BoS Trials Maths, Physics and Business Studies 2023 (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Want some valuable exposure to harder questions in the HSC exams, rather than the same generic/recycled ones?

Want to do a practice paper under simulated exam conditions in preparation for your HSC?

Know anyone at school who is good at HSC Maths, Physics or Business Studies?

It is that time of year once again! This year Bored of Studies will be holding trial exams for:

Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 2
Physics (for the first time ever!)
Business Studies (for the first time ever!)

Note: In case anyone asks, there will be no Chemistry trial exam this year due to an insufficient number of people available to develop the paper :(. However, this does NOT mean it is called off for future years…if you are interested in becoming involved in its development next year, I would like to hear from you!

These are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits on how well they really know their stuff. The exams have been designed by our team maintaining a high standard of challenging questions, whilst remaining within the bounds of the HSC syllabus.

They will challenge you, interest you and show you different ways of thinking for certain topics to help give you an edge for the actual HSC exam. Students who have taken these trial exams in previous years can attest to this. Last year, we had over 40+ students take on our flagship Maths trial exams. This will be one of your last chances to practice a full exam as close to HSC exam conditions as possible.

Note: These are not your average trial papers. These papers are heavily skewed towards the more challenging questions (i.e. filtered out most of the boring/repetitive easy stuff in a typical trial paper). Students who may be worried about losing motivation after attempting the paper are reminded that this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC exam itself.

Date and time of the exams
The below are the scheduled exam dates and times (including reading time). It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to this.
Mathematics Extension 2
Tuesday 3rd of October

9:50am - 1:00pm

Mathematics Extension 1
Tuesday 3rd of October

2:50pm - 5:00pm
Physics
Wednesday 4th of October

9.55am - 1.00pm

Business Studies
Wednesday 4th of October

2.25pm - 5.30pm

Place of the exams
All exams will take place at the Sydney Centre of Mathematics in Paramatta, which is only a 5 minute walk from Parramatta station.
Sydney Centre of Mathematics
Level 3/2 Wentworth St
Parramatta NSW 2150
1695455772087.png

Target audience
It is highly recommended that students attempting the papers are around (or at least aiming for) the band 6 or band E4 range. The exams will very thoroughly examine your understanding of different topics, but more importantly your ability to apply this to solving problems under exam conditions.

What to bring
The usual materials allowed for the HSC exams, including pen and calculator. Exam writing booklets will be provided on the day, where applicable.

Cost
We kindly ask that you each donate just $10 per day (cash only) to partially cover our printing costs. If you are doing one or two papers on the same day, you only need to pay once. If you are doing one or more papers across both days, we ask that you pay separately on each day.

The rest comes out of our own pockets. Contrary to what you might hear, we are actually NOT paid to put the time and resources into designing the paper and marking your responses. This is a volunteer effort, purely out of our passion to offer you guys something unique and valuable for your studies.

How to register
Please send me a private message (here or click on "Start a new conversation" on my profile) stating the following for each attendee:
• Username
• Name
• School
• Which exam(s) you will be sitting (Maths Ext1, Maths Ext2, Physics, Business Studies)
• How you first found out about this event
Please ensure that you keep an eye on this thread for any key updates and releases of the exam paper, solutions and marks.

Note that we do have a registration cap of 50 people for each exam, so get in quick!

If you wish to invite some friends (which I encourage provided they fit the recommended target audience described above), you may register on their behalf by providing their details as well. If you know anybody who is ‘beast’ at Maths, Physics or Business Studies, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from us.

If you do not have an account, I encourage you to make one (it's free!).

Once you have registered, you will receive a student number to confirm your registration. Keep this student number with you for each exam. You can use it to track your results when I put the marks online (only the student number and marks will be shown). You are only registered when I have replied with your student number. Please be patient as it takes time for me to get through all the registrations.

Past exams and solutions

For Maths, we do have past papers since 2012 to give you an idea of what to expect (yes...we have been doing this for 10+ years! :skip:). Keep in the mind that whilst the new syllabus was in place since 2020, the majority of the questions in those past papers are still relevant to the current syllabus.

For Chemistry (provided here as a general resource), we have past papers for 2020-2022. Please note that official solutions were not written for the 2021 paper.

Note the since this is the first year for Physics and Business Studies, there are obviously no past papers.

Feel free to use them as preparation for this year's paper or just practice in general.

Chemistry
https://www.boredofstudies.org/resources/bos-trial-chemistry-2020-2022-exams-and-solutions.19830/

Mathematics Advanced (2013-2015 only)
https://www.boredofstudies.org/resources/bos-trials-mathematics-2013-2015-exams-and-solutions.17177/

Mathematics Extension 1
https://www.boredofstudies.org/reso...ension-1-2012-2022-exams-and-solutions.17484/

Mathematics Extension 2
https://www.boredofstudies.org/reso...ension-2-2012-2022-exams-and-solutions.17485/

Look forward to seeing you there! :)

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Want some valuable exposure to harder questions in the HSC exams, rather than the same generic/recycled ones?

Want to do a practice paper under simulated exam conditions in preparation for your HSC?

Know anyone at school who is good at HSC Maths, Physics or Business Studies?

It is that time of year once again! This year Bored of Studies will be holding trial exams for:

Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 2
Physics (for the first time ever!)
Business Studies (for the first time ever!)

Note: In case anyone asks, there will be no Chemistry trial exam this year due to an insufficient number of people available to develop the paper :(. However, this does NOT mean it is called off for future years…if you are interested in becoming involved in its development next year, I would like to hear from you!

These are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits on how well they really know their stuff. The exams have been designed by our team maintaining a high standard of challenging questions, whilst remaining within the bounds of the HSC syllabus.

They will challenge you, interest you and show you different ways of thinking for certain topics to help give you an edge for the actual HSC exam. Students who have taken these trial exams in previous years can attest to this. Last year, we had over 40+ students take on our flagship Maths trial exams. This will be one of your last chances to practice a full exam as close to HSC exam conditions as possible.

Note: These are not your average trial papers. These papers are heavily skewed towards the more challenging questions (i.e. filtered out most of the boring/repetitive easy stuff in a typical trial paper). Students who may be worried about losing motivation after attempting the paper are reminded that this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC exam itself.

Date and time of the exams
The below are the scheduled exam dates and times (including reading time). It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to this.

Place of the exams
All exams will take place at the Sydney Centre of Mathematics in Paramatta, which is only a 5 minute walk from Parramatta station.

View attachment 39895

Target audience
It is highly recommended that students attempting the papers are around (or at least aiming for) the band 6 or band E4 range. The exams will very thoroughly examine your understanding of different topics, but more importantly your ability to apply this to solving problems under exam conditions.

What to bring
The usual materials allowed for the HSC exams, including pen and calculator. Exam writing booklets will be provided on the day, where applicable.

Cost
We kindly ask that you each donate just $10 per day (cash only) to partially cover our printing costs. If you are doing one or two papers on the same day, you only need to pay once. If you are doing one or more papers across both days, we ask that you pay separately on each day.

The rest comes out of our own pockets. Contrary to what you might hear, we are actually NOT paid to put the time and resources into designing the paper and marking your responses. This is a volunteer effort, purely out of our passion to offer you guys something unique and valuable for your studies.

How to register

Please ensure that you keep an eye on this thread for any key updates and releases of the exam paper, solutions and marks.

Note that we do have a registration cap of 50 people for each exam, so get in quick!

If you wish to invite some friends (which I encourage provided they fit the recommended target audience described above), you may register on their behalf by providing their details as well. If you know anybody who is ‘beast’ at Maths, Physics or Business Studies, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from us.

If you do not have an account, I encourage you to make one (it's free!).

Once you have registered, you will receive a student number to confirm your registration. Keep this student number with you for each exam. You can use it to track your results when I put the marks online (only the student number and marks will be shown). You are only registered when I have replied with your student number. Please be patient as it takes time for me to get through all the registrations.

Past exams and solutions

For Maths, we do have past papers since 2012 to give you an idea of what to expect (yes...we have been doing this for 10+ years! :skip:). Keep in the mind that whilst the new syllabus was in place since 2020, the majority of the questions in those past papers are still relevant to the current syllabus.

For Chemistry (provided here as a general resource), we have past papers for 2020-2022. Please note that official solutions were not written for the 2021 paper.

Note the since this is the first year for Physics and Business Studies, there are obviously no past papers.

Feel free to use them as preparation for this year's paper or just practice in general.

Chemistry
https://www.boredofstudies.org/resources/bos-trial-chemistry-2020-2022-exams-and-solutions.19830/

Mathematics Advanced (2013-2015 only)
https://www.boredofstudies.org/resources/bos-trials-mathematics-2013-2015-exams-and-solutions.17177/

Mathematics Extension 1
https://www.boredofstudies.org/reso...ension-1-2012-2022-exams-and-solutions.17484/

Mathematics Extension 2
https://www.boredofstudies.org/reso...ension-2-2012-2022-exams-and-solutions.17485/

Look forward to seeing you there! :)
When will the papers be released online

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to everyone who has registered so far! :)

Just an update. There are still some limited spots available for Maths and plenty of spots available for Business Studies and Physics. So don't assume we're full just yet...

carrotsss

HSC
Thanks to everyone who has registered so far! :)

Just an update. There are still some spots available for Maths and plenty of spots available for Business Studies and Physics. So don't assume we're full just yet...
how are registrations compared to last year out of curiosity?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bump!

I've been getting quite a few questions about whether we are still open for registration. The answer is yes we are still open for all subjects at this stage so do not hesitate to register! :)

Please ensure you follow the instructions detailed in the first post when you register.

We are getting closer to capacity for Maths (but still open with a decent number of spots) but still plenty for Physics and Business Studies!

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Bump!

I've been getting quite a few questions about whether we are still open for registration. The answer is yes we are still open for all subjects at this stage so do not hesitate to register! :)

Please ensure you follow the instructions detailed in the first post when you register.

We are getting closer to capacity for Maths (but still open) but still plenty for Physics and Business Studies!
generally how difficult would the math papers be? similar to last years hsc or no?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
generally how difficult would the math papers be? similar to last years hsc or no?
Basically, they are more concentrated with interesting/challenging questions than the HSC or any trial paper (which is why the target audience is band 6/E4 range).

Basically, the thinking is that the boring/repetitive stuff can be readily practiced with your existing resources. The whole motivation of the BoS trial is so that you have a resource that gets you more practice and exposure to unseen harder stuff that the HSC could potentially throw at you typically near the end of the paper.

Some past questions (or variations thereof) have even made their way into other trial papers and/or HSC exam itself. So it's not like they're impossible questions; they are definitely plausible questions that can be tested in the HSC.

See the past papers to see what they are like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)