Budding entrepreneurs... any in here? (1 Viewer)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Just curious if there is anyone in here that either currently is a young entrepreneur or plans to become an entrepreneur sometime in the near future?

See I definitely don't want to follow the traditional route of uni >> job

To me as a young person, a job should be a last resort... there are too many disadvantages in having a job opposed to running a business. The only time I will ever see myself in a job is if I need the money to live off or if I need to build up startup capital... and also if I want to get some first-hand experience in an industry I plan to launch a business in.

So uni is still an uncertain thing for me even though I'm going into my second year. I don't really feel a commerce/business degree will give me much useful knowledge for the game of entrepreneurship. I would much rather be out there now and getting into the thick of business... success or failure, it doesn't matter as I'd be getting more experience and knowledge than any textbook or course could teach.

I've been running businesses (a registered computer biz) since roughly the start of year 11 and been messing with all sorts of other web-based ideas since then. Haven't really hit anything big yet, but I'm learning a lot. And what I'm hoping/planning is to have one or more successful businesses turning a good profit by the time I finish my degree. So I can then go straight into being a full-time entrepreneur.

... that's about it, just interested to see if there are any others on this board with similar interests etc. Young entrepreneurs are often hard to find, particularly in Australia with the massive prejudice people place on YEs.

cheers
nathan

freakonomics101

HSC
Yeah i'd love to spend my life as an entrepreneur. I've always liked the idea of not earning a living through employment like the vast majority of people. The only problem i've had is coming up with an area i could start a business in. It would have to be something i am interested in and passionate about or i wouldnt be motivated. I'd love to be able to go staight from uni and into business for myself but realistically i will end up in the workforce for hopefully no more than a few years. I've also found it rare for young people to aspire to be an entrepreneur so its nice to know someone has similar goals to me.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I think its rather short-sighted to "plan to be an entreprenuer"

Personally I'm letting various ideas boil and when I have a brilliant idea/opportunity I'll quit my job and pursue it!

However I ran a button badge company in year 12 for YAA.. lol... I'm still getting random orders via email so I guess that counts as being an entreprenuer :p

Actually I'm thinking of expanding... Into a wider variety of custom products... hmmm

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Vagabond said:
I think its rather short-sighted to "plan to be an entreprenuer"
Not really. What I mean by that is just keep at it. Start a new venture, pursue it as much as possible. If it succeeds, good work, if it doesn't then learn from your mistakes and move on (a fundamental way of thinking that separates those with entrepreneurial qualities and those without).

You will very, very rarely ever just have a good idea, launch it and suddenly be a big success with loads of cash pouring in. In fact I have over 1000 pages of written business ideas (probably well over 50, but only a few really good ones)... but it's not the idea that counts, it's the way you execute it. Your first couple of startups will probably fail, but that's just all part of the process.

Becoming an entrepreneur takes time :)

ScottyTee

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
Just curious if there is anyone in here that either currently is a young entrepreneur or plans to become an entrepreneur sometime in the near future?

See I definitely don't want to follow the traditional route of uni >> job

To me as a young person, a job should be a last resort... there are too many disadvantages in having a job opposed to running a business. The only time I will ever see myself in a job is if I need the money to live off or if I need to build up startup capital... and also if I want to get some first-hand experience in an industry I plan to launch a business in.

So uni is still an uncertain thing for me even though I'm going into my second year. I don't really feel a commerce/business degree will give me much useful knowledge for the game of entrepreneurship. I would much rather be out there now and getting into the thick of business... success or failure, it doesn't matter as I'd be getting more experience and knowledge than any textbook or course could teach.

I've been running businesses (a registered computer biz) since roughly the start of year 11 and been messing with all sorts of other web-based ideas since then. Haven't really hit anything big yet, but I'm learning a lot. And what I'm hoping/planning is to have one or more successful businesses turning a good profit by the time I finish my degree. So I can then go straight into being a full-time entrepreneur.

... that's about it, just interested to see if there are any others on this board with similar interests etc. Young entrepreneurs are often hard to find, particularly in Australia with the massive prejudice people place on YEs.

cheers
nathan
Well you already know me ;)

ScottyTee

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
Haha, you lurk these forums too hey Scott :D
haha, yeah here and there... got it my membership for the premium notes mostly... as you can see from my post count. Good to see you again, I see you here and there on different sites, mostly commenting on stories on Digg :) We will have to catch up soon.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Yep I've definitely caught the Digg bugg, can't stay off the site. Though I've gotta get back into the YE and YGG forums... been doing too much procrastinating lately.

ScottyTee

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
Yep I've definitely caught the Digg bugg, can't stay off the site. Though I've gotta get back into the YE and YGG forums... been doing too much procrastinating lately.
I have a project you may be interested in, get in touch some how... you have msn? I think I have you on my contact list. Cheers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha for some reason... I also thought of "YAA" when I first read this thread.

I don't think I could do it (ie. being an entrepreneur) as I simply don't have any ideas which I feel are worthy of being introduced into the marketplace besides what's already there, and the only thing I can think of, is way over my head (for now).

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
ScottyTee said:
I have a project you may be interested in, get in touch some how... you have msn? I think I have you on my contact list. Cheers.
Yep, it's in my profile here I think

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Austech represent, y'all.

I don't have the confidence at the moment, or the skills to launch a new business idea. Whilst I have had numerous ideas for new products and innovative businesses, I wouldn't know where to start, nor would I have the finances to launch anything.

I do, however, have the skills to market a product or business with someone else's start-up capital. Thus, I don't have a problem with working for someone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)