BMI question (1 Viewer)

hairspray

HSC
Im very confused about thw Body Mass Index system. I have a BMI of 18.75, am i overweight? And if so... between what numbers should i be to be healthy?

Nat3skiz

HSC
hairspray said:
Im very confused about thw Body Mass Index system. I have a BMI of 18.75, am i overweight? And if so... between what numbers should i be to be healthy?
i think thats counted as underweight in the BMI system. BMI is more of an assumption, and in alot of cases can be fairly innacurate. If you look underweight then perhaps its got this one right.

kony

HSC
if you're east Asian, then you're in the healthy range. if you're anything else, you're underweight.

Asians just have lower tolerance to fat.

suzieee

HSC
i was studying this today for an exam next week... my textbook says anything below 18 is underweight, but on the same page it says anything below 18.5 is underweight. even my textbook is confused :)

suzieee

HSC
oh and my doctor told me i was slightly underweight and my bmi is 18.3 so i guess hes going by the anything under 18.5 one

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kony said:
if you're east Asian, then you're in the healthy range. if you're anything else, you're underweight.

Asians just have lower tolerance to fat.
the BMI was a system use for rough indications
underweigh= at risk about 2x for vitamin defiencies and some malnutrition syndromes

normal= average risk

overweight = 2 x risk normal of Cardiovascular disease..

obese = 10 x risk normal of cardiovascular disease..

its sumfing lik tat ...

the normal 20-25 range is based on a caucasian study

the East asian one.. is lik 18-23.. and is based on a hong kong study.. those of african descent its normal is higher (? 20-26) due to bone and muscle density

the BMI is realli a screening tool not a definative test... like body builders with BMI = obese.. have lik lean body masses of <5% when most normal ppl are lik 10-20% for males..

quik.

HSC
Asians have a totally different BMI graph thing (I don't know what to call it) altogether. Pretty sure a fair few races do.

Friend of Ana

HSC
You're not overweight.

I'm trying to get a BMI of < 14 at the moment.

It's currently 13.99999...

So frustrating.

That said, DON'T try the same thing. My predicted UAI is 30 at the moment. And plummenting.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
if your BMI is under 20 you are underweight and may face possible health risks.

Nat3skiz

HSC
chelsea girl said:
if your BMI is under 20 you are underweight and may face possible health risks.
this isn't necessarily true at all.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
hairspray said:
You are severly overweight :uhoh:, I highly suggest you get on a diet and do that surgery where they staple your stomach.

A good 10-15 BMI should do the trick :read:

tahlsy31191

HSC
BMI is the biggest load of crap. It was designed by a mathematican who had nothing to do with dietary.
I mean, it doesn't account for muscle and bone mass. According to BMI test, Lance Armstrong was considered overweight during the 1993 Tour De France.
My BMI is 17.2, I have a naturally thin build (52kgs) and I am 174cm tall. It is really unrealistic seeing as I eat what I want when I want. Genetics need to be to accounted for!
If you want a more accurate idea, do the hip to waist ratio.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
According to BMI I'm underweight and always have been but it's bullshit. I have a small frame, it doesn't mean I'm going to get a vitamin deficiency or that I don't eat enough, quite the contrary. If anything I probably need more muscle weight. Moral of the story don't trust what your BMI implies about your health, trust how you feel.

HSC
Friend of Ana said:
You're not overweight.

I'm trying to get a BMI of < 14 at the moment.

It's currently 13.99999...

So frustrating.

That said, DON'T try the same thing. My predicted UAI is 30 at the moment. And plummenting.
With your maths skills it's no wonder you made that UAI prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)