
What you should be doing during your study is by doing homework --> purpose is to review what you did in that lesson
review your past work by doing more questions and afterwards if you have time you should read the next dot point or 10 or so pages in each subject to get a very brief headstart hence understanding the topic would be much easier to understand when your teacher explains it and everyone else would be dumbfounded

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
What I can imagine happening to most students:

1st Day: omg Year 11 I'm a senior now! I haz free periods. I'm going to make notes immediately

2nd Day: Making notes isn't so bad. I will study very hard.

3rd Day: Making notes is getting kinda tedious, it's so easy....

4th Day: I don't think I'll waste time writing notes, I'll just read the textbook and maybe practise a few questions.

5th Day: Hmm... I'll read today's work tomorrow, I studied hard beforehand already.

6th Day: *Playing 'dota' or 'lol' or whatnot*

7th Day: I'll just cram before exams.

Exam Day: I should have studied harder... Next term will be different.

Happens to all of us.
Win

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)