Business and economics thread - textbooks, discuss etc? (1 Viewer)

zb123

HSC
just wondering if anyone wants to start discussing business studies and economics (preferably if you're going for 95+/state rank)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hell to the yeh! Finally a break from these science nerds. What are you intending on doing in uni?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
It would be nice to see some new upcoming students revive the current Business Studies and Economics sub-forums. Ever since the long down-time last year, they've begun to stagnate.

I will look forward to helping some of you guys in both subjects.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in Year 10 this year but I plan to do both Business Studies and Economics in Year 11 and 12 ;D
Economics Textbooks - I heard Riley and Dixon are the best ones?
Business Studies Textbooks - Cambridge?
Any textbooks suggestions?

zb123

HSC
hey, im going for a com law degree at usyd, and yesss, i hate science! eco text book, my school uses Doxon's, and i will use Riley's as it goes in more depth. And what marks do u rekon we will need for a state ranking for both subjects?
And what case studies you guys planning to do for business? Car industry/coca cola/billabong?

thorax94

HSC
The school will want you to buy either dixon or riley textbook. Well mine did so I bought a excel economics study guide to compliment it. I don't do business so I can't help you there. What is/ how do you get a state rank?

zb123

HSC
state rank simply is top 20 in the state... I know that in recent years for economics 97+ usually is a state rank, so that is possible regarding no careless mistakes in short answers, and a 19 in mc. and for eco, is anyone gonna get a suscription to the economist. I know it doesn't relate to only Aus economy, but u can relate theory to it. I am going to get it $275...

thorax94

HSC
Wow top 20? Well I got a distinction in the economics competition hahaha. Gotta work harder to get that state rank. I think I'm going to sign up for the Financial Review for my current issues/theory thing

zb123

HSC
yeah updated economics/bulmers is good, along with the economist/afr

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
state rank simply is top 20 in the state... I know that in recent years for economics 97+ usually is a state rank, so that is possible regarding no careless mistakes in short answers, and a 19 in mc. and for eco, is anyone gonna get a suscription to the economist. I know it doesn't relate to only Aus economy, but u can relate theory to it. I am going to get it $275...
I subscribed to the Economist back in Year 12 and I continue to do so. For a school student though, I honestly don't think much of the content would be relevant as the news magazine also has a strong focus on politics so you would have to weed out a lot of things to get content related to business and economics. That being said, it would be a great source for examples to use in Business studies and similarly, it would be very useful for the 'Global Economy' topic in Economics. The 'Economics Focus' section is also a great resource for explaining economic theory in more practical terms.

Perhaps you could compromise and subscribe to the digital version? Nonetheless, I would highly recommend it. I can't get enough of The Economist.

zb123

HSC
what's a good business textbook?
cambridge is the major bs one... But also look at boredofstudies resources, and to the topics marketing, financial planning and marketing, and employment relations as there are good notes.

emamab

HSC
N/A
Just a question, Are there any textbooks (except from cambridge) that are published for the NEW 2012 business studies syllabus?

RishBonjour

HSC
How competitive is economics?
i love it, so far I'm doing pretty well (1st), but just realised many of the people here are full subscribing to magazines and ordering the latest text books :L
is that absolutely necessary to get over 95?
to have a really broad knowledge ?

findx

HSC
Just a question, Are there any textbooks (except from cambridge) that are published for the NEW 2012 business studies syllabus?
Business Studies in Action HSC 4th edition

Last edited:

interesting

HSC
N/A
what? is the syllabus changing for 2012 business? does that mean the notes from 2011 are irrelevant? o-o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)