• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Business Studies vs Economics (if you had to pick one) (1 Viewer)

Which One?

• Business Studies

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Economics

Votes: 56 61.5%

• Total voters

Supaweak

HSC
Hi there I've already kind of picked my subjects and all and I went for economics instead of business I'm sorta having second thoughts now but I'm still happy with eco, just wanted to ask people here with experience, if you had a choice between Business Studies or Economics which would you pick and why? please answer if you've done them both before.

Thanks for reading!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Come on guys. Business Studies FTW and Economics FTL.

1 vs 1 so far.

EDIT: 2 vs 1 and Business Studies is winning!!!

Shnurs

HSC
Honestly, its up to preferances.

Economics is like the extension of Business Studies in that it is harder, more analytyical and scales higher (in my opinion). However, at time economics can be frustrating and difficult to understand and is quite demanding all round.

Business studies on the other hand requires more responsive and creative thought and envolves a lot of business reports, kind of like how English has a lot of essays.

Im about to go into year 12 and im thinking about dropping one of them and i really cant decide.... economics is harder but probably more rewarding whereas business studies is quite easy and a little boring at times.

I dunno, up to you, hope this helped.:karate:

jazzbaby

HSC
i did both
but ending up changin eco coz it was sooooo boring

i love business.

HSC
kaz1 said:
Business Studies is Economics for Dummies.
Apart from the fifth topic of year 12 business, the two subjects are quite distinctive. So "economics for dummies" is a shallow observation. Unsurprising, since you don't even do business studies.

Shnurs said:
Business studies on the other hand requires more responsive and creative thought and envolves a lot of business reports, kind of like how English has a lot of essays.
Business studies is not very creative, most is simply verbatim recitation of syllabus points or textbook knowledge. However yes it is a little more creative in reports where you need to analyse marketing for example.

I personally prefer economics, because I knew most of business studies already (commerce in 9/10 and dad always talks about business stuff), and economics is far more intuitive and concept-based so I've found it requires virtually no study (obviously you need to know definitions and the first year 12 topic is wordy content-based but the other three are good).

You'll find out next year whether economics is for you.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I did both. I prefered business by a long shot.
Same here. I <3 Business.

Although Economics is arduous at times, it can be well worth it. Yet Business is comparatively easier... @OP: are you able to do both?

You have to put a shitload of effort into Economics if you're say, not naturally good at it whereas Business is simpler and less complex.

I don't entirely regret choosing both but if like you I had to choose, i'd choose Business Studies any day despite Economics being very useful.

I reckon i've just confused you even more, my bad. Continue to read through the course descriptions and analyse which subject you'd personally get more from.

L

lsam

I did Economic last year and I am doing Business Studies. And I am going to say that Business Studies bores me to death.

Genshin

HSC
I am doing both and topping both - i love economics and despise business but I think that might be a teacher issue rather than a subject matter issue - business is shit easy tho I agree XD

Eco is easy too if you understand the basics XD they complement each other very well eco is like an extension XD

glhf!

Supaweak

HSC
wow has my perception changed i read before that economics was more interesting/easier than business lol, but anyways thanks for replying guys i hope i picked the right one (for me)

and @ kirsty our school has this way of picking subjects where they tally up what everyone wants and then they give you a sheet where you pick the available subjects in the available slots. So far our our school has only submitted the subjects we wanted not the subjects we actually get to pick from yet, so if no ones doing eco hopefuly i can do business.

freaksoutalot

HSC
i do business accellerated and economics prelimary, so in doing both id say DO BOTH if you can, theyre really awesome subjects, like if ur interested in one you'll be interested in the other.

katerebecca

HSC
Id say neither are at all stimulating. But ecos rates higher right? All about the UAI.. :uhhuh:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Maybe the OP could be a little more specific as to what their interests/career ambitions/future study plans are? Are you interested in running your own business? The preparation of financial statements and some general accounting/sales type theory or are you more interested in the economy as a whole? This may be hard to answer, in fact, at the end of year 10 I couldn't really say that i knew what the economy even was!

If your unsure, economics probably is a little more diverse and challenging then BS. It is the study of choice essentially, how economic agents (such as individuals/firms or gov.) allocate their limited resources in order to maximise their economic wellbeing. It encumbers everything and is really a foundational study of understanding what happens in this world from politics to marketing and financal markets. Things you will look at are microeconomics ie structure of certain types of markets, nature of demand and supply, price elasticites and general theoretical models and then also macroeconomics concentrating on certain issues like unemployment, the causes and effects of economic growth, exchange rates and international trade along with inflation and the various types of economic policy tools employed by the gov and our central bank.

I did eco and absolutely loved it, finding it a huge advantage and now study it at university. Having said that, i also study accounting and if i would of had done BS in high school it may have given me a slight edge at the beginning of uni.

up to u anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)