LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
i just like to mention the 4th edn of Brown et alhttp://www.federationpress.com.au/bookstore/book.asp?isbn=1862875960 has been published. same size paper, but 200 pages has been cut; the paper quality is slightly thicker; and there are more headings. lovely. :p

$112 at uni bookshopshttp://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/bookweb/details?ITEMNO=9781862875968 and $100 at lawbookshttp://www.lawbooks.com.au/store/lawbooks.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=132320.
Still has a dodgy cover!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Still has a dodgy cover!
Not as bad as the last edition's. I'm using this one this session - it was great having a prescribed text that wasn't released until four weeks had already passed. We had to use online PDF page proofs instead.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Still has a dodgy cover!
Its not what is outside that counts!

Melc: I think you will find that most of the law schools do criminal procedure as individual subject and not as a part of criminal law. As such I don't think many law schools use that book. Only a few laws decide to do criminal law and criminal procedure at the same time.

For example at newsouth we do Civil and criminal procedure in Lit 1 and lit 2.

santaslayer

HSC
wheredanton said:
Its not what is outside that counts!

Melc: I think you will find that most of the law schools do criminal procedure as individual subject and not as a part of criminal law. As such I don't think many law schools use that book. Only a few laws decide to do criminal law and criminal procedure at the same time.

For example at newsouth we do Civil and criminal procedure in Lit 1 and lit 2.
We do something called Advocacy Skills which outlines fairly briefly about court procedure. That subject also includes a Plea of Mitigation and a No Bill/No Evidence claim to the DPP we have to do ourselves. Sort of random workshops that go for 6 weeks or so. Practical and interesting. But random.

I have no idea if we do court procedure as such as an entire subject. I haven't done enough law subjects to know.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
We do something called Advocacy Skills which outlines fairly briefly about court procedure. That subject also includes a Plea of Mitigation and a No Bill/No Evidence claim to the DPP we have to do ourselves. Sort of random workshops that go for 6 weeks or so. Practical and interesting. But random.

I have no idea if we do court procedure as such as an entire subject. I haven't done enough law subjects to know.
As far as I know it's covered in 'Remedies and Procedure', although I don't do it until next year.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
No we don't do criminal procedure as a core subject (or litigation for that matter), its a part of advanced legal skills which is an elective but compulsory if you want to complete the PLT at UOW.

PS I saw a girl in the unishop buying the new criminal laws today and had to wonder to myself where half the book went...

EDIT: Im doing Remedies right now, Ive looked at the subject outline but it doesn't really seem to be explicit as to what sort of procedure is focused on

I only have like 6 law subjects to go (after this semester) how excited am I?!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MiuMiu said:
No we don't do criminal procedure as a core subject (or litigation for that matter), its a part of advanced legal skills which is an elective but compulsory if you want to complete the PLT at UOW.

PS I saw a girl in the unishop buying the new criminal laws today and had to wonder to myself where half the book went...
Ours is similar I think, you do the practical and procedural stuff in the skills subjects which count to PLT.

Didn't they split that book into two volumes again?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MiuMiu said:
I noticed. It's about half the size.

Still, I didn't think the orange one was bad, but I had a good teacher.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
I noticed. It's about half the size.

Still, I didn't think the orange one was bad, but I had a good teacher.
It was ORANGE. The title cascaded down the page diagonally. LIME GREEN. Way to ruin an otherwise shmick looking shelf of law books, Brown et al.

But yes, the material inside was good.

santaslayer

HSC
MiuMiu said:

EDIT: Im doing Remedies right now, Ive looked at the subject outline but it doesn't really seem to be explicit as to what sort of procedure is focused on

I only have like 6 law subjects to go (after this semester) how excited am I?!
That's actually quite good. Saves people who don't want to practice law from having anything to do with court/litigation stuff.

On another note, rumour has it that a certain university (NOT UoW) is thinking of scrapping the PLT altogether. Money issues. Or something. Not sure of the validity though.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
That's actually quite good. Saves people who don't want to practice law from having anything to do with court/litigation stuff.
But I think any law school should presume that it is training people who want to practice law.

Isn't litigation/civil and criminal procedure a compulsorysubject in all Australian law schools?

santaslayer

HSC
Not in this day and age. You can do just about anything with a law degree. Practicing law should not be an expected end result. I think universities should keep this in mind when setting out law degrees.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I actually looked at my 'Remedies and Procedure' subject outline (haha its week 4 and I hadn't looked at the teaching programme before this) and the first half of the course covers all the different types of remedies (which I can tell you is possibly more boring and dry than constitutional law!) and the second half covers procedure which seems to include:
originating process, parties, affidavits, causes of actions, applications for interlocutory orders, service and objecting to service, pleading, cross claims, summary disposal and default procedures, and discovery, inspection & interrogatories.

So Im assuming that would cover criminal procedure right there.

I was thinking more to the practical side of things when I was talking about Advanced Legal Skills

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
Not in this day and age. You can do just about anything with a law degree. Practicing law should not be an expected end result. I think universities should keep this in mind when setting out law degrees.
When a university awards a law degree they should award the degree on the basis that the people who receive that law degree have the basic skills in order to be a lawyer. It wouldn't be very good if everyone out there presumed that the law degree didn't give you the skills to be a lawyer but rather some broad brush legal education aimed not at making you a lawyer.

If a law school made their courses under the presumption that the students will not practice law you might as well call yourself the department of legal studies and attach yourself to the faculty of arts.

MiuMiu said:
Yeah I actually looked at my 'Remedies and Procedure' subject outline (haha its week 4 and I hadn't looked at the teaching programme before this) and the first half of the course covers all the different types of remedies (which I can tell you is possibly more boring and dry than constitutional law!) and the second half covers procedure which seems to include:
originating process, parties, affidavits, causes of actions, applications for interlocutory orders, service and objecting to service, pleading, cross claims, summary disposal and default procedures, and discovery, inspection & interrogatories.
I think that would be it right there!

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I actually disagree with that.

I think law schools should teach to the expectation that everyone is going to practice.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MiuMiu said:
I think law schools should teach to the expectation that everyone is going to practice.
Isnt that what I said? :\

or were you talking to santa?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)