BS School Uniform Policies (1 Viewer)

CloudDeter

HSC
One of the most ridiculous things happened at my school today.

Today is particularly cold. So I wear a jacket/hoodie over my school uniform (full school uniform including a long sleeve under my t-shirt, tie and jumper/sweater). All the to keep me WARM.
In the morning today I get asked by the teacher to go up to the side office to get a uniform pass - but not after some arguing (and telling the teacher I could just take the jacket off) and then realising the teacher didn't want to give me a pass but it was her job to send me down to the office.
So I go down to the side office, and clarify that I do need to get a uniform pass even though I am in full school uniform, including a long-sleeve shirt under my t-shirt (which is allowed).
I then proceed to get myself a uniform pass (the first time ever for me) and I am told I get a lunch detention tomorrow.

What the hell. :angryfire:

I understand the school wanting us to be in school uniform and all, but getting a detention for keeping warm on a cold day AND getting a uniform pass for the first time ever.
That is absolute BS.

Now I won't name the school here so I don't get into any trouble, but this is ridiculous.

TLDR; School gave me a lunch time detention for keeping myself warm on a cold day.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation where the school rules have been so ridiculous that you have gotten into trouble over something so trivial?

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
In year 7 DT, we had to make a film thing, and I had my shirt untucked because of it
I walk out of the room we were doing our film in and literally 1-3 seconds later a teacher see's me with my shirt untucked and gives me a detention :\

Shadowless

HSC
One of the most bullsheet things happened at my school today.

Today is particularly cold. I wear a jacket/hoodie over my school uniform (full school uniform including a long sleeve under my t-shirt, tie and jumper/sweater). All the to keep me WARM.
In Period 2 today I get asked by the teacher to go up to the side office to get a uniform pass - but not after some arguing (and telling the teacher I could just take the jacket off) and then realising the teacher didn't want to give me a pass but it was her job to send me down to the office.
So I go down to the side office, and clarify that I do need to get a uniform pass even though I am in full school uniform, including a long-sleeve shirt under my t-shirt (which is allowed).
I then proceed to get myself a uniform pass (the first time ever for me) and I am told I get a lunch detention tomorrow.

What the fuck. :mad:

I understand the school wanting us to be in school uniform and all, but getting a detention for KEEPING WARM on a cold day AND getting a uniform pass for the first time ever.
That is absolute bullshit coming from a bunch of UNIFORM NAZIS.

Now I won't name the school here so I don't get into any trouble, but this is ridiculous.

TLDR; School gave me a lunch time detention for keeping myself warm on a cold day.

I wonder if anyone here has been in a similar situation where the school rules have been so ridiculous that you have gotten into trouble over something so trivial.
LMAO. Reminds me of my high school. Is this school currently ranked between 50 and 100?

CloudDeter

HSC
My school doesn't have a uniform ;)
Never heard of a school in NSW that doesn't have uniform. You're lucky.

LMAO. Reminds me of my high school. Is this school currently ranked between 50 and 100?
No idea. Where do I check the ranking?

EDIT: Our school is ranked higher than 100 (as in above 100).

Last edited:

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
there was one time in my HS when we had this teacher which was so pedantic about uniforms that she convinced the principal to enforce a demerit point system (not kidding) on uniforms. So for example if your tie was not done up properly to the top of the collar or your socks were below the ankle or even if you were wearing a cardigan on top of your uniform you got like a number of demerit points and if your demerit points accumulate to a certain number you wouldn't be allowed to go on any excursions or school outings for the whole term.

D94

HSC
N/A
Socks were one of the more stupid uniform rules at the school I attended.

Guys had to wear grey socks. But if you wore white socks, you would get a detention if your teacher was that serious about it. But is wearing white socks that big of a deal?

If the concern is public appearance, I don't think anyone in the public would give a second look at your socks. If the concern is school identity, that is with respect to the public, so again, they could easily tell you were from this school based on other factors rather than the socks you wore. If the concern was general appearance, white socks and black shoes are not outrageous. If the concern was safety, then grey socks are not advantageous.

So there really isn't a strong reason to disallow white socks, except the fact that it's a school policy which makes it quite ridiculous.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The way you deal with this is rebel - not even joking. Do NOT turn up to the detention and ALWAYS publicly name the school because it's the best way to stop your school from introducing stupid policies. If I had uniform detention, I never, ever turned up because it was completely against my beliefs that wearing an undershirt was unacceptable (my case). I probably also told a teacher to fuck off at one point.

I got the point of telling my school to introduce sufficiently thick uniforms that were at least mildly capable of keeping my body heat within my clothing but until then, I will continue to wear whatever I deem is necessary to maintain my warmth during winter. Otherwise, if you wish for me to change my clothing habits, I expect every single one of the teachers in the school to be wearing at most, the equivalent of what the school uniform shop offers.

Also, St Marys Senior High School doesn't have a uniform.

Frostbitten

HSC
Just threaten the teacher with sexual assualt accusations. It's sure to work.

ebbygoo

HSC
Yes. Our bus lines 'proceedures' are ridiculous. I feel sorry for the bus drivers...

iBibah

HSC
One of the most ridiculous things happened at my school today.

Today is particularly cold. So I wear a jacket/hoodie over my school uniform (full school uniform including a long sleeve under my t-shirt, tie and jumper/sweater). All the to keep me WARM.
In Period 2 today I get asked by the teacher to go up to the side office to get a uniform pass - but not after some arguing (and telling the teacher I could just take the jacket off) and then realising the teacher didn't want to give me a pass but it was her job to send me down to the office.

What the actual fuck. :angryfire:

I understand the school wanting us to be in school uniform and all, but getting a detention for keeping warm on a cold day AND getting a uniform pass for the first time ever.
That is absolute bullshit coming from a bunch of Uniform Nazis.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation where the school rules have been so ridiculous that you have gotten into trouble over something so trivial?
The way you deal with this is rebel - not even joking. Do NOT turn up to the detention and ALWAYS publicly name the school because it's the best way to stop your school from introducing stupid policies. If I had uniform detention, I never, ever turned up because it was completely against my beliefs that wearing an undershirt was unacceptable (my case). I probably also told a teacher to fuck off at one point.

I got the point of telling my school to introduce sufficiently thick uniforms that were at least mildly capable of keeping my body heat within my clothing but until then, I will continue to wear whatever I deem is necessary to maintain my warmth during winter. Otherwise, if you wish for me to change my clothing habits, I expect every single one of the teachers in the school to be wearing at most, the equivalent of what the school uniform shop offers.

Also, St Marys Senior High School doesn't have a uniform.
I don't understand why people bitch about uniform rules. When you enrol at the school, you agree to conform to the rules or accept punishment. No one is forcing you stay there, so you can't rock up and expect to get an education without conforming to their rules. Your taking something from them, you should be giving something back. Even if what they are asking is stupid.

If you wear every piece of available school uniform and you're still not warm enough, then it's time to grow a set (medical conditions excluded), or leave. Don't take it upon yourself to be a hero and wear whatever you want. As far as I know, you can wear whatever you want as long as it's not visible, so OP: wear as many layers as you can without them being seen, not a hoody.

There are some schools, whereby when you enrol the school actually has jurisdiction over anything that may affect their reputation, and they may deem that to be presentation. So if you're seen at the plaza after school with your shirt untucked, they reserve the right to tell you to tuck it in. Can it be seen as ridiculous? Yes. Is it fair? Of course, you signed the papers.

ebbygoo

HSC
There are some schools, whereby when you enrol the school actually has jurisdiction over anything that may affect their reputation, and they may deem that to be presentation. So if you're seen at the plaza after school with your shirt untucked, they reserve the right to tell you to tuck it in. Can it be seen as ridiculous? Yes. Is it fair? Of course, you signed the papers.
I've heard of this as well. It'd be curious to see how the school could enforce this in a public place; it'd be funny to see how it played out if you refused (provided the teacher doesn't know you).

yasminee96

HSC
A friend of mine had her parents called in, having to drive approx. 30-45 mins, all to complain about her wearing a grey scarf as opposed to black/navy blue/blue lol. Mind you our school jumpers are grey haha...

CloudDeter

HSC
I don't understand why people bitch about uniform rules. When you enrol at the school, you agree to conform to the rules or accept punishment. No one is forcing you stay there, so you can't rock up and expect to get an education without conforming to their rules. Your taking something from them, you should be giving something back. Even if what they are asking is stupid.

If you wear every piece of available school uniform and you're still not warm enough, then it's time to grow a set (medical conditions excluded), or leave. Don't take it upon yourself to be a hero and wear whatever you want. As far as I know, you can wear whatever you want as long as it's not visible, so OP: wear as many layers as you can without them being seen, not a hoody.

Let me tell you that they actually changed the policy (I just read it up online) for our specific school last year. They never distributed any sort of notice (not in paper or email) about this. Please tell me how getting a detention straight out from getting my first uniform pass is fair.
And I don't remember signing anything with the school policies written on it.
It's common sense really - why you punish a student for keeping them self warm?

OP get the fuck over it, you should get detention every day.

something ur a ruthless bastard
I never said I was a ruthless bastard. In fact I have never gotten into trouble with my school like this before, just so you know. You haven't been to this school so you wouldn't know the shit I've had to put up with it already.

iBibah

HSC
I've heard of this as well. It'd be curious to see how the school could enforce this in a public place; it'd be funny to see how it played out if you refused (provided the teacher doesn't know you).
It's not that difficult. They refuse to adhere, they receive some sort of punishment. They don't want to do the time, they get asked to leave.

Most teachers don't really care about untucked shirts etc. outside school, but they do have the right to say something.
Let me tell you that they actually changed the policy (I just read it up online) for our specific school last year. They never distributed any sort of notice (not in paper or email) about this. Please tell me how getting a detention straight out from getting my first uniform pass is fair.
And I don't remember signing anything with the school policies written on it.
It's common sense really - why you punish a student for keeping them self warm?
You didn't point out it was changed without notice, even so I'm inlcined to believe that the hoodie was never allowed.

You are one student. They don't review every students case (unless serious). It's simple, wear the school uniform, or cop the punishment.

You don't have to, you parents probably did. By enrolling you'll be surprised how many rights you have given them.

Like I said, it's not all about you. There is a whole school to look after, and anyone can claim some "common sense" reason to wear or do something. I already said you can wear whatever you want as long as it's not visible.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I got a uniform detention for having an under shirt that wasn't white - couldn't be seen, at least, not very well.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
I got a uniform detention for having an under shirt that wasn't white - couldn't be seen, at least, not very well.
yeah mate thats a detention at any school, white undershirts only

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It was actually a textured white shirt with one brown stripe to be more specific but it wasn't considered white.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)