BSc in 2yrs instead of 3yrs (1 Viewer)

Roguedeth

HSC
3rd year courses usually have a pre req of 2nd year courses and if it's not a pre req it will be assumed knowledge. The amount of shit you would have to remember would be crazy if you were to super overload.

The pracs you have in a science degree and the assignements you would have to do would mean absolutely no social life it would be go to uni study sleep get up and repeat.

Also think of your exam timetable. exam, exam, day off, exam, exam ,exam ,day off ,exam exam.

My advice is to do it in 3 years HD everything while having a social life.

loul

HSC
ooh, OP i am also considering this.

But i'm confused, wouldn't a 2 year bachelor science degree have the same workload as a double degree (science + something) in four years?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
in a combined degree, they take out some units of study, which is why you can fit in majors from another faculty.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also keep in mind that many faculties dont allow overloading in first year.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Gotta love narrow minded first years and their stupid ideas.

Good luck doing a 3 yr degree in 2 unless you have done all the olympiads so you can skip first year altogether. Highly doubtful.

jaimebien

HSC
Exactly. It kills me whenever any student thinks accelerating is going to save them time. You're not going to get more out of life by "saving" a year. You're losing more from life.

Also, looks like social life doesn't matter much to the OP, which is fine, but that argument doesn't seem to be working with him. So, the best reason not to overload is that you want the best grades that you can get for getting into medicine. If you overload, you won't be able to get the maximum study and research time you can get as opposed to a student with the normal amount of units. You'll be severely disadvantaging yourself.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you for that info. It's not about being in a rush. I really want to do med, so I want a short-cutted degree -> GAMSAT -> med. It'll prepare me for the intensity of med as well.
I can see why you want to finish your Science degree ASAP and I completely get that.

It is entirely possible to accelerate and complete your degree in 2.5 years (may be even 2) by overloading 1-2 subjects per semester. You will need approval from the Dean of the Faculty of Science and you must obtain good marks after every semester - there is no point in you just passing or getting a credit average because you won't be competitive enough for med anyway.

There is no chance you will be able to complete your BSc in 1 year.

Good luck!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I can see why you want to finish your Science degree ASAP and I completely get that.

It is entirely possible to accelerate and complete your degree in 2.5 years (may be even 2) by overloading 1-2 subjects per semester. You will need approval from the Dean of the Faculty of Science and you must obtain good marks after every semester - there is no point in you just passing or getting a credit average because you won't be competitive enough for med anyway.

There is no chance you will be able to complete your BSc in 1 year.

Good luck!
He never mentioned anything about 1 year though? :/

All in all, I think it's pretty naive to look to complete a degree in 2 years, whilst still getting the HD average for med, when many struggle to achieve this over 3 years.

I'd be interested to know if any past Australia university student has successfully completed a 3yr degree in 2 years whilst maintaining a HD average.

izzy88

HSC
also science tends to have ridiculous amounts of hours- it's possible that by overloading your classes might clash too much...depends on the subjects and your timetable.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I was talking to someone from Bond University who graduated at 18/19 and he couldn't secure a graduate position because he was too young. Something to keep in mind anyway.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Possible? Theoretically yes.

There is a reason university degrees are generally 3+ years.

The work load and teaching style is nothing like school, they flog you for 13 weeks. Basically the amount of work you did in a year 12 subject is taught in a 13 week semester. I would not advise that much overloading especially from the outset, sometimes you need special permission and if you did its unlikely to be granted at the outset for someone new to university...its a tough enough transition as it is!

Start with a normal load, if you cope maybe try picking up an extra subject or doing some summer subjects - it will still sorten your degree but not by as much! BTW i understand science has more contact hrs than an arts degree etc because of the practicals etc that may also make overloading hard.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
He never mentioned anything about 1 year though? :/

All in all, I think it's pretty naive to look to complete a degree in 2 years, whilst still getting the HD average for med, when many struggle to achieve this over 3 years.

I'd be interested to know if any past Australia university student has successfully completed a 3yr degree in 2 years whilst maintaining a HD average.
ANU phB students do a science honours degree in 3 years (or have the option to) And they need a HD average to stay in the degree.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
ANU phB students do a science honours degree in 3 years (or have the option to) And they need a HD average to stay in the degree.
That's interesting, but the last line in my response was referring to whether anyone has completed a 3 year degree in 2 years from straight out of high school. I'd be willing to bet my left testicle that it hasn't been achieved (which should be pretty obvious once understand the demands of tertiary study).

Tying in with what studentleader mentioned about young graduates not being considered for work opportunities because of their age, i'd almost say that more often than not, accelerating a degree beyond what is recommended would put you at a distinct disadvantage compared to completing the degree in the standard allocated timeframe. Although, that's probably a bit irrelevant to the topic considering the OP explored the idea of accelerating a degree to jump into another.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)