Brace myself for disappointment...? (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
So i screwed up trials, but I go to the school which came 2nd in the state last year... i plan on sacrificing everything and studying my ass off 24/7 and getting 100/100 for every single hsc exam, but i want to know whether to prepare myself for disappointment or not.

don't quite know my exact ranks but hypothetically

i do 11 units.

Maths - ranked LAST
Chem - ranked ALMOST LAST
history extension - below average.
advanced english - average
extension 2 english - say average..
modern history - a little above average
extension english - ranked well above average

If i get 100 for every external exam, would i be looking at a MAX ATAR of <94, or can i still get 98? I'm aiming for 95-97, but 98 would be nice. I know im Capable of getting 100 in say maths if i put the effort in, but will i just be disappointed? cause im happy to settle for something in lower 90's.

Remember that my aim is to get 100 for external Raw marks, not scaled.

they say our school's "average UAI" is supposed to be 98... but i want to know:

For 2unit maths, do the marks that the 3unit students get in the HSC exam lift the rank of the school's 2unit mark too?

Or do i have to rely only on the performance of my school's 2unit maths (dropkick) cohort?

just assume for now that this years cohort WILL do as well as last years, ranked in the top 2%.

thanks soo much to anyone who can help..

Last edited:
K

khorne

Sorry to say, you won't get a 100 for each exam, no one has ever gotten 500/500!

Otherwise, all is not lost, however 98ish seems quite high...

But in saying this, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose...get studying!

Scinery

HSC
500/500 = scaled*

lol im sure its theoretically possible for ME to get 100/100 for every hsc exam exam, if people at my school can get 100/100 for almost all their Trials...

But my question is, even if i DO will i still be dissappointed?

(the idea is, if you say "yeah if u get 100/100 you can get 97+", lol ill be motivated to work harder than if my ATAR is capped under 95 no matter how hard i try)

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
500/500 = scaled*

lol im sure its theoretically possible for me to get 100/100 for every hsc exam exam, if people at my school can get 100/100 for almost all their trials...

But my question is, even if i do will i still be dissappointed?

(the idea is, if you say "yeah if u get 100/100 you can get 97+", lol ill be motivated to work harder than if my atar is capped under 95 no matter how hard i try)
how on earth are people going to dtermine the atar with just rank? I mean your rank in class means abso;utly nothing in determining your atar.

Put up your ranks adn would see where you will lie

johony

HSC
hey dude

i'm nearly in the same exact position as you, poor performer at a high performing school. ranks are something like: last to second last in 2U, below average for modern, below average for eco, average for adv english, just above average in art.

shit 2U cohort too, although the year 11 3U is going to be taken into account too.

only thing we can do is perform very well in the hsc and bring everything up. 100/100 is unachievable imo, 90/100 is something you should be looking at - and work harder on your strengths.

Last edited:

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
how on earth are people going to dtermine the atar with just rank? I mean your rank in class means abso;utly nothing in determining your atar.

Put up your ranks adn would see where you will lie
some explaination would be great

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
So i screwed up trials, but I go to the school which came 2nd in the state last year... i plan on sacrificing everything and studying my ass off 24/7 and getting 100/100 for every single hsc exam, but i want to know whether to prepare myself for disappointment or not.
Do u mean for your trials u were ranked "last, below average.." etc? Or after the trials were done, you found out you were ranked low?

Also, if you somehow manage to get 100 raw mark for every test, you should definitely get at least 95, but more like 96 or 97.

Plus I think you would be overestimating how crap you are currently going, especially seeing as you're school is 2nd and your avg UAI is 98. Even below average students at your school will get a decent UAI.

Scinery

HSC
i meant that after my shit performance in trials, my internal ranks are probably very low even though we haven't told what they are (stupid).

bell531 said:
Also, if you somehow manage to get 100 raw mark for every test, you should definitely get at least 95, but more like 96 or 97.
thanks, that is reassuring :)

i'm nearly in the same exact position as you
we shall ace the hsc.

zazzy makes no sense?

johony

HSC
zazzy makes no sense?
she's probably talking about how it's possible for people to determine your predicted atar with only your internal rank, and how that internal rank would have no final determination on your atar. both of which is untrue.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
ignore zazzy, clueless.

anyways, i doubt u'll get 100/100 external for ANY exam.
and if you DO get 100/100 external for every exam, i'm sure most uni's would want you anyway, regardless of your ATAR.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
she's probably talking about how it's possible for people to determine your predicted atar with only your internal rank, and how that internal rank would have no final determination on your atar. both of which is untrue.
that is what i mean exactly!!!

but my school told me that the internal ranks don't effect ur ATAR (i hope it does though coz my ranks r good) and neither do the type of subjects.

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
You're quite arrogant, and getting high 90s in every hsc exam is very unlikely given your current position. I'm pretty sure though that the performance of 3u maths people in the 2u exams will affect you

HSC
Assuming you achieve the highly improbable if not impossible scenario of 100% scaled for every external exam your ATAR would be 99.95. Your internal ranks would be irrelevant since as I understand the person who comes first in your school (which would be you in getting full marks) gets the top moderated mark in your school for that particular subject. So in this hypothetical scenario, of course you could get over 98:)

For any subject e.g. 2 unit advanced maths, everyone who is taking that subject in your school would classify as the school cohort for that subject. This includes your 2 uniter "dropkicks" (lol especially after my maths trial that would be me at my school) as well as the 2 unit maths results of the 3 unit kids, so not to fear:D

By the sounds of it you could definitely achieve a Band 6 for maths with consistent effort, so don't give up and even if your final mark for maths doesn't end up being 100 lol then you should be pretty happy in being able to achieve a personal best. Bracing for disappointment now might deter you from trying to get the best possible marks for yourself so focus on what can be done rather than what might have been in the past or focusing on a worst case scenario.

If you get that band 6 for maths and chem doesn't count then you definitely won't have to brace yourself for disappointment because a 95+ is definitely achievable.

Even if you're just getting average marks for English for example, I'm guessing that for a school like yours it could still equate to a Band 6 in the HSC when these results are moderated. Further, doing average in subjects like extension history and 4 unit english is still pretty insane since the best english and history students take these subjects so you're already competing with the best.

You probably didn't fail trials as badly as you think because I was thinking the same thing but was pleasantly surprised at getting some of mine back:p Everyone thinks they've failed, often when they've gotten commendable marks so don't think you've screwed up your internal ranks just yet.

So if you do really well in your external marks and so does your school as a whole you should be able to aim for a 95+. Even if that doesn't happen in the final thing as long as you can achieve personal bests no one can ask for more, but your goal is definitely achievable!

Good luck:)

* Sorry I have no idea why that weird thumbs down is in the title of my response but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Assuming you achieve the highly improbable if not impossible scenario of 100% scaled for every external exam your ATAR would be 99.95. Your internal ranks would be irrelevant since as I understand the person who comes first in your school (which would be you in getting full marks) gets the top moderated mark in your school for that particular subject. So in this hypothetical scenario, of course you could get over 98:)
nope, thats wrong.

Scinery

HSC
really? darn my legal teacher was explaining it today and I though I finally understood it:p
dw i appreciated the comment anyway lol

yeah i know im having somewhat high aims lol but the idea is "aim for 100 and hope for 95+", and any excess is well appreciated.
but i decided to ask BOS hypothetically if it would be a waste of effort EVEN IF i could get 100. I'm just going to take it that it DEFINITELY WONT BE A WASTE OF EFFORT and study my ass off to my potential as planned.

thanks for the replies!

Master Username

HSC
1) Get off BOS
2) Turn off all devices classified as "fun".
3) Lock yourself in a room full of HSC books.
4) STUDY, STUDY LIKE YOU"VE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!

Now get out there dude, and earn your 100/100 marks! I know you can do it! I believe in you!!!

Disclaimer: I claim no resposibility for overconfidence and in turn, failure of the HSC. The diffuculty of achieving full marks will be much greater than what is implied in above.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Tbh there wouldn't be much difference if you got 100 raw or 95 raw in all externals, they both scale up to around 50 anyway

Edit: assuming you do high scaling subjects

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
really? darn my legal teacher was explaining it today and I though I finally understood it:p
this would be only the case if the person who got 100% in the HSC exam, was ranked first INTERNALLY, i.e. in their school assessments.
In simple terms, the person who comes 1st in SCHOOL assessments gets the 1st ranked HSC exam mark as their school mark(in this hypothetical case it would be 100), and their Hsc mark as their HSC mark( lets just say 97).

but in this case, this person is not 1st internally, but rather near the bottom. so they'd get 100 for their HSC mark, but their internal mark would be lower.(lets say 92)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
OP: If you are like ranked last or like second last or whatever (that is not at the top end or even one of the top end), you won't even get near 100 External. It is just impossible to improve that much from now until HSC.

The biggest improvement I saw from someone was getting around 88 in Trials for Physics (2nd in the year) and topping the state at the end. You have to admit that this is very very rare.

OP, I suggest you to work harder and smarter. Don't expect HUGE improvement as it will further dissapoint you if you don't achieve to what you hoped. Just relax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)