• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BSc Geophysics - UNSW, USYD, Macq or UTS (1 Viewer)

Sendoh08

HSC
Hey everyone,

Im interested in doing a Bachelor Of Science, majoring in Geophysics.

Ive done some research but need some clarification from all of you ppl currently studying in the listed universities, respectively.

I know that USYD offers this course as well as Macquarie, however UNSW dont seem to have it. Is there a similar course to this one in UNSW or is it just named differently =S

Also, i was told that UNSW has the best Science faculty in sydney (well thats what they said in the info night a few days ago). Opinions??

I've also heard that UTS' science faculty is apparently fail =S Is this true or just a rumour??

Oh, and also how does this degree differ to environmental engineering; to me they seem quite similar =/

So yeah, if you can give me a good comparison between these universities that'll be great =)

Thanks everyone

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Now, I don't do geophysics or geoscience in any way. However, if you want to compare the faculties you're after, I use this site very often as my how-to guide for everything regarding universities and faculties around the world and in Australia.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings

Now, they don't have geophysics as a specific subject, but I'd look at a cross-comparison between physics and what they call 'Earth Sciences'. In terms of the universities you're looking into, UNSW has a better physics department than USyd but only by a few places, which I guess can make all the difference. However, if you look at Sydney's geoscience department it's doing incredibly well, ranking the 17th best geoscience faculty in the world, tying with Yale. Macquarie's geoscience department also ranks above that of UNSW.

I hear quite differently about UNSW's claim. There's no doubt it has the best engineering faculty in Sydney and the broader NSW, but I also hear that USyd is better for the sciences. I'm studying here right now and it's pretty good, but I'm probably biased at that. Making a ranking for you would be biased, so I'll just tell you do go to the open days of Sydney and UNSW, ask them questions about what their geophysics department has to offer and choose the university you think is suitable to your interests. If you can't get into either, then go with Macquarie, then UTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)