Buying a drum kit!! (1 Viewer)

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
Hey I've been having drum lessons and like it so much that I'm gonna get a drum kit for my 18th bday! :D I'm looking for a good second hand kit, and I've heard prices are around the $300-$500 range for a decent kit. Any drummers out there care to share any hints/tips on prices and/or what to look for? thanks!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
300-500 is a good price for starters. someone else correct me if im wrong but you can score a 5 pc with at least a ride for that price right? make sure the hardware isnt dodgy because you'll regret it later.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
for that price you'll get basically a no name brand kit, with no name cymbals and hardware.

probably worth kicking yr budget up a bit, i think pearl exports go for around $800? and the quality is waaay better, espesh with the hardware/stands etc.

have a look around 2nd hand, there'd probably be lots of unwanted/unused christmas presents hitting the market.

HSC
For that price I'd say you should be able to get a decent quality second hand kit like you're after. If you're comparing different sorts of gear looking around on the net, in particular places like www.musicianforums.com will let you see what other people have had to say about it. My main advice would be to just read up on the gear as much as you can, and if possible try it out in music shops and stuff before buying so that you have a pretty good idea of what you're in for (Though a second hand kit will differ a bit in quality from new, if it's been well looked after you should be able to get a reasonable idea of what to expect).

At the same time though, keep in mind that a lot of places around the net are populated by people with seemingly bottomless pockets. I've got a fairly modest drum kit and love it like the child I never had, despite the fact that a lot of places around the net say that it's junk. People expressing their "Professional opinion" tend to be fairly harsh on low-end student kits, etc, but like I said, unless you're up for some serious spending it's more than good enough to start with :)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Dude u lookin for a drumkit, there is nowhere better than billy hydes drumcraft in Surry Hills...personally i would ever recommend getting a brand spanker from there...you can score yourself a really decent one for less than $1000...cymabls and all. Yet if your still really keen for a 2nd hand, hydes have plenty of stuff there as well. Deadset, nowhere better than hydes, they got u covered. Also, im thinkin of sellin my kit, but i dont know if ur interested in spending about $2500. lol.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
yea billy hydes would be the place to go now that drum city has closed down.

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
yeah um I think $2500 is a bit much for my first kit haha but thanks anyway. I appreciate all the advice guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)