Boots at a formal event? (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
More semi-formal, really - judging by the venue - and it's an 18th. Just for reference, some dudes will be wearing suits and others won't. So, paired with a black strapless 60's-ish dress (mid-calf length) and black opaque stockings, would knee-high stiletto boots look retarculous? I'm going insane trying to deicde what to wear >_<
The dress is shaped pretty much like this, except longer, and it has a thin belt underneath the bust. And yes I'm very bad at describing clothes :D
And if this idea totally sucks, what else could work for an 18th? I'm not a very cocktail-dress kinda person, which seems to be the most popular choice for this sort of thing :( Boots are very "me" but I don't want to look completely out of place.

Thanks in advance dudes!
Dani

lengy

HSC
Boots that are thigh high can be extremely sexy with a black cocktail dress. :p

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
I'm a bit wary of ankle boots, they make me look funny cause I'm so short :(

I tend to go for dresses just below knee-length, pretty much any colour. I'm half looking for an excuse to buy cool boots :D which is silly I know. But I can never get the dress/shoes combination to work quite right. I'm mainly worried about how formal an event like this is meant to be, I guess I'll be asking my friend for more specific details (and my date about what he's wearing so we match and all that)

lengy said:
Hahah I wish I owned a pair :D:p It'd go down lovely at the party

PrettyVacant

HSC
Tulipa said:
No.

Don't wear boots with something below the knee. You can't pull it off unless you have super fashion savvy and even then ...

Heels work best kiddo.
Yeah, the dress is too long. =P

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Sweet, seems like the general consensus that the boots are a no-go so I'll go window shopping tomorrow and see what else I can come up with. Wish me luck, I'll need it :D

xo Dani

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
lengy said:
*nodds*

but!
seeing as ur dress is past ur kneess.. it might not work. [if it were shorter it could? but could also look tres skanky.]

I'm not sure what kinda boots you are talking about.. [but if theyre dressy.. then maybe.. but i'm just concerned from ur post in the school thread... (and the link2 the site of ur potential formal dress..) that the boots might be a bit gothicish? i'm not sure if that would work...

i'm withthe others- Heels to be on the safe side..

:) i'm sure u'll look wonderful regardlesssss(L)

CieL

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
I'm a bit wary of ankle boots, they make me look funny cause I'm so short :(
imo, if you're short, the higher the boots, the more it emphasises the fact that you're short..

I would say heels too..

I hate dressing up. It's too stressful.

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
nichhhole said:
I'm not sure what kinda boots you are talking about.. [but if theyre dressy.. then maybe.. but i'm just concerned from ur post in the school thread... (and the link2 the site of ur potential formal dress..) that the boots might be a bit gothicish? i'm not sure if that would work...
Hahah I think I scared everyone a bit with that link :D nah, not really gothic kinda boots, I do lust after those occasionally but I was thinking more along the lines of this or even this. Would those second ones work 'cause they don't come up as high, maybe? (I'm a hopeless boot-addict)

:) i'm sure u'll look wonderful regardlesssss(L)
Hehe spankyou veddy much <3

lengy

HSC
The second one might work with your just below knee length dress. The second one with just about knee length dress.

CieL

HSC
So you're saying you're going to wear

BLACK dress
BLACK opaque stockings
BLACK boots....

lengy

HSC
Make sure you wear black earrings, dark eye shadow, black eyeliner, black lipstick and black nails to go with it. :p

Am I missing anything?

You can probably do away with the black stockings. Wear some silver or gold jewellery. Red lipstick and red nails.

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
:haha: I was thinking white and silver handbag, silver earrings, silver necklace, I don't normally wear nail polish but if I find the right shade of red I'd probably do a switch for red accessories. Also, totally have to link to these boots cause they're so damn cute :D stretchy suede boots are pretty awesome looking but I don't know if I could pull it off.

Edited to add: What about lace stockings. I have a few pairs of those and they are totally awesome. But they hurt my heels after a while! Am I the only one who gets this :(

lengy

HSC
No. Stick with the white and silver theme. And no to those boots.

xoxo

HSC
i love the dress but cant see it with boots - at all
im like you - ankle boots are really not my thing.
pretty much what everyone else has suggested, go for some nice heels - u can never go wrong =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)