brand names - dont they suck! (1 Viewer)

strong_helga

Western Sydney bitches! yeah up for fairfield!
HSC
do brand names suck or not?
is it worth the money you spend on them? just to buy an image?
or are they a waste of money?
besides, whats with the phases of a certain brand being cool?
any favourite brands?

i think theyre a waste of money, and you an get the same stuff for so much cheaper! i buy most of my stuff from opshops and the like, so i dont care about the image a brand name gives me. I think it's all dumb.

^_^

Glen Anderson

Captain Affirmative
HSC
yeah i dont see why people go for them it the same clothes but with a tiny picture. i mostly get my clothes from our target, or other little local shops
i never got sucked into all that though. thank god for never being popular *sighs*

18Googol2

HSC
N/A
Well, with branch name, it makes me more confident. That is, lolz

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
It depends what it is...I fail to see the point in paying $150 to have "Roxy" painted across my arse when a $50 pair of jeans are just as good.

But, I will quite happily spend that amount on a pair of Colorado shoes, because I know the quality is there.

Carnivour

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
It depends what it is...I fail to see the point in paying $150 to have "Roxy" painted across my arse when a $50 pair of jeans are just as good.

But, I will quite happily spend that amount on a pair of Colorado shoes, because I know the quality is there.
yep, totally agree. a lot of the time brands are better quality than your average no-band. like yesterday i bought a towel from target and it left half of its threads on my body...thats where i wanted a brand like Sheridon, which cost about 5 times as much, but obviously much better quality.
shoes are another great example. a lot of shoes fall apart so quickly, that its more of a waste because you have to buy more frequently.
but stuff like T-shirts are pretty pointless, especially if its like Ralph Lauren which look identical to any polo you can get from big w, except they have a little flag on your boob. heaps good.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
strong_helga said:
besides, whats with the phases of a certain brand being cool?
good question. How do good brands get where they are, and how come they're able to get so much money for their logo? Like how would a new brand rise up the ranks to being a well-known, popular, expensive brand?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Eh not a fan, I like wearing the stuff me and my mum design or some "original" sorts of pieces I see in places like cruise and tightrope and stuff.
Though i'd not hesistate to buy a decent pair of shoes say Diana Ferrari because I expect shoes of good qualiy...not like Big W brand with their so called "leather" shoes.

But I refuse to buy converse... [i'm the only one I know who refuses]
I'd buy Doc Martens though

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ahah i'd say i'm the most anti fashion girl here, i'd rather wear jeans for 10 dollars instead of spending 200 dollars for jeans that do the same thing, sometimes i buy stuff for 100 or over, but that's for special occasions, weddings n stuff....otherwise i wear whatever.

Tess653

HSC
i recently spent $150 on a pair of jeans which ripped a couple of months later. admittedly, that may have been my own fault for buying jeans will fake worn patches, and not realising that they were a weak point in the fabric.

even so, i was not impressed

will i spend that much again? yes
will i move onto bettina liano jeans (about twice as much, something which factored rather heavily in my justification for buying these jeans)? probably

i might stay clear of fake rips from now on though

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
hipsta_jess said:

that being said, i found the best jeans today. they fit so well, they're so hot. they set me back 100 bucks (yeaaah they're roxy) but i dont give a toss because they're soooo good.
i look in the mirror and i want to screw myself.

gaypsych101

HSC
I wear whatever makes me look hot (be it brand or not), if it's a pair of hot prada sunnies; i'll fork our acouple of hundered. If it's a pair of cheapo cool pants from paddies market;i also buy that aslong as it looks great on me.
I get alot of tips from my uncle (who works as a fashion designer). But he lives overseas so i only get clothes from him when we visite him.
But mostly i'm against brands on shirts and pants, i'd hate wearing a prada shirt with a huge stiching across the chest saying "PRADA" cause i don't like paying alot of money just to advatise there stinky brands....

fatwhale

HSC
sometimes they are just as good their impersonaters/fakes but they last longer.........

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Good brand usually has a good quality as well, but if I can find something cheaper with same quality, I won't care about brand names. That's why I never buy anything at Myer/David Jones, as you can find the things you need far cheaper in Target/Kmart, and the quality I can say must be the same. Of course unless you are wealthy, prosperous or have too much money to spend. (for the latter one, you can help someone in need like me:p).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
azzie said:
that being said, i found the best jeans today. they fit so well, they're so hot. they set me back 100 bucks (yeaaah they're roxy) but i dont give a toss because they're soooo good.
i look in the mirror and i want to screw myself.
But, see, thats different, because you fell in love with the fit and look of the jeans, not the label.

I have nothing against buying name-brands (such as my Colorado example) , but I would never buy something purely coz it was a certain brand, or whatever. Buy something because its high quality, or looks sexable on you, or whatever. If this means it comes from Target, Big W, or Best & Less, it is no different to if it comes from Collette Dinnigan, Peter Morrissey, or some big name surf brand.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
To answer the question.. sometimes..

I am a bit of a clothes horse with my fashion and I do buy a fair few brand names, but often because of the quality and style difference. Eg. sunnies; I only buy brands because I take care of them and they look good on me! Jeans; quality and fit and the chicks at the surf shop don't lie to me and try to sell me chics jeans like the biatch at just jeans! Shirts; depends, I love some of my jeans west polos but also a big fan of some rip curl, diesel and other brands

Rule of thumb: I only ever buy target brands if they are the relatively pricey ones because the cheap ones are crap, I know, I used to have to mark them down and cut off unravelling threads etc each shift

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i cant afford clothes thesedays since theyve went up like 10 fold over the past 5 years. Not too big on the brands since im poor, but if someone else was to pay...
Depending on the brand, you could also be paying for quality. Theres alot of expensive brands out there that are shit quality.

Qlimax

HSC
some branding is okay
having it once every so often..
spoil yourself you know?

have an industry or deisel top and wear it out on special occasions..

it's not an necessity

i mean i wear all normal shit..
some from cotton on, some from jayjay's
although I do go to the occasional glue/urban stores to buy some stuff..
just to spoil yourself..

HSC
I neither buy only brand names, nor don't buy brand names. As a few people said, if it looks good, suits you and feels good then I'll buy it, regardless of where its from, what brand it is etc, and if that means it is something that has the brand name plastered all over it or is the opposite and has no indications of where its from, I'll get it it I like it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)